Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Apparently so. And I'm not sure what "There are also other limited circumstances in which the child must stand trial as an adult" means exactly? I would have thought dragging around a drugged girl and sexually abusing her would qualify, but, oh well!
ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Free from guilt.

Not guilty...

Not sure what part of English you don't understand.

You are presumed innocent until found guilty. If you are found not guilty the presumption of innocence stands.

And the government then treats you as if you were innocent.

If A=B and B=C then A=C

If not guilty you are considered free from guilt. If you are free from guilt you are innocent. If you are not guilty you are innocent.

Right there IN the definitions. You are just arguing semantics. If they are the same in practice then they are the same.

End of story...
The law is nothing but semantics. There's plenty of law journal articles on the difference between "innocence" and "not guilty." I suggest you check them out.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The law is nothing but semantics. There's plenty of law journal articles on the difference between "innocence" and "not guilty." I suggest you check them out.
Really doesn't matter in the end. Whether Casey Anthony was innocent of her kids murder or merely not guilty she was still seen and treated the same by the government.

You can call it a Longhorn, Angus or a Hereford but it's still just a cow...

Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
There's yet another sexual assault case in which two Connecticut high school football players are charged with sexually assaulting different 13-year-old girls.

"At least one of the alleged victims in Torrington, nearly 30 miles west of the capital, Hartford, has been taunted on social media by dozens of upset classmates, the newspaper reported. Students have called a girl a "*****" and bashed her for "snitching" and "ruining" the players' lives."

Edgar Gonzalez And Joan Toribio, Connecticut High School Football Players, Accused Of Sexual Assault.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Sounds like most of these kids are raising themselves. Mine knew early on that they would be trusted until they demonstrated they were not trustworthy. Two never gave a minutes distress. One always pushed the limit. She knew we were always 3 steps behind her. Even the 2 who were so focus on there study areas they were never interested in peers and parties knew I call teachers and parents to verify what they were doing.

My daughter always checks with the other moms when the kids make a plan. The kids know the moms are always checking the plans. No troubles.

I don't understand kids getting together to binge drink. Is this some kind of rite of passage? I know lots parents of teenagers in my school district take their kids on spring break cruises and let them get chit faced just to see what it's like.
I was raised by a bunch of drunks and so was DH, so my kids just never saw any magic in drinking. Living with a mean drunk will cause one to join up with Carrie nation.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There's yet another sexual assault case in which two Connecticut high school football players are charged with sexually assaulting different 13-year-old girls.

"At least one of the alleged victims in Torrington, nearly 30 miles west of the capital, Hartford, has been taunted on social media by dozens of upset classmates, the newspaper reported. Students have called a girl a "*****" and bashed her for "snitching" and "ruining" the players' lives."

Edgar Gonzalez And Joan Toribio, Connecticut High School Football Players, Accused Of Sexual Assault.
According to the article, these are statutory rape cases--the girls are 13 (under the age of consent) and the boys are 18. The girls were willing, but an 18 year old should have the sense to know that a 13 year old is a child who CANT consent--they'd be 7th graders. I'm beginning to wish that twitter and texting would be banned after the way all of these kids are acting...

On a side note, my husband was looking over my shoulder at the link, saw the slide show on the Steubenville trial, and commented on how the Mays boy was dressed each day. His defense team has him in a variation of a blue and soft yellow. According to my husband, that's the color combination that scientists have found make individuals look trustworthy, innocent and honest. It's the kind of detail that only a very good, experienced defense attorney(or a prosecutor who knows the game) would understand. The kid had a very good lawyer.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
According to the article, these are statutory rape cases--the girls are 13 (under the age of consent) and the boys are 18. The girls were willing, but an 18 year old should have the sense to know that a 13 year old is a child who CANT consent--they'd be 7th graders. I'm beginning to wish that twitter and texting would be banned after the way all of these kids are acting...

On a side note, my husband was looking over my shoulder at the link, saw the slide show on the Steubenville trial, and commented on how the Mays boy was dressed each day. His defense team has him in a variation of a blue and soft yellow. According to my husband, that's the color combination that scientists have found make individuals look trustworthy, innocent and honest. It's the kind of detail that only a very good, experienced defense attorney(or a prosecutor who knows the game) would understand. The kid had a very good lawyer.
It's not clear to me that it's statutory rape. It says sexual assault, and the details have not been released, in a number of articles I viewed.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
It's not clear to me that it's statutory rape. It says sexual assault, and the details have not been released, in a number of articles I viewed.
Here's a quote from the link.

"The accusers and suspects knew one another, according to Emanuel, who described what happened as "voluntary encounters" at private residences. But he said sexual encounters between a 13-year-old and anyone more than three years older are illegal under state law."

The Emanuel they're quoting is Lt. Michael Emanuel of the Torrington police department--the town where the rapes occurred.

Edgar Gonzalez And Joan Toribio, Connecticut High School Football Players, Accused Of Sexual Assault

Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
How do you guys feel about the verdict?
Elated if they carry out the sentence with forceful justice. These scum should pay dearly.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
'Statutory rape' is the common term for what is alleged. 'Sexual assault' is the criminal charge. I think the term 'statutory rape' is merely a way to indicate no force was used. These laws presume that until a person reaches a certain age, they are legally incapable of consenting to sexual intercourse, taking 'force' out of the elements the state must prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies