Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
not really.

Cannabis is a schedule 1 controlled substance according to the federal government. Whether you live in Colorado, Washington, or Alabama, the DEA can and will arrest you for possession.
Wrong. You think the feds care about simple possession? You really think the feds are wandering the streets looking to bust people for simple possession? Have you ever been to the west coast?

And even if we do accept your ridiculous notion, what does that have to do with the thread? Does a law being written have anything to do with how a substance affects your body?

For the record, a law doesn't set morality. It's just one interpretation, by people that have the same flaws as anyone else, that if you hadn't noticed is very often wrong. Just because the govt. tells you something is bad doesn't make it so. Look no further than the mountain of evidence showing the harm and potentially fatal effects of legal prescription drugs. It's an epidemic in this country. How many have died from using mj again? Zero. Ever. Try thinking for yourself instead of just downing what's on the spoon they are feeding you with. MJ being schedule 1 is a joke and is the type of thing that makes people distrust and hate govt. It's utter nonsense. The only reason it's still that way is the vast amounts of money that stand to be lost if mj starts being used instead of all these wonder drugs that may give you explosive diarrhea, or kill you. Not to mention other industries that will be changed if hemp were legal, which according to some has been involved from the start. Throw in a little racism against the black jazz musicians and you've got an idiotic law that no thinking person can respect.

Back on topic, I do agree with the thought that smoking anything can't be good for you. But I know that people that smoke cigs are more likely to have chronic respiratory issues than someone that just smokes mj. Whether that is just due to the amount smoked, I don't know. There are chemicals in cigs, that could be involved. Most cig smokers get sick more often, cough all the time, hacking stuff up, etc. Not so with mj smokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Decriminalization is not the same thing as legalization. Educate yourself.

And set aside your hasty assumptions. Im a daily smoker, but I live in a state with harsher laws than that of the feda, so if being subservient means I get to stay out of a cage and not have a criminal record the rest of my life, then yes.
I hear you and sorry for being presumptuous. This is a pretty important issue for me. I think decriminalization is a start but I don't see why ordinary citizens shouldn't be able to grow and sell. Oh, right because then there would be no profit for colluding interests in The Corporate and Government sectors.

Where I live, possession is de-criminalized (Philly) but state laws are probably very harsh (PA). I don't pay much attention to ridiculous laws but I do know that since the laws have become more lenient in Philly the city has saved Millions of Dollars.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-21-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
What is stupid about needing to get a job?
It is beyond stupid that employers drug test for it. You can smoke crack and inject heroin and it is out of your system in 24-48 Hours.

Marijuana stays in your system for up to 30 days so "drug tests" are effectively "Marijuana tests".
I don't know about you but I'd rather work with a Marijuana user than a crack-head.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM

100 posts, read 161,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It is beyond stupid that employers drug test for it. You can smoke crack and inject heroin and it is out of your system in 24-48 Hours.

Marijuana stays in your system for up to 30 days so "drug tests" are effectively "Marijuana tests".
I don't know about you but I'd rather work with a Marijuana user than a crack-head.
I tried to rep you again but it says I can't until I pass some around, lol.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
What is stupid about needing to get a job?
I'd much rather just walk around anywhere, shooting the breeze, talking to people, living a carefree life, without responsibilities and obligations...

That dream died when I realized I was on the streets starving...out in the cold...being looked at as some kind of form of lesser life... So, a job is a necessary evil in my book.

Also, people don't give a crap about you if you're not being productive. I like when people give a crap about me...

Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Wrong. You think the feds care about simple possession? You really think the feds are wandering the streets looking to bust people for simple possession? Have you ever been to the west coast?

And even if we do accept your ridiculous notion, what does that have to do with the thread? Does a law being written have anything to do with how a substance affects your body?

For the record, a law doesn't set morality. It's just one interpretation, by people that have the same flaws as anyone else, that if you hadn't noticed is very often wrong. Just because the govt. tells you something is bad doesn't make it so. Look no further than the mountain of evidence showing the harm and potentially fatal effects of legal prescription drugs. It's an epidemic in this country. How many have died from using mj again? Zero. Ever. Try thinking for yourself instead of just downing what's on the spoon they are feeding you with. MJ being schedule 1 is a joke and is the type of thing that makes people distrust and hate govt. It's utter nonsense. The only reason it's still that way is the vast amounts of money that stand to be lost if mj starts being used instead of all these wonder drugs that may give you explosive diarrhea, or kill you. Not to mention other industries that will be changed if hemp were legal, which according to some has been involved from the start. Throw in a little racism against the black jazz musicians and you've got an idiotic law that no thinking person can respect.

Back on topic, I do agree with the thought that smoking anything can't be good for you. But I know that people that smoke cigs are more likely to have chronic respiratory issues than someone that just smokes mj. Whether that is just due to the amount smoked, I don't know. There are chemicals in cigs, that could be involved. Most cig smokers get sick more often, cough all the time, hacking stuff up, etc. Not so with mj smokers.
Thanks for the diatribe, I know all of this information.

And yes, the DEA raids dispensaries on the west coast pretty damn consistently.

Next time, try to read my posts instead of regurgitating the "youre a sheep to the govt" routine, its tiresome.

Also, do you not think THC is a chemical? Cannabis has chemicals, everything has chemicals. Maybe the term youre searching for is carcinogens? Regardless, smoking any plant matter will lead to health problems, the difference with cannabis is that the cannabinoids act as an expectorant to clear the lungs and mitigate some of those issues.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyann31 View Post
I tried to rep you again but it says I can't until I pass some around, lol.
Took care of that for you.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:

And yes, the DEA raids dispensaries on the west coast pretty damn consistently.

The DEA is a licensed horde.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
The DEA is a licensed horde.
Doesnt make what I said any less of a fact.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Agreed. I don't like tobacco or pot and don't want either of them anywhere near me.
I used to smoke cigarettes, but quit. I still miss smoking cigarettes.

I hate pot - I'm asthmatic.

I'm not much for beer, wine or drinks, except for maybe sweet alcoholic drinks. I know a few people who don't seem to be alcoholics, but are full-blown alcoholics. A couple of them are against the selling of pot, which is so hypocritical it makes me crazy.

I do think that people should be allowed to grow pot if they damned well feel like it, and smoke it if they want. Pot, whether bought as medical or not, helps a lot of people. For example, in cancer, one of the causes of death is something called cachexia - a wasting away due to not eating. Pot helps that. Glaucoma is helped by pot. Many conditions are helped by pot. But what really upsets me is the fact that growing a frikkin' plant can be illegal. Why? It's on this earth, let people grow the damned things if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies