Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,587,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
So making up stuff drawn from uneducated opinion and acting like it is true just because is fun to you?

Oh, the hypocrisy. I'm not the one that was throwing out personal attacks and continuing to do so even after the moderator edited your previous post for a personal attack on another poster.
No idea what you are talking about, but I don't care enough to scroll back through this thread. My posts being deleted is like a tree falling in the woods. I post then I move on, I don't go back several pages to re-read my posts.

Sorry online discussion forums get you so worked up and upset.
You might find help concerning your need to project your emotions onto others in a decontextualized internet forum here: //www.city-data.com/forum/mental-health/

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,068,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Is there a point to argue about Chimps?

Everyone with common sense knows that rape is common enough that women need to take precautions against it.

The bare minimum would be for her to go with friends.
That's the problem

Any other crime, and society would demand change and hefty penalty

The rape and assault of women?
Blame the victim
Tell women to excercise caution
Don't drink
Don't have fun
Don't wear that
Don't go there
Don't talk to that person
Get a gun

How about one loud message.
Don't rape.

These boys got off lightly. 15 years would be a nice message, you rape with evidence beyond doubt - you get a life altering penalty - just as their actions have altered that girls.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,057,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
That's the problem
To me the problem boils down to western women often wanting to ignore natural realities. Women are not men. Nature didn't make you men. Nature made you vulnerable to men. For women to insist on behaving just like the guys ignores the stark reality is that you're not just one of the guys. It's like the guy who wanted to live with the bears but was eaten.

And I disagree, if a kid was hanging around in a bad neighborhood buying drugs, I would say something similar. Sucks what happened but he's partly responsible for his irresponsibility.

Quote:
These boys got off lightly. 15 years would be a nice message, you rape with evidence beyond doubt - you get a life altering penalty - just as their actions have altered that girls.
I believe they got a fair sentence. To me, it's only rape if it's penis in vagina, what they did was a crime but something on a far weaker level. I don't believe a couple of teenage boys should be put in prison for 15 years for touching a passed out girl inappropriately. Now if it's proven they drugged her and lured her to that party, then I would favor a stricter sentence.

Still, the girl should have at least gone with some female friends. Bare minimum.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,623,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Of course the rapist is responsible - but that is not the point.

If she had been conscious - it is highly unlikely that this would have occurred.

This was not an anger driven rape(yes, there are many different motivations for rape - and I can refer you to some good books if you are interested) - this was some kids who got drunk and made a bad judgment and decided to put their hands where they didn't belong.

You see to be condoning underage drinking.

Why is that?
Most rape victims are conscious. They were still raped.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,648,555 times
Quote:
To me the problem boils down to western women often wanting to ignore natural realities. Women are not men. Nature didn't make you men. Nature made you vulnerable to men. For women to insist on behaving just like the guys ignores the stark reality is that you're not just one of the guys. It's like the guy who wanted to live with the bears but was eaten.

And I disagree, if a kid was hanging around in a bad neighborhood buying drugs, I would say something similar. Sucks what happened but he's partly responsible for his irresponsibility.

I believe they got a fair sentence. To me, it's only rape if it's penis in vagina, what they did was a crime but something on a far weaker level. I don't believe a couple of teenage boys should be put in prison for 15 years for touching a passed out girl inappropriately. Now if it's proven they drugged her and lured her to that party, then I would favor a stricter sentence.

Still, the girl should have at least gone with some female friends. Bare minimum.
She did go with female friends. The victim left her friends to hang out elsewhere with the football players, despite their protestations.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,057,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
The victim left her friends to hang out elsewhere with the football players, despite their protestations.
Well, then she wasn't with her friends when it counted.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,419,263 times
Quote:
Is there a point to argue about Chimps?.
Only to point out that it's irrelevant that we have about 98% of our DNA in common.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,072,766 times
Seems to be lots of female posters on this thread who feel that the girl did no wrong in this situation other than getting drunk. I wholeheartedly disagree. While every person should be confident that they won't be accosted by another person, no matter the situation, this does not absolve the person from acting responsibly, especially in situations where alcohol and teenage hi-jinks are bound to occur. Should the guys acted as they did? Of course not. But I think it's complete disingenuousness to paint this girl as a wholly innocent party-goer who had no hand in what occurred. 100% balderdash.

Anyone who has ever attended a party where underage drinking is involved knows that this kind of crap happens all the time. The difference here is that it was broadcast on social media and the girl all of a sudden had more of a substantial interest in salvaging what's left of her (bad) reputation. For better or worse, and before social media came into our lives, this sort of thing was the subject of hallway gossip and not much more. People learned from the mistakes (sometimes) and moved on without the weight of the world watching via CNN. This girl has some culpability. The uproar from this girl and her mother are more about saving face than justice. I'll maintain that till the end.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,419,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This girl has some culpability. I'll maintain that till the end.
You can maintain it till hell freezes a six foot crust! The judge disagreed.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,072,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can maintain it till hell freezes a six foot crust! The judge disagreed.
The judge went by the law. The law does not provide for culpability of someone not old enough to legally consent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies