U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 PM

3,343 posts, read 5,732,943 times

Advertisements

Earlier I was discussing with my girl friend (whom is liberal) how far of a welfare state should the US become and while I don't like the idea of a welfare state, I like the idea of helping those who want to help themselves. Although America seems as if its in decline, especially for those of my generation (Y) we can still be what we want to be if we truly put our minds to it, our government just needs to show that its still possible. With gloomy news from both sides all the time and low-wages, people have become not necessarily lazy but less motivated to live out their full potential because it just seems like a waste. We need to make everyone stop thinking their victims of society, and although some may be we need to show them that they can still be more than a person living check to check. We need to bring back the American Dream because people of my generation don't even see that its exists, we need to spark for people to continue to create their Dreams meaning if someone wants to start a business that seems feasible they can do it, in high-schools across the US I think we should institute a class where everyone learns the business of investing, saving, patenting, and anything else pertaining to wealth creation.

So when a conservative says something like 'End All Welfare' I'm not necessarily agreeing with them, but I can understand their perspective on things considering in the USA you can literally be anything you want to be if you just put your mind to it. As I said above stop making everyone think they're a victim and institute a system that rewards you on your climb to the top. Some people of course will be a loss cause, but I'm guessing over half of those whom are unemployed, receiving welfare, etc. can create massive wealth in this country if they just are shown the ins and outs of saving and investing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 PM

3,811 posts, read 3,833,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Earlier I was discussing with my girl friend (whom is liberal) how far of a welfare state should the US become and while I don't like the idea of a welfare state, I like the idea of helping those who want to help themselves. Although America seems as if its in decline, especially for those of my generation (Y) we can still be what we want to be if we truly put our minds to it, our government just needs to show that its still possible. With gloomy news from both sides all the time and low-wages, people have become not necessarily lazy but less motivated to live out their full potential because it just seems like a waste. We need to make everyone stop thinking their victims of society, and although some may be we need to show them that they can still be more than a person living check to check. We need to bring back the American Dream because people of my generation don't even see that its exists, we need to spark for people to continue to create their Dreams meaning if someone wants to start a business that seems feasible they can do it, in high-schools across the US I think we should institute a class where everyone learns the business of investing, saving, patenting, and anything else pertaining to wealth creation.

So when a conservative says something like 'End All Welfare' I'm not necessarily agreeing with them, but I can understand their perspective on things considering in the USA you can literally be anything you want to be if you just put your mind to it. As I said above stop making everyone think they're a victim and institute a system that rewards you on your climb to the top. Some people of course will be a loss cause, but I'm guessing over half of those whom are unemployed, receiving welfare, etc. can create massive wealth in this country if they just are shown the ins and outs of saving and investing.
Standby to be lambasted by the sick, lame, and lazy who are entitled to everyone else's money. They don't care how and where the money comes from, as long as it comes and keeps coming to them. To a liberal, so long as they pay less or pay nothing at all every entitlement program is good. So long as someone else, other then them pay.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,181,852 times
Quote:
...while I don't like the idea of a welfare state, I like the idea of helping those who want to help themselves..
That's going to be the view of most people in the center whether they are right or left. With the resources this country has there is no reason we can't or should not provide a safety net to the less unfortunate however that safety net is slowing turning into a way to live for many people and that is not the purpose.

Quote:
our government just needs to show that its still possible.
No it doesn't, why would you wait for them? If you're going sit their with the impression you're never going to make it and I need the governments help you're never going to get anywhere.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM

79,571 posts, read 37,126,425 times
A "conservative" isn't stating "end all welfare". Some one on the internet trying to get a rise out of people is.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 PM

3,343 posts, read 5,732,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A "conservative" isn't stating "end all welfare". Some one on the internet trying to get a rise out of people is.
I've seen a few conservatives on this and real life calling for most of the welfare system to be dismantled. Aside from that, I can understand a conservative perspective on welfare to a degree, a safety net should be in place but it should never become so vast that people don't have to contribute to our economy. I'd want our state government's to institute programs/classes in high-school that enable saving. Honestly while I was in high-school I had no clue how easy it was to start a business, the only problem is keeping the business afloat. Investing is also easy as well, instead of promoting consumerism, promote saving and investing into various stocks. I'm literally the only person of my age that I know, that has a decent portfolio of stocks along with having a decent savings account in place. So while one is on welfare show them that they can become something greater by investing, you don't always have to work at McDonalds your entire life and expect minimum wage to be your living wage alongside your welfare checks. You can become a millionaire someday, even without a college degree by using your money wisely instead of consuming so much. I know plenty of people on welfare, rather its food stamps or section 8 housing, still have iPhones, decent vehicles, designer clothes, and etc. what I want is for them to stop worrying about designer items and invest and save. That's all.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,690,853 times
I agree we should end all "welfare" and "government handouts".

However we should start by purging Republicans/TeaPartiers first of all the welfare and government handouts, see how much they scream in reaction, and then move onto the Democrats...

Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,385,535 times
Intellectual Honesty is in short supply these days. Keep up the good work.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 4,909,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I agree we should end all "welfare" and "government handouts".

However we should start by purging Republicans/TeaPartiers first of all the welfare and government handouts, see how much they scream in reaction, and then move onto the Democrats...
Sure, I agree. And we can cut the taxes of all Republicans and raise the taxes of all Democrats. And when defense is cut, we eliminate the jobs and defense contracts of Democrats first. When health insurance premiums go up, only raise them on people who voted for Obamacare. Only Democrats will be banned from buying certain guns and magazines and only Democrats will have background checks and waiting periods. Only the companies that donated to Obama will have their loopholes closed and only they will have to follow new regulations on business put in place by the administration. Democrats will have to buy energy efficient toilets and lightbulbs and have carbon emission modifications made to their cars but Republicans can buy whatever they want.

Yes, I'm liking your idea more and more.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,301,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Sure, I agree. And we can cut the taxes of all Republicans and raise the taxes of all Democrats. And when defense is cut, we eliminate the jobs and defense contracts of Democrats first. When health insurance premiums go up, only raise them on people who voted for Obamacare. Only Democrats will be banned from buying certain guns and magazines and only Democrats will have background checks and waiting periods. Only the companies that donated to Obama will have their loopholes closed and only they will have to follow new regulations on business put in place by the administration. Democrats will have to buy energy efficient toilets and lightbulbs and have carbon emission modifications made to their cars but Republicans can buy whatever they want.

Yes, I'm liking your idea more and more.
Agreed.
I like this a lot.

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,639,141 times
Quote:

Everybody I know under 30 who is having a tough time getting started fits one of the following criteria.

A) Partied away their college experience and dropped or flunked out
B) Is inherently lazy - expects everything to be handed to them with little to no work
C) Refuses to relocate to where the work is (You can't all live in Portland or Seattle!)

B and C was me until I grew up. I decided to relocate to one of the least desirable cities in the country for young people but jobs are plentiful here. My plan is to do my time and get experience here for a few years and then chase my dream.

I don't see Millennials seeing themselves as the victims unless they are victims of not being able to live like their parents starting out. Most of Gen Y was raised by affluent parents and its unrealistic for any of them to think they will be able to obtain that standard of living straight out of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies