Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,255,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah seriously.

What sounds like a better way to spend a Sunday:

1) going to church to hear about how horrible and evil I am and how I should feel guilty for being awesome, abstain from cool stuff like sex and death metal, dislike perfectly good people based on their sexuality or political leanings, or

2) ride a freakin' velociraptor through the desert while wearing enhanced reality glasses

I rest my case.
Hahaha. YESSSS!!!! Gonna need a pretty strong harness, but I would totally pay money for that!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,314,531 times
Quote:
Or is this some God-hating, atheistic way of trying to indirectly smack religious people
There it is again. I don't know how many times it can be said. Atheists, by virtue of their belief system, are incapable of hating God. God-hating and atheistic completely contradict each other. How can I posssibly hate something I don't believe exists? It's like hating giant flying purple giraffes.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 03-21-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,314,531 times
Quote:
Only those who willfully blind themselves to reality deny the existence of God.

Are you saying that reality includes God? That sounds like a positive assertion to me, my friend. The ball's in your court.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,938,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I don't know about you all but I would love to see a real woolly mammoth trekking thru the Maine woods.
I just hope that if they bring something back it is something really cool

bill
Im waiting for science to breed my house cats to the size of bobcats...That will keep the neighbor kids off my lawn.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,648,020 times
Quote:
Yeah seriously.

What sounds like a better way to spend a Sunday:

1) going to church to hear about how horrible and evil I am and how I should feel guilty for being awesome, abstain from cool stuff like sex and death metal, dislike perfectly good people based on their sexuality or political leanings, or

2) ride a freakin' velociraptor through the desert while wearing enhanced reality glasses

I rest my case.
1. You are obviously not Catholic. They spend a lot of time telling you that you are not as bad as you thought you were. I feel good when I leave mass. (I am not Catholic, but my wife and kids are, so I go to mass). The Catholics never ram things down your throat and usually let you take it or leave it.

2. Science and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. I too would love to see some these extinct animals.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Im waiting for science to breed my house cats to the size of bobcats...That will keep the neighbor kids off my lawn.
1. That is currently possible

2. your lawn is not that important. I let kids fish and hunt on my farm. Kids run through my lawn all the time in my primary residence. I actually like it, as it reminds me of when I was a kid.

3. Big cats can be troublesome. We have bobcats and a few mountain lions on my farm. The bobcats wont kill you, but the mountain lions can. One must be careful about pining for predators which can harm and kill humans.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,848,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. You are obviously not Catholic. They spend a lot of time telling you that you are not as bad as you thought you were. I feel good when I leave mass. (I am not Catholic, but my wife and kids are, so I go to mass). The Catholics never ram things down your throat and usually let you take it or leave it.
Actually, my mom is Catholic and I grew up splitting time between the Catholic church and a protestant church as well.

I never felt good when I left mass; I felt like I got swindled out of an hour-plus of my life for absolutely no good reason. Total waste of time and energy for me, and something I'd never consider doing of my own volition.

Quote:
2. Science and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. I too would love to see some these extinct animals.
No, they aren't; incidentally, my parents are both quite interested in science, to the point that my mom minored in biology and studied archaeology as well.

In any case, I'd still much rather ride a dinosaur through the desert than go to church

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM

408 posts, read 607,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Hahaha. YESSSS!!!! Gonna need a pretty strong harness, but I would totally pay money for that!
I'd ride that raptor right into Sunday Mass - the creationists would be thrilled !

Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Actually, my mom is Catholic and I grew up splitting time between the Catholic church and a protestant church as well.

I never felt good when I left mass; I felt like I got swindled out of an hour-plus of my life for absolutely no good reason. Total waste of time and energy for me, and something I'd never consider doing of my own volition.

No, they aren't; incidentally, my parents are both quite interested in science, to the point that my mom minored in biology and studied archaeology as well.

In any case, I'd still much rather ride a dinosaur through the desert than go to church
1. You must not have actually HEARD and LEARNED from the homily. Even for those who are atheists, there is incredible wisdom and lessons to be learned from the parables. Perhaps you are not inquisitive and do not appreciate the MESSAGES of the parables, which have applications in our daily life. When I encounter someone who is "bored by mass", I know I have encountered a boring person. Try being close to death. Your attention will be enhanced.

2. Wow. Your parents have some minors in undergrad remotely related to science. That association, of course, confers a PhD in physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering to you, as you pull a "D" lever in a voting booth!

I have an MD and a Chem E undergrad degree. I was fortunate enough, given my "minor" in physics to be able to converse with James Van Allen on a number of different subjects. I took classed from "Machine Gun" Ed Nelson and Lou Frank. I have an extensive publication record in the peer reviewed medical literature, and have taught at two medical schools. Perhaps................................. just perhaps...................I understand science a little bit better than you. Of course, in your favor, you have pulled the "D" lever in the voting booth. I bow to your academic credentials.

Talk with people who really UNDERSTAND theoretical physics. It will make you a Christian. Obviously you have never heard of string theory, nor do you understand how the multiple "correct solutions" pertain to our universe and the statistical probability of our reality happening due to chance. In short, you are too dumb to understand complex issues which would be fascinating and enlightening. Yet you are stuck in the comfortable skepticism of liberalism, as delivered by ignorant journalists.! Great. This is from one who was an atheist, married a devout Catholic, and learned to understand religion both from physics and faith.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM

884 posts, read 715,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They are also trying to bring back neanderthals. What's the problem?
Oh great. That means I have to straighten up the guest room for Mother-in-law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.