Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
if you simply tax people above 110,000 dollar income level, then medicare solvent for 75 more years. seems like a simple plan to me that has already been proposed.

I think you are making an argument about something you dont know about rather than there being no plan.
That's always the answer from the left, just freaking raise income taxes, for this, and that, and oh yeah, that, and that, and that too. Every answer to every problem cannot be to simply raise taxes on one specific group of Americans.

Reid is not passing budgets, which would see to it that those programs were being funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM

39,872 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You do realize that if the bush tax cuts had not happened, we would have had more revenue and a higher all time high right ???? I say this because you seem to be arguing that an "all time high" means there is no possible way it could have been higher.

We have a revenue problem because even if you cut to the essentials we would still have a deficit.
In inflation adjusted dollars, we have increased per-capita federal spending by 50% in 12 years. Are you saying we didn't fund "essentials" under Clinton? Many people, particularly those on the left, say we were better off in those days...why don't we simply roll spending back to those levels (in inflation-adjusted terms) and cut all the new programs put in place since then?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In inflation adjusted dollars, we have increased per-capita federal spending by 50% in 12 years. Are you saying we didn't fund "essentials" under Clinton? Many people, particularly those on the left, say we were better off in those days...why don't we simply roll spending back to those levels (in inflation-adjusted terms) and cut all the new programs put in place since then?
They'd rather keep the spendaholic-train roaring down the tracks, even though we have a fifty year high in poverty, zero GDP growth and falling employment participation

Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
I see no reasoned arguments from the progressives. Just "Nah, nah, nah, your mother is fat.", type responses.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM

39,872 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I see no reasoned arguments from the progressives. Just "Nah, nah, nah, your mother is fat.", type responses.
Seems more like "whinewhinewhine, gimmegimmegimme".

Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Until Barack Obama puts something down on paper, the Ryan budget is the only game in town. It is a STARTING POINT for negotiations.

Barry just wants to kick the can down the road until he is out of office. He is nothing but a hustler.
ROTFLMAO..

Barry put something on paper, and not even Democrats would vote for it, it failed, 99 -0.

As for the Ryan budget, I see a lot of declarations made, it would do this, and it would do that, but I looked over the relevant parts, and it does no such thing. Unless you have read something else IN that bill, please refer me to it, so I can see for myself, else, quit spouting talking points everyone else is passing along, so they can sound informed on something they aren't.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
Two major things that killed the economy. Bush's rich people tax cuts and his wasteful middle east wars. And then came the the greedy mortgage derivatives.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Were you equally upset when Sen. Harry Reid refused to pass a budget for four years in-a-row? Are you equally upset that no plan has come from the democrats to keep Medicare and social security from going bankrupt and becoming insolvent?
I was not upset because a budget from the senate would be DOA once it got to the house, just like this one will be. I think people overestimate the importance of a budget. Do people honestly believe that if were to agree to this budget, that 3 or 4 years later, it wouldn't change again. The very idea that we have 10 year budgets is just laughable. You really believe that a different congress is going to stick to what a budget was 2 years ago? Look at Obamacare, it was signed into law, settled by the supreme court, yet republicans are trying to defund it. They are trying to defund a program that was signed into law, so i'm suppod to believe that paul ryan's budget, or the democrats budget, is going to stay intact for 10 years?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Two major things that killed the economy. Bush's rich people tax cuts and his wasteful middle east wars. And then came the the greedy mortgage derivatives.
OMFG. Bush cut taxes for EVERYONE. In fact those making less got LARGER cuts.

They only look smaller.

Person 1 makes $35,000, and gets a 4% CUT, that means they save $1,400.

Person 2 makes $350,000 and gets a 2% CUT, that means they save $7,000.

Did they get a larger cut, NO, their percentage was LESS than the first person got, it only APPEARS to be more, because of the larger sums of money.

The fact is, the person making less got a LARGER tax cut.

I agree with the Middle east wars, however remember that the President doesn't have free reign to order our troops into another country.

U.S. Congress Authorizes Bush to Use Military Force Against Iraq

Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post
Its too dangerous to not give it a bright light and stage. Ryan will destroy Medicare, Social Security if we don't
Yes, because both of those programs are completely solvent and won't go bankrupt in a few years anyway.

Something MUST be done to save those programs, but Dems would rather bury their heads in the sand. Then they'll be shocked when their retirement check doesn't come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies