Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
By "reasonable" you mean "agreed with Democrats".

Yes, because today we are no longer in the post-WW2 boom where the USA was the undisputed master of the world. He wasn't looking at trillion dollar deficits, pushes to socialize medicine, rampant public sector unions, people who actually defend terrorists who blow up our buildings, substandard education, epidemic levels of drug abuse, fractured families being almost the norm, 15 trillion dollars in debt, stratospheric healthcare costs, offshored American jobs by the tens of thousands, etc. We could easily afford those programs when he was President. 50 years later, those programs have bankrupted us.
Yeah, there were unions in the 1950s, right?

Truman (who preceded Ike,) wanted universal health care and we don't have Socialized medicine today. We had the World War II debt, which a similar ratio to debt:GDP. The idea that the "USA was the undisputed master of the world," was coupled with the fact that other nations didn't have money to buy our products. The USA exports much more today than it did in the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Additionally, it is unfortunate that, having a black president has led any and all anti-black racists to be automatically counted as GOP sympathizers since they obviously can't possibly support the Democrats and their black President.
The same Republicans that begged Colin Powell to run for President a couple times?
The same Republicans that were upset when Herman Cain dropped out?
The same Republicans that voted J.C Watts to leadership positions in the party?
The same Republicans that think Clarence Thomas is a hero?
The same Republicans that love Condi Rice?
The same Republicans that want Ben Carson, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruze, etc...to run in 2016?

Yeah, they have a problem with President Obama because he's black. lols. It has nothing to do with the way he runs the government. That's why they loved Carter and Clinton. They are white. lols.

You gotta be a moron to think that Republicans have a problem with Obama due to race. Or a liberal. But I repeat myself.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Default GOP self-diagnosis: too old, too white, too insular to win elections

Republicans want to end perception as ‘stuffy old men’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Do any of you fit that description?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The same Republicans that begged Colin Powell to run for President a couple times?
The same Republicans that want Ben Carson, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruze, etc...to run in 2016?
Interesting that this list omits Michael Steele. I wonder why.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
One can hope this is true. from a stuffy old Democrat.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's not perplexing to me. They use fearmongering. What black person is going to vote Republican when the Vice President of the United States declares that Republicans want to put black people back in chains? What other consideration could possibly compete with wanting to avoid becoming a slave?

Is it even remotely plausible that the Republican party has an agenda to legalize slavery in modern America? No. But do you see any liberals speak up about Biden's quote? No.

So what we are dealing with in modern times is a liberal side that has no integrity, and a populace at record levels of apathy. It is naturally going to be extremely difficult to deal with that.

I think your conclusion that America is now solidly left wing is in error. Not in who they will vote for, but in error as far as them actually believing in leftist philosophy. We have people who are easily manipulated and people who have not the slightest qualm with manipulating them with even heinous lies. If you want to find out what is going on, then ask these people what their political opinions are. Not which party or candidate they support. What their opinions are on the issues. And I will give you better than even odds that you'll find they have no real concept of the issues, and support the Democrats purely because they've been told by Democrats one hundred dozen times that Republicans are evil. Not that their positions are wrong, but that they are evil heartless human beings. Because that's the way Democrats campaign these days.
Race. That didn't take you long.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

Yeah, they have a problem with President Obama because he's black. lols. It has nothing to do with the way he runs the government. That's why they loved Carter and Clinton. They are white. lols.

You gotta be a moron to think that Republicans have a problem with Obama due to race. Or a liberal. But I repeat myself.
Tokens wont work, the message is still the same, majority of America is smart enough to see through it, hence the ultra white public you see at Republican gatherings.

Lets not forget the Tea Party antics, their "birther" nonsense, their intense hatred of immigrants and colored people, etc etc..

Once again: tokens will not solve the issues.

But then I dont want the current GOP to change..for my own amusement

Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Anyone else read the report? I'm reading thru it. It's interesting in that it's extremely revealing. I'm seeing almost nothing that addresses their fundamental social policy problems. There's a lot about "reaching out to women" (for example), but nothing at all that addresses why women reject the GOP. The word "abortion" does not appear in this report. The majority of Americans believe abortion should be legal in at least some cases. The word "marriage" also does not appear, but the majority of Americans support marriage equality.

They mention the War On Women, but only really to dismiss it, or to say that they didn't simply respond adequately. They do not mention extremist candidates like Akin and Mourdock (even indirectly). They talk about attracting women based on economic issues, but I don't see that happening. Female voters aren't as interested in tax cuts. Single women voted for Obama by 36% over Romney.

What I am seeing is wanting to make adjustments to "messaging." But that just means saying things differently, not meaning different things. Part of this involves having fewer primary debates, because the 2011/2012 clowncar circuses really hurt them, and deservedly.

GOP HQ does know what's going on. They're screwed in a lot of ways, and they know it, but there isn't much about that in the report. They correlate states with low unemployment and having Republican governors. But they don't tell the whole story, because most of those states are sparsely populated, and they give no background on their low unemployment. They do acknowledge that winning the presidency will be tough.

They're not ready to fundamentally change. This report is basically a lot of dishonest hot air.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yeah, there were unions in the 1950s, right?
Yes there were. But not public sector unions, which is what I said.
Quote:
Truman (who preceded Ike,) wanted universal health care and we don't have Socialized medicine today. We had the World War II debt, which a similar ratio to debt:GDP. The idea that the "USA was the undisputed master of the world," was coupled with the fact that other nations didn't have money to buy our products. The USA exports much more today than it did in the 1950s.
Truman's idea was for an optional national health insurance plan. Not universal health care. Those are completely different things. WW2 was over. The debt today is ongoing with hundreds and hundred of billions being added to it yearly. The two are not comparable. Obviously we export more today because the world economy is much larger. That's irrelevant. In Eisenhower's time we had a significant trade surplus, while today we have a significant trade deficit. None of your points are comparable to what I said.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Tokens wont work, the message is still the same, majority of America is smart enough to see through it, hence the ultra white public you see at Republican gatherings.

Lets not forget the Tea Party antics, their "birther" nonsense, their intense hatred of immigrants and colored people, etc etc..

Once again: tokens will not solve the issues.

But then I dont want the current GOP to change..for my own amusement
So liberals say Republicans want to put blacks in chains, hang them from trees, and bring back Jim Crow. Then they point to the lack of blacks at Republican gatherings and say, see there's proof it's racist. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies