Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
Wasn't she passed out? How do we even know that they raped her? I haven't followed the case, but it's odd to convict unless DNA evidence was found.

I really hope that she stops drinking.
Apparently she was so plastered she didn't know what was happening or happened until some video of it all was being circulated. The boys were apparently also very plastered but not so much that they didn't remember but some kids videotaped it but didn't bother to call the police -- other kids also witnessed the rape but didn't call the police. Apparently this was just a drunken party where adults supplied minor age kids with alcohol but didn't supervise them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM

353 posts, read 395,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Apparently she was so plastered she didn't know what was happening or happened until some video of it all was being circulated. The boys were apparently also very plastered but not so much that they didn't remember but some kids videotaped it but didn't bother to call the police -- other kids also witnessed the rape but didn't call the police. Apparently this was just a drunken party where adults supplied minor age kids with alcohol but didn't supervise them.
The behavior of these teens is really a reflection of their poor upbringing. Parents need to do a better job of teaching their children right from wrong. If I had a child, I would teach him/her that abusing a human being and/or animal is despicable. I'd want them to take the lead in reporting wrong doing, even if it involved their friends and/or family.

Also, whatever happened to chivalry? It's sad that out of the entire bunch, not one guy intervened to protect the girl.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
There was nothing irrational in either post.

Why not state that people (not just young girls) should not get so drunk in public, which can increase the possibility of being assaulted in public?

You can not prove that being drunk or not being drunk ensured it would (or would not) happen.

The next girl, can be so drunk and pass out and not be in the company of animals, and not get raped.
That's just it--you can reduce your risk of being the victim of violent crime by being aware of your surroundings, etc. etc. but it doesn't guarantee that you won't be. If she would have stayed sober at the party she could have been grabbed by someone and taken to a back room, or grabbed on the way to her car. I had a good friend in college who was raped when she was out for a run in a busy park in the middle of the morning with people around--she was just in the wrong place at exactly the wrong time and someone grabbed her off the trail. It's not fair to say that it happened because she was drunk.

The other thing is that MALES aren't predators--RAPISTS are. There's a difference. Rapists do go looking for people they can victimize, but that can simply mean being alone and isolated from a group or outside of hearing range. I don't think it blames victims to acknowledge that, as long as you don't blame the victim if something bad happens to her.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post
Kids in sports are an extension of their fathers penis. That is the way it is, they want them to make up for their short falls in life.
Sorry, but what an incredibly dumb thing to say. My kids are all involved in athletics--they love sports--and it builds confidence, self discipline, team work, etc. as well as keeping them very fit and healthy. The problem comes in when sports stop being a game, and when people hold student athletes up to be local community gods who aren't accountable for their behavior. When having a winning team becomes more important than doing the right thing, you know you have a big problem.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Alcohol was most definitely supplied to the kids -- both the rapists and the drunken 16 year old girl. Why isn't that person being sent to prison?
Supposedly additional charges might be filed:

"In an interview, Mr. DeWine said that while it was not clear that more people would face charges, prosecutors might consider offenses that include obstruction of justice, failure to report a felony and failure to report child abuse. State officials have interviewed almost 60 people — students, coaches, school officials and parents — but 16, most of them juveniles, have refused to speak to investigators."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/us...o.html?hp&_r=0

How wonderful that some of the juveniles are refusing to cooperate with investigators. Undoubtedly they have lovely enablers for parents.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Sorry, but what an incredibly dumb thing to say. My kids are all involved in athletics--they love sports--and it builds confidence, self discipline, team work, etc. as well as keeping them very fit and healthy. The problem comes in when sports stop being a game, and when people hold student athletes up to be local community gods who aren't accountable for their behavior. When having a winning team becomes more important than doing the right thing, you know you have a big problem.
Yep. And I'm a huge football fan! Hence my poster name. But, it's a game for cryin' out loud! When it takes precedence over that of overlooking criminal act such as this because winning a game is more important....well then WTF does that say about our priorities?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You too have no ability to speak with ration, and instead are acting based purely on emotions. I never said that being drunk gives permission to be taken advantage of. Actually, I said that if she weren't so drunk, it wouldn't have happened.

Let's say you and I both have $1000 in cash and have to walk through the bad part of town. I put my money in my pocket, walk through the area, and all is well. You on the other hand choose to fan out the cash in both hands and wave the money in people's faces. Someone mugs you.

Is it your fault you were mugged? No. Would you have likely spared youself being mugged had you kept your money in your pocket? Yes. I am saying that going to a jock party and getting blackout drunk is like flashing around your money. Don't do it.
ration?

Definition of RATION

a : a food allowance for one day
b plural : food, provisions

: a share especially as determined by supply

Ration - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
She says that she doesn't remember anything after getting into the car to go to the party, which would indicate that she was possibly drugged. I've had friends who had alcoholic blackouts, and they remember more than just the first drink. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to get tested in time to definitively prove that she was drugged, from what I've read. If they'd been able to prove that, then perhaps she'd be viewed differently by the victim blamers.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I watched/read all of the info that anonymous put on the internet and was so angry that this town would cover up all of this. As more information has come out, it turns out some of the stuff anonymous posted was wrong. For instance, they named a local business man and completely trashed his reputation, and it turned out they had the wrong man.
The defense tried to subpoena some of the girl's friends who claimed she had made rape allegations before, but the judge wouldn't enforce the subpoena because the girls were minors and lived across state lines. The crime took place on the OH/WV line, on the OH side. The victim lived in WV. GMA talks about it in this video, starting aroud 3:15.
Steubenville Rape Case: What You Haven't Heard - Yahoo!

I'm glad the idiot who had the film laughing about a "dead girl" getting raped had to leave OSU. His behavior deserved some penalties, even if socially enforced. And I think a guilty verdict for these defendants was warranted, but this whole case turned out to be more nuinanced that I expected after watching the anonymous videos.
Its been announced that a grand jury investigation is to follow, looking to deal with parents, coaches, party hosts, and so forth who knew and did not report the crime as culpable as well. The judge wishes to send the message that two teens alone cannot do this. It takes a culture which tolerates teen binge drinking and excess to have this happen and it be made a social event.

I say good for him. He's calling out all those who could have and should have at least reported it to have done so, and not on facebook, tweets or texting.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM

340 posts, read 495,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Ahhh you missed my point which was the same exact same point you just made. So if its a stupid point you made the same stupid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies