Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,579,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why are there so many stupid homeowners whose first action is to shoot an intruder dead? Why couldn't the homeowner have fired a warning shot, and told him to leave? I'm sure this homeowner's life is ruined forever now. Yay! a teenager makes a mistake, and dies for it. You can all cheer!
My first thought also. Why shoot someone to death just because they might be burglars?!
Time they outlaw all lethal firearms...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,604,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Warning shots are a terribly bad idea both tactically and legally. Tactically, you have just told the intruder where you are, and you very likely have blinded and deafened yourself. Have you ever fired a pistol indoors without ear protection? It HURTS.

Legally, you are responsible for any damage done by the bullet. Houses are not impenetrable, and if the round goes outside, where will it end up? Hopefully not in someone innocent.

I also don't see anyone cheering over the teenager's mistake.
Well I hope not.

I don't know if anyone realizes how devastating it would be to know you have taken a life, the guilt and remorse.

I knew a police officer who shot and killed a teenager who was armed and in an altercation with the police. This police officer's entire life fell apart from the psychological trauma of knowing what he had done. He had to quit the police force and the last I heard was still not even working. It's not like you just shoot someone to death, and feel great---at least if you're a normal person.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
My first thought also. Why shoot someone to death just because they might be burglars?!
I agree, like someone's stupid laptop or flat-screen is worth a life. It's different if that intruder was coming towards you and clearly acting threatening, but for some inebriated dude crawling through your window, I would think most people would use some good judgment, and not blast away.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 PM

46,189 posts, read 26,849,634 times
Quote:
Why are there so many stupid homeowners whose first action is to shoot an intruder dead? Why couldn't the homeowner have fired a warning shot, and told him to leave? I'm sure this homeowner's life is ruined forever now. Yay! a teenager makes a mistake, and dies for it. You can all cheer!
Yep, I was wondering how long it would take for the homeowner to become the bad guy.

First, it's early morning, second the alarm is going off, and yet this 6 foot person is on your stairwell, do you think a shot would make any difference, have you heard those alarms going off? They are not some little alarm clock...

Ohhhh, now your going to say he was deaf...right....or maybe he did not hear the alarm....

Your post is truly pathetic....

Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, I was wondering how long it would take for the homeowner to become the bad guy.

First, it's early morning, second the alarm is going off, and yet this 6 foot person is on your stairwell, do you think a shot would make any difference, have you heard those alarms going off? They are not some little alarm clock...

Ohhhh, now your going to say he was deaf...right....or maybe he did not hear the alarm....

Your post is truly pathetic....
The homeowner may not be the bad guy, but I'll bet he regrets his actions. Maybe you'd be happy about shooting a kid to death, but most normal people would not be.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,463,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
OK, you are sleeping, your burglar alarm is going off, you investigate, bigger person coming up the stairs at you. Most burglars would leave if they knew there was somebody home and the alarm is going off, so at that point, you would think their may be more than just a burglar.

Now, if there was some distance, I wouldnt have shot. I would have commanded the typical freeze. If they turn around and run, I'd let them run. If the took another step forward, I'd empty a clip.

I know I would never want to shoot anybody, but bad situations happen. This may have been one of them.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I agree, like someone's stupid laptop or flat-screen is worth a life. It's different if that intruder was coming towards you and clearly acting threatening, but for some inebriated dude crawling through your window, I would think most people would use some good judgment, and not blast away.
You don't know the intentions of the intruder, he was standing on the guys stairwell while the alarm was going off.... did you not read the articles?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You don't know the intentions of the intruder, he was standing on the guys stairwell while the alarm was going off.... did you not read the articles?
If I were someone who wants to confront home intruders, I would do what someone else already mentioned. I would yell, "Freeze. I have a gun. Get out of here." and if they came towards me, I would shoot into the air.

In reality, if it was me, if I had a home intruder, the LAST thing I would do is come out looking for them. That's just stupid. I would barricade myself in a locked room and call the police.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,579,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
OK, you are sleeping, your burglar alarm is going off, you investigate, bigger person coming up the stairs at you. Most burglars would leave if they knew there was somebody home and the alarm is going off, so at that point, you would think their may be more than just a burglar.

Now, if there was some distance, I wouldnt have shot. I would have commanded the typical freeze. If they turn around and run, I'd let them run. If the took another step forward, I'd empty a clip.

I know I would never want to shoot anybody, but bad situations happen. This may have been one of them.
Sure, but my point is that firearms should not kill people, only incapacitate them. Once the cops have arrived and arrested him, they can still find out what he actually wanted...
Also, why don't people in the US have decent alarm systems when you know you have so many criminals?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The homeowner may not be the bad guy, but I'll bet he regrets his actions. Maybe you'd be happy about shooting a kid to death, but most normal people would not be.
That is exactly what you are saying though. I'm sure he does regret and will always regret his actions, but in the end, would you rather know, without knowing the intentions of the intruder, have him kill you or you kill him?

No, I have no desire to kill anyone, but I will defend my house and my family. If my alarm is going off and someone is standing in my stairwell going up stair.....yes, I'm shooting. The alarm is being ignored and he is still coming up stairs, I don't know the intent....

The owne did not know he was a kid when he shot, take that out of the equation, even though he was a child he was 6 feet tall. That does not show teenager.

As normal, the left is pulling heart strings and not looking at the facts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies