Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, but we're discussing regulations on smoking... and regardless of how irritating or disgusting it is, you really can't control what people do 100 miles from land. Is that even considered part of the US? I honestly don't know the laws there.

Point being, if you cannot handle people smoking that far from land, I don't see how our regulations could ever be sufficient for you. Thus, total ban is the only "compromise" I can see you accepting.

Hey, you're the one who said "we've made your life miserable!" Be more specific, LOL.

I was really just kidding with that comment, although you have been extremely condescending throughout this entire thread. You questioned my intelligence and education, called me/us cruel names, etc. Show a little respect if you want some in return, even if you think our specific habit is worse than any other in existence. We all dislike certain habits, smells, etc, but that doesn't give us the right to be mean to people who aren't being mean to us (especially when we're following every rule set forth).

Thanks, and I'm glad you acknowledge how difficult it is... experts say it's harder to quit smoking than heroin, yet those same experts also/only label drug addiction as a disease. Double standard much? I might become "intense" once I quit, but will make an effort not to openly project that onto others.

Of course not. I always make an effort to be considerate, accommodating, and empathetic towards others - almost to a fault, according to most who know me personally. At the same time, however, I will not make major life changes simply to make strangers happy. I can only do so much for others, or I'd be in a constant state of anxiety and change. For example, I'm sure some people hated looking at me when I was fat, but only my personal desire to change finally made it happen.

But even with me possibly being the most considerate smoker in the world, that still isn't enough for some people! The only thing that will make them/you happy is if I quit, and while I am trying, I'm doing that for me alone - not because it annoys other people. If I worried about everything I did that was annoying, I'd be in a constant state of anxiety.

Actually, the vessel is considered US territory wherever it is, and Coast Guard Regs prohibit smoking inside, and that is usually enforced. It isn't the distance from land, it is the distance from non-smokers that is important. You simply must understand that, for that is what is important. If someone slapped your face on the same boat 100 miles from land, would it suddently be okay?? Of course not.

When you quit, and, again, best wishes on that, your perspective will suddenly and massivly change. Suddenly, you will realize how offensive it is, how nauseating it is, you will feel the headach and the chestach. Suddenly you will "get it". Smoking around non-smokers is very much being mean to them for the pain and misery it causes. You will soon discover this when you become a non-smokers.

My boss recently quit. He started apologizing for the misery he inflicted on others. He had to quit, to be on the "other side" of the stench before he "got it" and when he did, he apologized to me, and told me about how he apolgized to his wife (relatively new marriage after a divorce some years back). I was amazed, but I've seen it before.

That is why they are so whiny, because they get it, and get it in spades, as you will.

While you seem to be an exception, I have found that all the respect, the courtesy etc., in the world is good for about 5 mins of respect back, and then it is back to the old way. Smokers think their filth is good, when it is sewerage.

Anyway, gotta go. I apolgize if I lumped you in with the rest of them. YOu seem like a decent Joe, and when you finally are at the cusp of quitting, as per my boss, get some support, for doing it alone is all-but-impossible

Tight lines and Following Seas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Actually, the vessel is considered US territory wherever it is, and Coast Guard Regs prohibit smoking inside, and that is usually enforced. It isn't the distance from land, it is the distance from non-smokers that is important. You simply must understand that, for that is what is important. If someone slapped your face on the same boat 100 miles from land, would it suddently be okay?? Of course not.
Sorry, I misunderstood... thought you were talking about being on a small boat, and people in other boats smoking nearby.

Quote:
When you quit, and, again, best wishes on that, your perspective will suddenly and massivly change. Suddenly, you will realize how offensive it is, how nauseating it is, you will feel the headach and the chestach. Suddenly you will "get it". Smoking around non-smokers is very much being mean to them for the pain and misery it causes. You will soon discover this when you become a non-smokers.

My boss recently quit. He started apologizing for the misery he inflicted on others. He had to quit, to be on the "other side" of the stench before he "got it" and when he did, he apologized to me, and told me about how he apolgized to his wife (relatively new marriage after a divorce some years back). I was amazed, but I've seen it before.

That is why they are so whiny, because they get it, and get it in spades, as you will.
I quit for a short period of time, back when I was dating a non-smoker... and I did see how irritating it was, but still didn't expect anyone to quit (or live in a bubble) for my sake. Hate to bring in the perfume analogy again, but if you woke up tomorrow with a fragrance sensitivity, would you expect everyone to stop wearing perfume nationwide?

Quote:
While you seem to be an exception, I have found that all the respect, the courtesy etc., in the world is good for about 5 mins of respect back, and then it is back to the old way. Smokers think their filth is good, when it is sewerage.
I don't think ANY smokers believe the smell is good. Okay, maybe a few, but they would definitely be in the minority!

Quote:
Anyway, gotta go. I apolgize if I lumped you in with the rest of them. YOu seem like a decent Joe, and when you finally are at the cusp of quitting, as per my boss, get some support, for doing it alone is all-but-impossible

Tight lines and Following Seas
Thanks again, and I was thinking of joining a smoking cessation program... I'm a county employee, so they will even pay for me to attend approved sessions.

Btw, I'm a woman - so that's "decent Josephine" to you, LOL.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Once again you demonstrate an abject lack of understanding of the English Language. I'll provide the post that this snippert relates to. See if you can spot how you make a fool out of yourself.

Here ya go.

I don't know, but IMHO, discharging tobacco effluent in public areas where otherr people are or are likely to be should be illegal

Now study it hard and see if you can find a difference between that, and your Strawman, aka LIE "You think you can ban smoking"

Your own lack of intellectual honesty does you a grave dis-service.

P.S. I am a man, not a women. Can you get even a single thing right???
That's it troll..

You try to call me out on language yet can't use the proper words.

GTFO woman...

You have no argument. You are jut a grumpy, old woman with no life. So you nag us on CD...

Go do something already. I think I hear your CNA. Time for your shower granny...

Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
We're talking about what makes a person normal vs abnormal, and my point is that I'm not suddenly an abnormal person simply because attitudes towards smoking have changed. I am now in the minority (at least in the US), but that alone doesn't mean I am less "normal" than you. Usually I revel in being unique, but in this case I find your words very offensive... and by your logic, since I find it offensive, you should probably not subject me to such things.

I second that! I may be unique, but I'm certainly not abnormal, and NOT anti-social, because I'm a smoker. In fact, given the restrictions on where one can smoke, as I said earlier on the thread, it's a great conversation starter when you and another smoker who is a complete stranger, are in a designated area. Not to mention when it's really cold here in the winter, I'll wear a big Cleveland Browns jacket, and that around here tends to be a conversation starter as well, given that we're big on our football team here.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Since we're now offending complete strangers intentionally, just to get some kind of arbitrary "payback," I think I'll be less considerate about my smoking in your honor. Fair play, or something like that!

(in reality I would never do such a thing, since I respect everyone until they personally give me a reason to do otherwise)

Yes!!!! One of my mottos has always been "don't start no s*** won't be no s***!"

Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
More intellectual dishonesty, dare I say LIE.

Now, if I took a swig, swirled it around in my mouth and then spat it in your face, you would have a case, but I doubt if that happens to you more than once or twice a year, if I am not mistaken.

Cologne is not offensive, it is specially designed NOT to be. Perhaps the tobacco has effected your sense of smell so much you can't smell correctly.

BTW, I am attacking the ilk, not you, per se.

I worked around drunks on the weekends for years! They get pretty full of p*** and vinegar, and of course then there is some who get their so-called "beer muscles." I'd rather deal with smokers to be honest.

As for cologne or perfume, while it may be designed to smell pretty, it does bother some people. It doesn't bother me per se, but as I said, people like my mother-in-law, and sister-in-law sometimes get bothered by even small amounts.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you are "confused".

I was on the boat, not on the LAND!!! Why are you being so disingenuous?

I speak to other non-addicts, and virtually without exception, they all feel the same way. A few addicts make life miserable for everyone.

As I said, I am done with it and will fish the East Cape of Baja and Kona from now on, and specify non-smoking onboard when I charter.

Well see, there you go!!! You're making the choice to be on a boat that doesn't allow smoking! Good for you! See, you don't have to go on a charter boat that does allow it, and therefore won't be exposed to it. See how easy that is!

As for non-smokers feeling the way you do. Perhaps some do. Most don't care either way. In fact a lot of non-smokers here actually opposed the bans, because they even felt it was a bit overboard. Especially in bars, as smoking is part of the "bar culture." I think there was a stat that 75% of the population doesn't smoke, but 75% of people that go to bars do smoke. At any rate, given that there is no smoking in private establishments here in Ohio, nobody is going to say anything about me smoking if I'm outside. Unless of course I try to light up at a bar or restaurant! Which, I won't.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I misunderstood... thought you were talking about being on a small boat, and people in other boats smoking nearby.

I quit for a short period of time, back when I was dating a non-smoker... and I did see how irritating it was, but still didn't expect anyone to quit (or live in a bubble) for my sake. Hate to bring in the perfume analogy again, but if you woke up tomorrow with a fragrance sensitivity, would you expect everyone to stop wearing perfume nationwide?

I don't think ANY smokers believe the smell is good. Okay, maybe a few, but they would definitely be in the minority!

Thanks again, and I was thinking of joining a smoking cessation program... I'm a county employee, so they will even pay for me to attend approved sessions.

Btw, I'm a woman - so that's "decent Josephine" to you, LOL.
I stand, humbly, corrected.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well see, there you go!!! You're making the choice to be on a boat that doesn't allow smoking! Good for you! See, you don't have to go on a charter boat that does allow it, and therefore won't be exposed to it. See how easy that is!

As for non-smokers feeling the way you do. Perhaps some do. Most don't care either way. In fact a lot of non-smokers here actually opposed the bans, because they even felt it was a bit overboard. Especially in bars, as smoking is part of the "bar culture." I think there was a stat that 75% of the population doesn't smoke, but 75% of people that go to bars do smoke. At any rate, given that there is no smoking in private establishments here in Ohio, nobody is going to say anything about me smoking if I'm outside. Unless of course I try to light up at a bar or restaurant! Which, I won't.
Yes, I had to downgrade from world-class San diego-based sportifshers to tiny little boats run by Mexicans. The thing is, drug addicts should not be able to forace such decisions. They are the minority, they should have to downgrade

That is not freedom.

The rest of your post is "out-of-your-bung delusion not worthy of a response.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Now you are being deliberatly obtuse. It makes no difference, if you are on land, tied to the pier, at the bait receiver, heading downhill, offshore or wherever, a few feet away from you is, is a few feet away from you.

My life is NOT miserable. Now you are being condescending, or, perhaps, patronizing. You're better than that (now I am being patronizing).

I seriously wish you the best of luck in breaking the addiction. I know it is very tough. Chances are, however, you will become more "intense" than I am.

I take it that you do NOT enjoy making others miserable. Fair enough?

Honestly Robin, it's a tough habit to break. I've tried (mostly to appease my wife) gum, lozenges, in an attempt to quit, but nothing has work. I even an e-cig, in which I think could work, but I think it's a matter of finding the right one. Secondly, I won't even try Chantix, as I've heard some pretty bad things about it, as far as side effects. Now, I finally stopped buying store bought cigarettes to save money. I bought a small rolling machine, and now buy a bag of tobacco, and tubes and roll my own. I'm getting the hang of it, but it is tedious. This could help me in cutting down, because of the aggravation of having to roll my own. But, the cost savings is going to be enormous! Cigarettes at the store are around $5 a pack, that adds up quickly if you buy them almost every day. A 1lb bag of tobacco costs $10.99, and a box of 200 tubes cost $2.50. Also the bagged tobacco has less additives than the store bought.

Having said that, even if I do quit some day, I'm with Gizmo on the fact that I'm not going to attack those who continue to smoke. People who want to or try to quit have to do it for themselves. Us smokers don't want to make people miserable. However; given the current restrictions on where we can and can't smoke nowadays, there is no need for further legislation. At some point, you can only push so far before people say to Hell with it, and push back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies