Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Tell that to the 2.5 billion people living in China and India that want the same standard of living we have.

FYI as far as glaciers go some of them are growing, one theory is that the pollution is the source for the melt or having an effect. the theory is that particle matter(soot) being deposited on them is causing them to melt. Spreading soot in Antarctica was actually one proposal to stop global cooling in the 70's.

Sorry, as individuals we can only speak for ourselves. And as individuals we should do our part without regards to anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

Using scientific research and photographs from then and now, you can see how much of the glaciers are melting and disappearing. Global warming? Maybe. Natural cycle of earth warming? Maybe. I don't have the answer.

All I can say is, at least for now, its a damn shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The same thing is happening to the Swiss Alps. It is projected that they will be gone in about 50 years.
I understand that when Glacier National Park was established in 1910, there was close to 150 Glaciers in them. Now there are less than 25. I've heard a projection these last ones will be gone in 20 years.

Think about it.

No glaciers in Glacier National Park.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
As far as America doing their part, I'd love to see some studies concerning how our environment here is compared to 10, 20 30, 40 years ago. I daresay we our actually better now than we were then, simply because of the environmental movement. Go back to Pittsburgh, PA in the 50's and 60's, then compare it to today.

We still have pollution all over. We always will, as we are organisms that produce wastes - just like every other species on the planet. Of course we could do a better job of policing ourselves when it comes to personal wastes, and as communities, when it comes to recycling, waste-water treatment, etc.

I, personally, believe we are cleaner now than we were in the past, but there is only so much we can do before our efforts at "going green" hit the point of diminishing returns.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Glacierworks

Using scientific research and photographs from then and now, you can see how much of the glaciers are melting and disappearing. Global warming? Maybe. Natural cycle of earth warming? Maybe. I don't have the answer.

All I can say is, at least for now, its a damn shame.
We don't care. We're conservatives. We want to pollute the air, throw women and children out into the streets and throw granny over the cliff. We want to watch little kids being killed in their classrooms and want to build Romney another elevator for his cars. We hate all blacks, gays, women and those damn illegals. And we hate 'em all while hugging our guns in bed at night. We hate everybody and everything. Why the hell should we care if glaciers are melting off a freakin mountain?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Eh get back to me on the conservation thing when the pentagon is no longer the largest single consumer of oil on the planet and our elitist leaders stop burning hundreds of thousands of gallons of jet fuel globe trotting...

Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,153 times
The Great Green Con no. 1: The hard proof that finally shows global warming forecasts that are costing you billions were WRONG all along

By David Rose
[LEFT]
Read more: The great green con no. 1: The hard proof that finally shows global warming forecasts that are costing you billions were WRONG all along | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
[/LEFT]

Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So I guess you take the lackadaisical approach about pollution. Hey if this guys not doing it then why should I. Is that what you're saying
Keep throwing money at the problem and maybe it will go away. Sounds like a plan.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Keep throwing money at the problem and maybe it will go away. Sounds like a plan.

What money? I can only do my part and suggest you do the same.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And as individuals we should do our part without regards to anyone else.
Absolutely correct. I want my nieces and nephews and their children to live a life of prosperity. I don't want them to live a life of poverty because their way of life was destroyed in the US over misguided environmental laws that had absolutely no effect.

The more pressure you put on US companies the more manufacturing that goes overseas. These policies could actually have the opposite effect and drive emissions up.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-16-2013 at 09:55 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
As far as America doing their part, I'd love to see some studies concerning how our environment here is compared to 10, 20 30, 40 years ago. I daresay we our actually better now than we were then, simply because of the environmental movement.
Absolutely but there is a limit to what is practical.

Air Quality Trends | AirTrends | Air & Radiation | EPA

Quote:
Go back to Pittsburgh, PA in the 50's and 60's, then compare it to today.
There is two comparisons we can make. We can compare the cleaner air but we can also compare the decimated steel industry.

Quote:
but there is only so much we can do before our efforts at "going green" hit the point of diminishing returns.
Exactly.... the analogy I like to make is we can make a car that is 100% survivable in a crash however that is pointless if no one can afford the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies