Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Your post was about operating systems, not software compilers.
The fist decent software his company produced was Windows 2000
No it wasn't. Again I ask you, what did you think that means? I am in the business. My definition of good software is reliability. Even their DOS was inferior to its competitors.

Quote:
Win2K was not MS's first OS, MS-DOS was and was their bread and butter for years.
Decent.

Quote:
I have no intentions of changing my reply. An operating system is NOT the same as software applications.

Then you are stubborn to a fault. You simply did not read my post correctly. My post was about Gates and the software associated with him. He started out as a BASIC hacker, and the first stable operating system MS created I view as Windows 2000.

First and first decent are not the same things.

I was also talking about the open hardware spec from IBM. You probably don't even know what I am talking bout. And BASIC is not an application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The fist decent software his company produced was Windows 2000
No it wasn't. Again I ask you, what did you think that means? I am in the business. My definition of good software is reliability. Even their DOS was inferior to its competitors.

Decent.

Then you are stubborn to a fault. You simply did not read my post correctly. My post was about Gates and the software associated with him. He started out as a BASIC hacker, and the first stable operating system MS created I view as Windows 2000.

First and first decent are not the same things.
Back in the 80's PC-DOS was pretty much "it" for consumers.
"Decent" is in the eye of the beholder.
I was also in the industry..systems programmer for 20+ years.
Notice there's not much call for a "systems" programmer anymore....

Linus is where it's at today.

MS created PC-DOS which IBM put on all their PC's.

While you think Win2K was decent I thought Windows NT was decent.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Not in the eye of the beholder of when another posts it. My post is objective from the stand point of reading my intent. My intent with decent was clearly not the first. Decent was a qualifier.

Quote:

Not a good one if first decent and decent means the same thing to you. Need to keep tack of qualifiers in logic. And you cannot define your own qualifiers in someone else's code.

If you mean Linus and his creation Linux, that is what falls under system programming today.

Operating Systems and System Programming | UC Berkeley Video Course

Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:

MS created PC-DOS which IBM put on all their PC's.

While you think Win2K was decent I thought Windows NT was decent.

NT was a POS. I had Solaris up times going in 600+ days while NT would burn to the ground in days or worse. dll hell? No thanks. I could isolate my libraries and test for stability. In that world they just do the equivalent of dumping in a new libC and hoping for the best. NT's remote administration was a joke.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
NT was a POS. I had Solaris up times going in 600+ days while NT would burn to the ground in days or worse. dll hell? No thanks. I could isolate my libraries and test for stability. In that world they just do the equivalent of dumping in a new libC and hoping for the best. NT's remote administration was a joke.
There's the consumer world, the techie world and the corporate world.

I won't argue over unix based systems but back in the 80's that was not consumer oriented.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times

Did the government build this?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:14 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Please don't mention Gates with Ford. Gate's innovation was taking public domain software and adding fixes to it like everyone else. The only difference was he put a patent on his changes. He came form a law family and just knew how to slap ownership claims on everything. The fist decent software his company produced was Windows 2000. He beat Apple because his Apple rip offs went on cheap commodity hardware based upon the open specification. That is why Compaq created a legal clone of the IBM machine.

Gates is an example of everything that can go wrong with this system.
So you are claiming that Gates was a member of the government and sponsored by them?

That was the point of the message, not your sideways dissemination to a different topic.

Try sticking to the topic. Perhaps if you truly want to change the discussion, you should start a new thread.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
If democrats truly believe that business owners didn't built that then do you realize that you've been screwed because the government didn't help you build it too.

Shouldn't you be going after the government instead?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If democrats truly believe that business owners didn't built that then do you realize that you've been screwed because the government didn't help you build it too.

Shouldn't you be going after the government instead?
Just the opposite. I think the push is for government to all but own the means of production.
The masses want government to regulate salaries, benefits, working conditions and create job openings for them..everything except outright ownership because that would be communism wouldn't it and we don't want to turn communistic.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
did he actually create it all himself?

No, of course not!
How do you know he/she didn't?

Answer: You don't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies