Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, it is not a regular tax. It's a partial one-time dispossession.
Dispossession, expropriation, theft or tax either way Cyprus is screwed as is much of the euro zone. If I was a depositor in any of the PIGS I'd be at the bank first thing in the morning and either convert a significant portion of my savings into gold or moving it to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Apparently the froze the percentage they were stealing before folks could go get it withdrawn. Germany is pissing a lot of folks off over there with this stuff.
Enron did the same thing to it's shareholders with the help of American bankers.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Dispossession, expropriation, theft or tax either way Cyprus is screwed as is much of the euro zone. If I was a depositor in any of the PIGS I'd be at the bank first thing in the morning and either convert a significant portion of my savings into gold or moving it to Switzerland.
I'm sure they have made just that virtually impossible. Seems I read a story recently that it's illegal in Greece to own so much Gold or valuable gems.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Don't shrug this off because it doesn't effect you personally.
Cyprus is the first EU country to do this since the crash and the international bankers are all on board.
I think the other EU countries will watch and see what happens and if the citizens don't balk too much then you just might see this "new revenue stream" implemented in other EU countries as conditions of them receiving bailout money.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
In Germany a brand new party has just been founded. Its main objective is doing away with the Euro. And it is not some radicals nobody takes seriously, it is the brainchild of lots of professors and other known intellectuals. Merkel's party is already worried as that new party might become one of the strongest parties in this year's elections.
Although that party is egoistic, i.e. concentrated on the German perspective, its goal would also help Southern Europe as the strength of the Euro has been one of our major problems for years. Thus I wish them good luck in toppling Merkel

Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Default/bankruptcy.......Krugman was wrong. Latvia is growing.
1) To repeat, Dr. Krugman was not advocating either and your own link confirms that.

2) Latvia is growing huh? True, it is growing from where it fell off the cliff...

And let's see why...

Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm sure they have made just that virtually impossible. Seems I read a story recently that it's illegal in Greece to own so much Gold or valuable gems.
Knowing Portuguese politicians are corrupt, incompetent criminals, I transferred about 90% of my deposits to a foreign bank via online banking at the weekend. It worked

Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Knowing Portuguese politicians are corrupt, incompetent criminals, I transferred about 90% of my deposits to a foreign bank via online banking at the weekend. It worked
Wise move gotta stay one step ahead of the international cabal.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wise move gotta stay one step ahead of the international cabal.
I did feel a bit bad and egoistic, but then again, I like helping people, not greedy banks and politicians. I will simply donate even more directly to NGOs should they try the Cyprus scheme here as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
No, it is not a regular tax. It's a partial one-time dispossession.
What's the difference except "partial one time dispossession" sounds nicer? It's a one time "donation" at the end of a gun. If they're willing to go that far what would make one think they wouldn't go farther later on? More to the point, if it doesn't ignite a violent response from the public wouldn't that give others the idea that they could get away with it?

This could very well light a fire of bank runs in other troubled countries with ripples all the way to our economy. Anyone with half a brain in these countries has got to be thinking "hmmm, I'll bet our leaders have thought about the same solution, they're not going to take mine".
Once one country breaks this cardinal rule and gets away with it you can bet others will look seriously at doing the same thing kind of like a rolling blackout.

This is going to fuel the fears of the already afraid, validate those that think we're already doomed and further enrich the gun/ammo/emergency food industry causing many of the people who were once on the fence to tip over and join the fray.
While the odds of confiscation of U.S. accounts are slim to none the psychological effects of what's going on in Cyprus (especially if it spreads to other countries) on the population here could be very bad.
Gonna be a bumpy ride for a few days/weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies