Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM

46,795 posts, read 25,709,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It was reported in the GAO audit of the federal reserve.
The GAO reported that "We somehow found 16 trillion dollars to send off to Europe to bail them out"? You're - well, wrong, to be polite. Feel free to show a citation that supports your position.

And I'm reminded why I took a break from this board. It's just not fun to debate people who insist on their own facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,106,972 times
I felt that we were being lied to by our own government. I thought it was obvious that Bush and Rumsfeld kept tossing out different "reasons" to invade Iraq, just looking for the one that stuck. I believe that Cheney and his croneys used it to launch the PNAC, which was NOT something ever mentioned when Bush ran for president or something that Americans agreed upon or even knew existed.

But I think that group of "neocons" were under some dillusion that if they could just have free reign to use our military and take over Iraq that it would be a short and easy war and that Iraq would somehow become some stable ally and we'd get access to their oil.

Yeah, that all worked out quite well

Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,920,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Tragically so. But you might notice that we had an ambassador, not a viceroy-in-anything-but-name like that bungling neocon fool Bremer.

Of course we have a presence. But we're not a freakin' occupational force. Because there's an intelligent way and a less intelligent way of effectuating regime change. A full-blown air, land and sea invasion - while providing thrilling images to the Fox News viewers - is the less intelligent option.
Yeah we aren't in Iraq either "officially" Just a 5000 man paid for hire force. No combat troops though right. lol

So it's ok to kill folks using terrorists as our hit team? So it was fine to go take out Hussein but Bush just went about it the wrong way? That your stance on it all? Well his kids would have been doing the same thing he did. Or would you have taken them out too with your rebel force in Iraq?

Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,097,529 times
I thought it was a major strategic error for which the Mideast and the world would pay for years. And I was certain that the entire WMD red flag was a total lie.

We should have patted Saddam on the head, said, "Now be a good boy again. Here are a few new toys. Keep the Iranians hopping and continue to keep Al Qaeda out of your country....and you will be our new favorite dictator yet again." The result would have probably have saved thousands of Iraqi lives and many American and English ones. We eliminated one devil and created a breeding ground for a thousand more.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The GAO reported that "We somehow found 16 trillion dollars to send off to Europe to bail them out"? You're - well, wrong, to be polite. Feel free to show a citation that supports your position.

And I'm reminded why I took a break from this board. It's just not fun to debate people who insist on their own facts.
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d11696.pdf

Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
That - does not state that 16 trillion went to Europe. It makes the case that the cost of the entire bailout was 16 trillion. Am I to take it that you concede that "We somehow found 16 trillion dollars to send off to Europe to bail them out" was in error?

ETA: I should apologize for the quip about making up your own facts. You were right that the EU was formally founded in 1993. That was a fact. I'm still wondering what the point was, though.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah we aren't in Iraq either "officially" Just a 5000 man paid for hire force. No combat troops though right.
It took us 10 years to get down to just 5,000 troops in Iraq. Which is why the Libya comparison is ludicrous.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM

No we went into Libya for the same reason we went into Iraq. You don't want to make the comparison because you will defend dear leader at all costs. Same reason.......petro dollar. It doesn't matter how much it cost because we can just print more because of............you guessed it...........they petro dollar.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 5,656,963 times
10 years ago I was completely oblivious and also lived abroad so I had no idea what was going up here. But I remember by English teacher telling me he thought it was BS - he lived in Iraq for neary 2 decades. Looking back, he was right.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,454,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The Bush Administration had decided we were going into Iraq well before 911. That just gave them their in and made it much easier to sell to a country that was still reeling. But many of us feared we were going to war the minute Bush was elected, no matter what. And unfortunately, we were right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies