Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Neither is getting drunk, but it hasn't stopped people from doing it.

Nope but that proves the point nicely. We don't need another legal drug. They're not good for society.

At least with marijuana illegal the penalties are high enough that they can act as a deterrent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Considering the opposite scientific evidence exists and you are spewing "Reefer Madness" style fear-mongering like a true fool.

You have right in free society to get/be as mind-altered as you would like as often as you want.

Once you cross the line and actually commit an offense against another person or property then you have crossed the line whether sober or altered.

You aren't smart enough to understand, live in your bubble of non-critical-thinking. You are easily, metaphorically smoked like a joint in the arena of thought.
LOL. No I've just seen the type of decisions people high on marijuana make. I've also watched a family member develop schizophrenia from marijuana use.

No, you don't have the right to be mind altered in society. If that's what you want, you need to leave society. Societal rules are for the benefit of society. We all give up some freedoms to live in society and have the protections provided by society. As I said earlier, I cannot drive 100 MPH on the freeway because I chose to live in a society and we've decided, as a society, that people driving that fast might be dangerous. We've also decided that living around people who are using drugs might be a problem. If you don't like society's rules, then leave society. Go make your own society full of high people.

Funny how people want the benefits of living in society but cry foul when society doesn't let them do as they please. The whole point of living in society is that we have rules that benefit the masses. Rules that are in place not for the individual but for society as a whole. We enforce them because they are good for society whether individuals like it or not. If you choose to smoke marijuana or I choose to drive 100MPH, we do so at our own risk. No one is lying to us and telling us there are no penalties for those choices. We know full well there are.

There are lots of rules in place I don't agree with but that doesn't give me the right to break them. I'd love to have a fire pit in my backyard but that's against city ordinance. My dog loves people and is well trained and I'd love to walk him off leash but I can't because that's against the law. I get a rush out of driving fast (used to race when I was younger) but I stick close to the speed limit because I know what the penalty is if I don't. You see society isn't about me and what I want. It's about what works best for society.

Do you really think your insults do anything to make your case? My experience is what when posters result to attacks like this it's because their argument is week. You say I'm not smart enough to understand? Could it be that you're not smart enough to explain it well? I haven't seen a good argument yet for the benefits to society of recreational drug use.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-13-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 AM

945 posts, read 967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
LOL. No I've just seen the type of decisions people high on marijuana make. I've also watched a family member develop schizophrenia from marijuana use.

No, you don't have the right to be mind altered in society. If that's what you want, you need to leave society. Societal rules are for the benefit of society. We all give up some freedoms to live in society and have the protections provided by society. As I said earlier, I cannot drive 100 MPH on the freeway because I chose to live in a society and we've decided, as a society, that people driving that fast might be dangerous. We've also decided that living around people who are using drugs might be a problem. If you don't like society's rules, then leave society. Go make your own society full of high people.

Funny how people want the benefits of living in society but cry foul when society doesn't let them do as they please. The whole point of living in society is that we have rules that benefit the masses. Rules that are in place not for the individual but for society as a whole. We enforce them because they are good for society whether individuals like it or not. If you choose to smoke marijuana or I choose to drive 100MPH, we do so at our own risk. No one is lying to us and telling us there are no penalties for those choices. We know full well there are.

There are lots of rules in place I don't agree with but that doesn't give me the right to break them. I'd love to have a fire pit in my backyard but that's against city ordinance. My dog loves people and is well trained and I'd love to walk him off leash but I can't because that's against the law. I get a rush out of driving fast (used to race when I was younger) but I stick close to the speed limit because I know what the penalty is if I don't. You see society isn't about me and what I want. It's about what works best for society.

Do you really think your insults do anything to make your case? My experience is what when posters result to attacks like this it's because their argument is week. You say I'm not smart enough to understand? Could it be that you're not smart enough to explain it well? I haven't seen a good argument yet for the benefits to society of recreational drug use.
Because of the prior comments I made. This is like teaching a dog to do differential equations.

If you can't see the difference between driving 100 MPH and smoking MJ then you have reaffirmed my judgment and this is, as I said; pointless.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:23 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Nope but that proves the point nicely. We don't need another legal drug. They're not good for society.

At least with marijuana illegal the penalties are high enough that they can act as a deterrent.

Uh, no. Ask any pothead if the law is in any way a deterrent. I say legalize it and tax the crap out of it.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:48 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I don't care if you eat it, just don't smoke it. I live in an apartment complex. It doesn't impact me unless you smoke it.My complex is smoke-free. Good anticipatory move, I'd say.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:

LOL. No I've just seen the type of decisions people high on marijuana make.
I've also watched a family member develop schizophrenia from marijuana use
You need to read up on Schizophrenia.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Perhaps because ciggy butts (cancer sticks, coffin nails, etc.) are made from adulterated tobacco (that is, tobacco mixed with various other stuff).
But, marijuana is just, well, marijuana. Usually not mixed with anything, not even tobacco.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Perhaps because ciggy butts (cancer sticks, coffin nails, etc.) are made from adulterated tobacco (that is, tobacco mixed with various other stuff).
But, marijuana is just, well, marijuana. Usually not mixed with anything, not even tobacco.
Exactly. One substance is heavily altered with all kinds of nasty toxins and poisons and allows for only the mega-corporations to profit from it's use. The other is entrepreneurial by nature.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM

945 posts, read 967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't care if you eat it, just don't smoke it. I live in an apartment complex. It doesn't impact me unless you smoke it.My complex is smoke-free. Good anticipatory move, I'd say.
Isn't that why you moved to a smoke-free apartment complex? If you don't live in a smoke-free apartment complex as dictated by the true owner(s) then you chose to live with smokers.

Since you made that a factor in your apartment decision you have properly used your rights to get the outcome you want. Bravo for have a shred of logic and reason.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Most people aren't smoking weed for a medical issue. The PTB look down on cigarettes and tolerate (if they don't outright promote) marijuana for the same reason everyone has an alcoholic drink in their hands. Those things are simply viewed as acceptable by some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies