Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,905,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Read much? Where did I tell him that he couldn't post?
I think it was where you wrote "Stop trying to force..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In other words, you are trying to remove what the Bible says about homosexuality. I wonder if you are aware of what Bible says about anyone who would attempt to remove even one word from God's word.
No, much like Moses crossed the Reed sea, not the red sea, I think that we should retranslaret the ancient Greek and Hebrew bibles to current English, and throw out the improper king james version.

In other words, get closer to the source. If the bible is indeed Gods word, then wouldn't getting closer to the source be a good thing? Would it not bring more rational people to the faith to understand that Moses didn't part the waters of what is really an ocean, but likely tactically crossed a marshy area where the Egyptian chariots couldn't go? Or that sex with temple prostitutes was forbidden?

Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,134,819 times
FWIW I've never heard of her before, but I just ordered two of her CDs from Amazon as a token of support.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, much like Moses crossed the Reed sea, not the red sea, I think that we should retranslaret the ancient Greek and Hebrew bibles to current English, and throw out the improper king james version.

In other words, get closer to the source. If the bible is indeed Gods word, then wouldn't getting closer to the source be a good thing? Would it not bring more rational people to the faith to understand that Moses didn't part the waters of what is really an ocean, but likely tactically crossed a marshy area where the Egyptian chariots couldn't go? Or that sex with temple prostitutes was forbidden?
Man, you embrace every revisionist lie they put out there, don't you? God doesn't need more "rational" people brought into the faith. God wants believers by faith, not those that will only be convinced by a sign.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Man, you embrace every revisionist lie they put out there, don't you? God doesn't need more "rational" people brought into the faith. God wants believers by faith, not those that will only be convinced by a sign.
I would argue that god would want all people to come to faith.

And yeah, mistranslating God is a bad thing. Just because you've read a mistranslation all your life, doesn't make it more right.

Read the Yahweh bible, learn something

Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,061,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Popular folk-rock singer Michelle Shocked (I never heard of her) went on an anti-gay tirade at the begining of her second set in San Francisco. Concert goers first thought it was an Andy Kaufman type performance art but then realized she meant. Fans started filing out and the promoter cancelled the second set.

"The first set went great, from all accounts, even though Penfield thought it was odd when, at the start of the show, Shocked said she needed an on-stage tweeting volunteer and added, "Does anybody feel the invisible person in the room?"

"She started reading some tweets from the stream and having a dialogue about people's impressions, talking about how she was feeling brave at this point and that she was doing the right thing. Then the tone of the conversation became extremely religious and she began talking about the two things most important to her being Jesus Christ and freedom. Then she talked about how she had just come from a prayer meeting the night before, and the people in her prayer meeting were really worried because these are the end times, and they’re the end times because Prop. 8 is going to lead to ministers marrying gay people with a rifle to the head. At which people got a little riled up; then there started to be some call and response from the crowd about what she meant. She started exhorting the crowd very specifically to go ahead and tweet or write and say that Michelle Shocked says God hates f--s, and some other references to the Bible denouncing homosexuality as sinful and abhorrent.

Folk Legend Incites Mass Walkout With Anti-Gay Speech

https://twitter.com/mshocked
"Truth is leading to painful confrontation"

Michelle who?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 AM

79 posts, read 80,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
She's been around awhile

Actually, I had this vague idea she was a lesbian. Then again, maybe she is?
So you feel that she "doth protest too much"?

Sent from my Galaxy far, far away.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
Quote:
It is exactly like someone being "guilted" by a religious organization to stop acts of pedophilia or having intercourse with sheep.
You're comparing homosexuality with pedophilia and beastiality?
Really, still?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're comparing homosexuality with pedophilia and beastiality?
Really, still?
Sure, still. They are all still sins.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,325,811 times
Quote:

And God told you this personally? Spoke to you, did he?

Stop conflating "your own delusions" and/or that of whatever crazy pastor/priest/snakeoilsalesman you listen to with "God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies