Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Atheists are always protesting Christmas but not St. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, All Saint's Day (a.k.a. Halloween) or Easter. And they never protest any of the Jewish or Muslim holidays. Why is that?

This is how I look at it. I am not an atheist, but I am not of any specific faith either. My best friend and her husband are atheists. They celebrate all the holidays just like most people do, But they do it because of the tradition behind it, not because of faith.

Im from Sweden, on All Saints Day we usually light a candle on the graves on past family members. Most of the Swedish people are not religious. But we still do it because of tradition.

I think that the reason you hear atheist's criticize Christianity more than any other religion is because those are the people around you. There are atheist all over the world, you just don't hear about that as much as the once close to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

1,127 posts, read 904,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not talking about on Christmas day. I meant "on the topic of Christmas"...referring to the OP.

Besides, Christmas isn't a one day holiday. It's basically a month long.
I see Christmas decorations day after Halloween, it's more like 2 months long.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Atheists are always protesting Christmas but not St. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, All Saint's Day (a.k.a. Halloween) or Easter. And they never protest any of the Jewish or Muslim holidays. Why is that?
I'm sorry, I must have missed the Macy's Ramadan Parade. What channel was that on?

I forgot, who sponsors the Yom Kippur Parade? Mercedes or Astra-Zeneca?

Protesting...

Mircea

Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
because we're too busy drinking and plotting ways to take away your guns, and how to force the gay agenda further down your throat...THATS WHY!!!

*blush*

Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;28709776]Unfortunately you're wrong...liberals don't hate Christianity although a case can be made that they should.

That aside, liberals don't hate St. Patricks day because like conservatives, they're either getting too drunk to care about it or they don't know the meaning of the day. And even if they did know the meaning, why would they care regardless? No one is pushing St Pats on anyone.

As for the OP's nonsensical statement about liberals hating Christmas, that claim is just as silly.

On Christmas, Liberals are doing the same thing that conservatives are doing: shopping their asses off and going too far into debt to really care about the so called meaning of the day (not that it has any real meaning anyway). It's a commercial holiday. Deal with it.

Christmas hasn't been a religious holiday in decades.[/quote]

Then why does Christmas seem to upset some atheists so much---not all---just the radical ones. If a manger scene is put up they want to put up a sign next to it saying Christians are stupid and backward to believe in a God. Even on C-D in the Christian section the radical ones come into a discussion to say it's all baloney to believe in a non-existent illusion.

BUT I think the courts might put a stop to all this nonsense since I read one judge said if atheists want equality in the public places then if the government puts out a stamp of a famous black person they will need to put out a stamp of the KKK. Equal is equal, even if it gets to be absurd. See how it will work if taken to it's conclusion? I think the judge has a point.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I am an atheist and I treat so-called "Christian" holidays in much the same way Christians treat the bible......I cherry pick which aspects of them I choose to follow/participate in.

Nowadays, that mostly consists of displaying the appropriate decorations. Did a lot more than that when I was younger.

Right now I have a sparkly, big green shamrock hanging on my front door, Valentine's Day there was a sparkly red heart hanging there, Christmas....a wreath, Halloween.....a goblin, in a couple of days, a big, smiling bunny face will take the place of the shamrock. Why? Because it's fun and I enjoy doing it.

I don't give a thought to any of the religious dogma attached to any of them.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well you must be living in a different world than many of us, if you don't think Atheist do not object to Christmas and the celebrations that go with the holiday. It depends of course, we have a granddaughter who is an agnostic. She loves Christmas but doesn't care for all the religion surrounding it.
Many of us object to religious displays on public lands paid for by public funds.
Something about that separation of church and state thing.
Do you go all out for Ramadan?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Most athiests/nonbelievers don't have a problem with anyone celebrating their religious beliefs as long as they don't force them upon us. And that's usually the sticking point....the religious continue to sell, sell, sell us their beliefs to protect us from hell, hell, hell. For our own good, of course.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am an atheist and I treat so-called "Christian" holidays in much the same way Christians treat the bible......I cherry pick which aspects of them I choose to follow/participate in.
Yep, I'll take Santa Claus coming down the chimney any day, over John the Apostle, bubbling away in a cauldron.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 AM

340 posts, read 496,044 times
Because like Christmas it is so far removed form its religious origins that its just a fun thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies