Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,028,641 times

Advertisements

Using the guideline that red states > blue states and red areas > blue areas, I have completed my NCAA tournament bracket(men's).

My final four consists of Louisville, Arizona, Kansas, and Butler.

Louisville vs. Tucson was tough as both areas have substantial liberal populations but in the end I chose Louisville because there is simply no way that the Wildcats belong in the final.

Kansas beats Butler - duh.

Jayhawks beat Cardinals in Atlanta on 8 April.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 AM

Anyways - here are my First Round predictions for the next couple of days action in Dayton.

Liberty may be Jerry Falwell's school, but it is located in Virginia, which voted for President Obama in 2012, so they are defeated by North Carolina A&T who goes on to be destroyed by 30 points by Louisville(Kentucky is a red state) in the Second Round.

Middle Tennesee defeats St. Mary's of California(how come the religious school are in blue states this year?).

Memphis destroys Middle Tenn. in a battle of same state schools in 2nd Round play - by only 25 points(as compared to Louisville's slaughter of N.C. A&T).

James Madison beats LIU Brooklyn - yes, both New York and Virginia are blue states, but we are talking Virginia vs. Brooklyn here - which do you think is more liberal? Besides, James Madison(the man) was awesome!

Unfortunately, his namesake school basketball team isn't so much, and is creamed by Indiana in the Second Round.

Boise State beats La Salle(another religious school in a blue state) and promptly loses to another red state school - Kansas St.

Last edited by Harrier; 03-19-2013 at 04:44 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times
On absolutely no scientific basis at all, I say Brooklyn wins over Virginia.
I don't watch sports, and I don't care about the outcome, but just to oppose you, I say Brooklyn wins.

Why?

Because Brooklyn has brook in it, and bricks are pretty cool, and the word bricks sounds similar to Brooklyn...

...But that's not the point.
...Why don't you try out your bracket predictions by applying the rules in the last season, before going all high and mighty with this season.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Using the guideline that red states > blue states and red areas > blue areas, I have completed my NCAA tournament bracket(men's).

My final four consists of Louisville, Arizona, Kansas, and Butler.

Louisville vs. Tucson was tough as both areas have substantial liberal populations but in the end I chose Louisville because there is simply no way that the Wildcats belong in the final.

Kansas beats Butler - duh.

Jayhawks beat Cardinals in Atlanta on 8 April.
wow, I don't have it that way, but I do have Kansas going all the way I think. I have to check back, I have AZ getting beat pretty early..Louisville goes all the way I think...

Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
...But that's not the point.
...Why don't you try out your bracket predictions by applying the rules in the last season, before going all high and mighty with this season.
2012 Final Four:

Kansas, Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville.

Ohio State is the only one from a blue state, but they only played teams from blue states in the tournament up until the Final Four(Loyola of Maryland, Gonzaga of Washington, Cincinnati, and Syracuse) and they clearly deserved to be there.

They would have made my final four.

Kansas beat Kentucky in the final.

I probally would have predicted something similar.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 AM

Oh yes - my second round upset pick.

I have West Region #1 seed Gonzaga(another blue state religious school) losing to #16 Southern(a historically black university from the red state of Louisiana).

This would make tournament history - as a #16 has never vanquished a #1.

Southern gets squashed in the round of 32 by Wichita State in a battle of red state teams.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
On absolutely no scientific basis at all, I say Brooklyn wins over Virginia.
I don't watch sports, and I don't care about the outcome, but just to oppose you, I say Brooklyn wins.

Why?

Because Brooklyn has brook in it, and bricks are pretty cool, and the word bricks sounds similar to Brooklyn...
It does?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,469,598 times
I hope you don't bet on the World Series or the Super Bowl using the same criteria.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I hope you don't bet on the World Series or the Super Bowl using the same criteria.
Let's see - San Francisco vs Baltimore and Detroit - which is more liberal?

Toss-up.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,537,709 times
I don't follow college sports enough to care too much. I would like to see our local team (Gonzaga) do well though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies