Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times

Advertisements

But we have to know what Brittany is wearing today. Stick to what is really important! If I don't wear what Brittany is wearing (or drinking or snifffing) I will be shunned by all my friends.

Exagerated, but not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,491,124 times
Maybe because some of us realize that every single conversation doesn't have to be about world events.
I have a couple friends that can take a weather discussion and turn it into a political debate.
It gets really old.
I don't know why I continue to hang out with THEM.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,718,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
Maybe because some of us realize that every single conversation doesn't have to be about world events.
I have a couple friends that can take a weather discussion and turn it into a political debate.
It gets really old.
I don't know why I continue to hang out with THEM.
How is caring about the world around you and the state of how the world run old? Thomas Jefferson said that if America wants to keep the liberties the forefathers fought for, it must have a revolution roughly ever 30 years. When was our last revolution? Oh wait, we haven't because the general population nowadays would rather read about Paris Hilton's crotch and haven't a clue who the current French President is...or if you hit even closer to home--name all the states and their capitals!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,258,561 times
There's an old saying that small minds discuss people, mediocre minds discuss events, and superior minds discuss ideas.

(I've often wondered where I fit in in that calculus, since I so often talk about what's for dinner. )

Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,233,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
How is caring about the world around you and the state of how the world run old? Thomas Jefferson said that if America wants to keep the liberties the forefathers fought for, it must have a revolution roughly ever 30 years. When was our last revolution? Oh wait, we haven't because the general population nowadays would rather read about Paris Hilton's crotch and haven't a clue who the current French President is...or if you hit even closer to home--name all the states and their capitals!
French President? I was relating a story the other day about John McCain's time as a prisoner of war and was asked "Who is John McCain"?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,491,124 times
Quote:
You missed the point......I said....not EVERY single conversation has to be about world news.
I know people that you can say, "Oh, I got a flat tire today..." and they turn the conversation around to where your flat tire is all Bush's fault."

Those are the people I avoid.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,258,561 times
Quote:
Okay, quick: Kentucky.

And no Googling!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,718,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
You missed the point......I said....not EVERY single conversation has to be about world news.
I know people that you can say, "Oh, I got a flat tire today..." and they turn the conversation around to where your flat tire is all Bush's fault."

Those are the people I avoid.
Fair enough, those people are not worldy but are simply bitter glass-half-empty people.

However, there is still a great amount of ignorance and apathy that is undeniable among the American people. It never hurts to stimulate our minds, think of possibilities beyond what is known to us, and question everything we are told. Unfortunatley, this is not the case with America. No, instead, the soccer moms just want to get their nails done and go shopping at Neiman Marcus

Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,148,500 times
How many of our children actually watch any educational programming? Or on average, how many americans watch History, DIscovery, or National Geographic channels?

Americans feed on "bad" news, because is sensational, especially if "they" are not involved. Media will give you what you want, supply on demand.
How many of americans actually demand "good" news, "happy" news? This doesn't fly, so, we're stuck with bad and the ugly. We simply have no choice but to accept what's given to us. However, if you quit watching "media" supply, get out and see world for yourself, you might be surprised to find out that there is actually life out there, and quiet different at that!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,436,707 times
Warnings of a Fiscal ‘Tsunami’ | Newsweek Business | Newsweek.com

this is a good example. you may disagree with some of his opinions and numbers, but many people wont even DISCUSS IT!!!

what are they going to do when the crisis actually happens? blame everyone but themself? "well, no one told ME!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies