Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I didn't read your second link (sorry) but you still made my point. The program isn't adequately monitored. The fee goes through the phone company vs. the feds, and the phone companies are responsible for verifying the information and monitoring the program. How is the phone company going to know if you died and your benefits ended? There must be some kind of good deal in it for the phone companies if they were so quick to hand out phones without verification--even to dead people who don't request them--and they wanted to administer the program themselves. It's good that the government is stepping in to demand stronger accountability. As far as the lack of response to verification though--that still doesn't surprise me, and I'm betting a chunk of it can be attributed to elderly customers getting something in the mail that they don't understand.
Self certify ? Check a box saying you qualify and that's it..no verification ?
That's the rules the FCC put in place.

Why did it have to go on for 4 years and triple in cost before someone started asking questions ?
Don't get me wrong..I'm glad the FCC finally got on the ball on this.

But how do these idiotic program requirements get put in place to begin with ?
That's billions in wasted money we've lost over the years.
It took the MSM and Congress reacting to get the FCC to do something.
They seemed to be quite content just raising the USF each year to cover it.

You don't get mailed a free phone without signing up. The program does not work like that.
You have to sign up and self-certify.

41% are NOT elderly or dead. I'm sorry but I just don't buy that excuse you're giving.
The phone companies will not release their data so we don't know any information about those canceled plans.

You're making excuses for why the government failed. If any business operated like Fed programs do they'd be bankrupt within a year.

Stop making excuses and instead email your representative about these issues and call them out on it.
If the government is going to take on programs like this they need to do it right and from the start, not years and billions of lost dollars later.

Don't go blaming the phone companies for doing what the government told them to do.
The blame goes to the FCC 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Notice how it's dismissed so easily by some....

41% is no small number. That program tripled in costs in a mere 4 years.
Government programs have turned into candy stores for anyone that shows up and says "sure, I'm poor" and don't have to prove it.
Just imagine what these same 41% would be willing to do on election day if they knew that the gravy train could be running out if their candidate/party didn't stay in office.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Self certify ? Check a box saying you qualify and that's it..no verification ?
That's the rules the FCC put in place.

Why did it have to go on for 4 years and triple in cost before someone started asking questions ?
Don't get me wrong..I'm glad the FCC finally got on the ball on this.

But how do these idiotic program requirements get put in place to begin with ?
That's billions in wasted money we've lost over the years.
It took the MSM and Congress reacting to get the FCC to do something.
They seemed to be quite content just raising the USF each year to cover it.

You don't get mailed a free phone without signing up. The program does not work like that.
You have to sign up and self-certify.

41% are NOT elderly or dead. I'm sorry but I just don't buy that excuse you're giving.
It was put in place during the Reagan administration, and it sounds like they were trying to leave the government out of it and let the phone companies handle it. That hasn't exactly worked out well, has it? It just turned into another big freebie/pork for industry. As for getting it mailed to you without a request, YOUR OWN LINK--you know, the second one that I didn't read the first time--says that at least two customers sent back phones that were sent to their dead parents that weren't requested...

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Liberals absolutely refuse to believe that fraud, waste, and abuse is rampant in our entitlement system and entitlement society.

For this reason, I have zero respect for liberal ideology and those who cling to its failed ideals.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I would LOVE to see how many of numbers that were disconnected also show up on registered voter lists for a certain political party.
47 percent.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
It's my understanding that cell phones for 911 ONLY are free.

That's what the 'disadvantaged' should get. No more, no less. Just 911.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It's my understanding that cell phones for 911 ONLY are free.

That's what the 'disadvantaged' should get. No more, no less. Just 911.
Wrong..they get 250 minutes FREE every month and it's not tied only to 911.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
The funds used from the program aren't from your income taxes/general revenue.
WTF?

You've got to be kidding.

Exactly where do you think the money comes from? The magic phone god in the sky?

Good God!

Quote:
Wrong..they get 250 minutes FREE every month and it's not tied only to 911.
That's a different program. At least there used to be a 911 ONLY program. Maybe it's gone.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
I didn't read your second link (sorry) but you still made my point. The program isn't adequately monitored. The fee goes through the phone company vs. the feds, and the phone companies are responsible for verifying the information and monitoring the program. How is the phone company going to know if you died and your benefits ended? There must be some kind of good deal in it for the phone companies (like customers funded by the government with guaranteed payments) if they were so quick to hand out phones without verification--even to dead people who don't request them--and they wanted to administer the program themselves. It's good that the government is stepping in to demand stronger accountability. As far as the lack of response to verification though--that still doesn't surprise me, and I'm betting a chunk of it can be attributed to elderly customers getting something in the mail that they don't understand.
No, the phone companies are not. While they are represented, the below is:

Universal Service Administrative Company - USAC.org

Now if you wanted to get ambitious I'm sure there is a money trail.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
The funds used from the program aren't from your income taxes/general revenue.
Where do the funds come from?

They come from fees (aka TAXES) that the phone companies place on their customers (aka the TAX PAYERS.)

It's a perfect scheme, the phone companies gain a new customer base they wouldn't normally have while their paying customers foot the bill all under the lie that they're helping poor people. All this happens while the gov. pushes for it to get bigger with no oversight in order to buy votes from people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies