Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Why do we need a Department of Agriculture?

Why do we need a Department of Health and Human Services?

Why do we need a Department of Defense?

Can't the states themselves handle those issues?
Yes, yes, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:

we did fine without them before the feds instituted them. the dpt of defense was the dpt of war.

more appropiate name i think.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
The end of this scene from Lean on Me(1989) still makes me tear up (3:03-3:25).

If Joe Clark were the secretary - I would have no problem with the DoE.

Lean on Me (Bathroom scene) - YouTube

Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 AM

"If you want to help us fight - go sit down and study with your kids at night. Go and get their fathers off of welfare. Give our children some pride. Help them get their priorities straight."

1:28-1:45.

Lean on Me Meeting with Parents - YouTube

A relevant addendum to this excellent 24 year old movie quote is "get their fathers out of prison".

To this end - we need to end the misguided war on drugs immediately.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 AM

The only scene of Lean on Me(1989) that I don't like.

Well actually, I like all of the scene except for the last few seconds when Mr. Freeman asks for federal funding to put alarms on the doors.

On the other hand - Mr. Clark(Freeman's character) solved the problem on his own without the DoE, by chaining the doors.

So, why does the federal government have to be involved, again?

Lean on Me - Chains - YouTube

Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Show me the exact words of the constitution that expressly forbid a DOE.
The exact words are in the same post you replied to: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Quote:
You haven't even read the whole thread.
When did that become a requirement to comment on a post?

Quote:
There has been an "office of education" forerunner of DOE since 1867. The DOE helped implement the Morrill Act that built many of the great land-grant universities. DOE has been cabinet level since 1953, when the Eisenhower administration was concerned we were falling behind the Russians. Education became a separate cabinet dept. in 1980.
The Office of Education was formed to collect information and statistics on education. The Department of Education as it currently exists was created by Carter in 1979 and now takes an active role in being involved in education around the country. It went from being informational and advisory for the majority of education to establishing policy. So yes, the modern Department of Education in its egregiously unconstitutional role was instituted in the 1970s, as I said.

Quote:
The crappola about the second amendment is superfluous.
The "crappola" may be superfluous to what you're saying about the DOE, but it directly disproves the assertions made regarding the 2nd amendment in the post I responded to.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:

Dept of Agriculture could probably be handled by each respective state.

Department of Health and Human Services, I am wishy washy on, as I can see where this COULD be something that is a federal issue.

Department of Defense, this is a federal issue.

Dept of Education, shouldn't exist. Education is a states issue, unless you want the Federal Government building, staffing, and running public schools in every state.......

Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
We dont. This should be dealt with at the state and local levels only. PERIOD. The Federal government has no, zero business involved in education.

Things like this are a small part of why we are where we are. We have allowed the feds to get involved in things they dont belong in. It is a large waste of money, YOUR money. My money.

This isnt about being against public education. This is about the federal government being involved in it.

Looks like Rand Paul is for shutting down the Dept of ED, and for one would love to see it.

No one here can justify why we should keep it.
If for no other reason,it`s a good way to keep our backward states from teaching creationism and the Civil War happened because of "states rights". We have too many of these imbeciles amongst us as is.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,713 times
As a teacher, I think the DoE should serve only 1 purpose - to help fund equitable education; to make sure the sates have the funding necessary to insure all have free and equitable access to it.

As for policy, leave it to the states. They should know better how to work with their own constituents to acheive certain basic education goals. Other than that, it should have no purpose. But being the bueracracy it is, it's useless - actually harmful - as people with no educational experience are making educational policy.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
We dont. This should be dealt with at the state and local levels only. PERIOD. The Federal government has no, zero business involved in education.

Things like this are a small part of why we are where we are. We have allowed the feds to get involved in things they dont belong in. It is a large waste of money, YOUR money. My money.

This isnt about being against public education. This is about the federal government being involved in it.

Looks like Rand Paul is for shutting down the Dept of ED, and for one would love to see it.

No one here can justify why we should keep it.
Because the Federal government must promote the corporate /banking model of "education" in order to implement the NWO. It is necessary to teach your children that the Fed is good, and that corporations have superior rights to citizens. It is necessary to teach that America is bad and that the Constitution is outdated and irrelevant. It is necessary to teach that the government needs to dictate and regulate all aspects of your life in order to take care of you because you are incapable of taking care of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies