Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think I can do without those!

I don't think I would like beer; don't like the smell.

I possibly would like wine but don't want to take the chance of being an alcoholic (many who say that can never happen to them later regret saying that).

I prefer vanilla Coke (yes, I know soft drinks are not exactly healthful drinks, but it's very nice knowing I can't be pulled over for drinking sodas).

Instead of the "pleasure" of consuming alcohol (or cigarettes or drugs), I enjoy pizza and chocolate.
I really don't think I'm missing much, if anything. A great many people are lifelong non-drinkers and still enjoy life.
You'll never know for sure if you would or not, given that you've never tasted them.

Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:50 AM

510 posts, read 370,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks
I forgot to say cannabis lowers blood pressure by widening blood vessels. while tobacco raises blood pressure by narrowing blood vessels. There doesn't seem to be evidence that cannabis causes COPD or emphysema in those who've never smoked tobacco. Cannabis can rarely cause a temporary low lung function, like only normal breathing is possible. This would likely require extreme amounts of the THC smoke. Search You Tube video world's record hotbox session and it should come up. It's the one where there are many people in room, concentrates frying in pans, almost no visibility, oxygen can passed around.

Of course the above required burning up maybe $10,000 worth of *concentrates* in an hour. Of course very little oxygen is technically not the same as proving pot/THC a poison. Best wishes.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:35 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
You'll never know for sure if you would or not, given that you've never tasted them.

Do you agree?
Agreed but they still have no appeal for me.

I may also enjoy skydiving and trekking to the North Pole, but I think I'll pass on those, too!

Old 01-11-2018, 06:38 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Because you don't smoke pot 20 times a day or more, unless you have a problem.
"Because you don't smoke pot 20 times a day or more"

That is NOT the claim anti-smokers made when they were arguing AGAINST smoking.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Wow. Just wow. Millions of users, daily, 50 years, not one case, yet you cling to your sad belief. It is the longest long-term study we've ever had! You are just COMPLETELY closed-minded..
So, no one who ever smoked pot ever got cancer? Of course many did, but there has not been a 50 year study to look into the relation of cannabis and cancer to conclude pot caused the cancer. The other poster was correct in his comment about what lack of evidence means, and does not mean.

Edit: Well, looks like someone provided a link to a study which shows pot is even more likely to cause cancer than cigs.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Cause pot addicts and people making money of pot addicts are pushing (pun intended) for it to be cool. So they can feed their addiction and get pockets lined.
It is the flavor of the next movement

Old 01-11-2018, 07:41 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, no one who ever smoked pot ever got cancer? Of course many did, but there has not been a 50 year study to look into the relation of cannabis and cancer to conclude pot caused the cancer. The other poster was correct in his comment about what lack of evidence means, and does not mean.

Edit: Well, looks like someone provided a link to a study which shows pot is even more likely to cause cancer than cigs.
I see you pick and choose your studies. Not surprising. Like the OP, you are not posting here to learn anything about this subject.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/

Quote:
Quote:
In conclusion, while both tobacco and cannabis smoke have similar properties chemically, their pharmacological activities differ greatly. Components of cannabis smoke minimize some carcinogenic pathways whereas tobacco smoke enhances some. Both types of smoke contain carcinogens and particulate matter that promotes inflammatory immune responses that may enhance the carcinogenic effects of the smoke. However, cannabis typically down-regulates immunologically-generated free radical production by promoting a Th2 immune cytokine profile. Furthermore, THC inhibits the enzyme necessary to activate some of the carcinogens found in smoke. In contrast, tobacco smoke increases the likelihood of carcinogenesis by overcoming normal cellular checkpoint protective mechanisms through the activity of respiratory epithelial cell nicotine receptors. Cannabinoids receptors have not been reported in respiratory epithelial cells (in skin they prevent cancer), and hence the DNA damage checkpoint mechanism should remain intact after prolonged cannabis exposure. Furthermore, nicotine promotes tumor angiogenesis whereas cannabis inhibits it. It is possible that as the cannabis-consuming population ages, the long-term consequences of smoking cannabis may become more similar to what is observed with tobacco. However, current knowledge does not suggest that cannabis smoke will have a carcinogenic potential comparable to that resulting from exposure to tobacco.
HOW MUCH EVIDENCE DO YOU NEED? Finn, you are simply closed minded on this issue, and no matter how many people try to educate you , it will never happen.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks
No weed doesn't cause those things to happen. As a matte of fact it is used to combat lack of hunger when on chemo. It can be eaten also.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:53 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
When you sound like you are hacking up a lung, it can't be that good for your lungs...just saying.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
I have friends in legal marijuana states, and none of them regularly inhale burning material into their lungs. And they mostly consume edibles or vape. People without access to legal marijuana, are more likely to smoke buds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies