Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The poor of Mississippi dont run Mississippi. It's like giving the child healthcare and schooling eventhough the kid's parents are meth addicted clowns.
First off, we are talking about different things. You are talking about poor individuals and I am talking about poor states. I never said the poor run Mississippi, I said Mississippi is a poor state. If you take Texas and Mississippi, which one is the wealthy state and which one is a state that pays more federal taxes than it receives, it isn't Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 AM

3,535 posts, read 2,855,128 times
I think what the OP is saying that we should return our government to it's original intent by the Founding fathers, The Federal gov. should have a very limited role such as monetary policy, defence, constitutional rights for ALL, international affairs and treaty's etc.
Trying to make this into a left wing vs right wing, or screw the poor argument is nonsense.

bill

Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I think what the OP is saying that we should return our government to it's original intent by the Founding fathers, The Federal gov. should have a very limited role such as monetary policy, defence, constitutional rights for ALL, international affairs and treaty's etc.
Trying to make this into a left wing vs right wing, or screw the poor argument is nonsense.

bill
That is near impossible in a global economy, there is too much at state to just let the poorest states fall into deeper poverty.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,284,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
First off, we are talking about different things. You are talking about poor individuals and I am talking about poor states. I never said the poor run Mississippi, I said Mississippi is a poor state. If you take Texas and Mississippi, which one is the wealthy state and which one is a state that pays more federal taxes than it receives, it isn't Mississippi.
There is nothing wrong with being poor. I grew up very poor and am actually glad that I did as it taught me the lessons that have served me well my whole life. It gave me the incentive to succeed and the realization of the value of work and the self-respect of working my way up.

It is welfare that is shameful. It robs people of their self-respect and teaches no values or lessons except the wrong ones. It robs people of the initiative to get ahead and encourages a culture of indolent existence. Like most liberal views the assumption that people need to be helped by charity programs may be well intentioned, but like the old saying goes, such is the road to hell.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,261 times
Quote:
Guess you don't like seeing your money going to your Conservative brothers in states like Mississippi, how compassionate of you.

What did they do BEFORE the Federal government extracted the fruits of their economic activity? I thing they would do fine without federal help. This is America. You can MOVE if you can't earn a living.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes.

Revenue sharing should never happen. The feds should never move money from one state to another nor from one person to another.
So you think there should be no federal facilities. No military installations, no weather monitoring, no CDC, etc?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
I don't trust it. I've heard the "states rights" thing before. Whenever certain states violate the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens, then the federal government should act. One major example I think of is voting rights. According to the Constitution, everyone has the right to vote, if you are an American citizen. However, in states like Mississippi and Alabama, these states did all kinds of things to prevent Blacks from voting. It took the federal government to stop such abuses.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,042 times
Quote:
i just piggy backed off your post, i could care less which is a poor or rich state.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't trust it. I've heard the "states rights" thing before. Whenever certain states violate the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens, then the federal government should act. One major example I think of is voting rights. According to the Constitution, everyone has the right to vote, if you are an American citizen. However, in states like Mississippi and Alabama, these states did all kinds of things to prevent Blacks from voting. It took the federal government to stop such abuses.

What makes you think things would return to the days of old? The Demcrats who did those things are long gone.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,765,477 times
I've been saying this for a while now. Let liberal states be liberal and let conservative states be conservative. I would also like to see that states don't get back more in tax dollars than what they put into the federal government. I'm tired of seeing blue states paying for red states policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies