Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Please, please, by all means stop your ignorance about cannabis right now. Get educated about it. Have you ever heard of Irvin Rosenfeld? I trust that you are totally clueless who that is.
I am educated about it, but thanks anyway. Yes, I know you are going to tell me how you have abused the drug for years, and therefore you know much more about it than the scientists do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Marijuana has been used for thousands of years for medicinal and recreational purposes. Those who argue against it now are either irrational or ignorant. Or maybe they have some religious stigma against it.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am educated about it, but thanks anyway. Yes, I know you are going to tell me how you have abused the drug for years, and therefore you know much more about it than the scientists do.
Have any links to the risks it causes?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Have any links to the risks it causes?
Sure. I posted one earlier, and I posted about 20-30 medical studies on the other thread when we discussed the same topic.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Cigarettes and alcohol are even worse to the human body. Yet there is no crusade in this country to ban those substances. Meanwhile, since you feel marijuana is so profoundly harmful to the human body, why did a former DEA judge say this, "Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man."
Absolutely, and a great point about cigarettes and alcohol.

Quote:
Alcohol directly affects brain chemistry by altering levels of neurotransmitters — the chemical messengers that transmit the signals throughout the body that control thought processes, behavior and emotion. Alcohol affects both “excitatory” neurotransmitters and “inhibitory” neurotransmitters...

An example of an inhibitory neurotransmitter is GABA, which reduces energy levels and calms everything down. Drugs like Xanax and Valium (and other benzodiazopenes) increase GABA production in the brain, resulting in sedation. Alcohol does the same thing by increasing the effects of GABA. This, by the way, is one reason you don’t want to drink alcohol while taking benzodiazopenes; the effects will be amplified, and that can slow your heart rate and respiratory system down to dangerous levels....

...the depressant effects of alcohol: it suppresses the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate and increases the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. What this means for you is that your thought, speech and movements are slowed down, and the more you drink the more of these effects you’ll feel (hence the stumbling around, falling over chairs and other clumsy things drunk people do)...

But here’s the twist: alcohol also increases the release of dopamine in your brain’s “reward center.” The reward center is the same combination of brain areas (particularly the ventral striatum) that are affected by virtually all pleasurable activity... By jacking up dopamine levels in your brain, alcohol tricks you into thinking that it’s actually making your feel great (or maybe just better, if you are drinking to get over something emotionally difficult). The effect is that you keep drinking to get more dopamine release, but at the same time you’re altering other brain chemicals that are enhancing feelings of depression.

Once a compulsive need to go back again and again for that release is established, addiction takes hold. The length of time it takes for this to happen is case-specific; some people have a genetic propensity for alcoholism and for them it will take very little time, while for others it may take several weeks or months. http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddis...to-your-brain/
And here's what alcohol does separately to each part of the brain:
What Alcohol Really Does to Your Brain - Forbes

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks
Cigarettes are filled with thousands of chemicals, while pot is not.

Cigarettes have absolutely zero medicinal benefits, while pot clearly does.

Cigarettes are highly addictive, while pot is not.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure. I posted one earlier, and I posted about 20-30 medical studies on the other thread when we discussed the same topic.
Read your links and didn't find anything substantial.

What do you think about drugs being used in a spiritual sense? That's a topic I haven't seen discussed in this thread.

What do you say to those people?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Read your links and didn't find anything substantial.
You reject scientific evidence, but embrace personal opinions

Quote:
What do you think about drugs being used in a spiritual sense? That's a topic I haven't seen discussed in this thread.
Discuss it if you wish. People do all kinds of things in spiritual rituals. The Mayans, and many others sacrificed people in such rituals.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Cigarettes are filled with thousands of chemicals, while pot is not.

Cigarettes have absolutely zero medicinal benefits, while pot clearly does.

Cigarettes are highly addictive, while pot is not.
The only way to keep damaging additives out of pot is to keep it illegal.

You know what happens when corporations get their despicable hands on things.

Organic pot would be outlawed the day of legalization.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
The only way to keep damaging additives out of pot is to keep it illegal.

You know what happens when corporations get their despicable hands on things.

Organic pot would be outlawed the day of legalization.
The only way to keep harmful chemicals out of pot is to leave people alone to grow it if they darn well feel like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies