Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
So what are you trying to say? Vote for Romney? No thank you. I don't care whether he believes in the Book of Mormon or in flying pigs. He's too similar to what we have now.
The article talks about, that when presidents appointed members of the Church to powerful positions or when Lyndon Johnson landed at Salt Lake just to visit the church president, they were not criticised. If Romney landed Air Force One at Salt Lake to see the Church President, he would be criticised for it.

Conclusion: More people complain and nag about things today then they used too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 06:06 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Clinton and W had LSD ties....

Old 11-01-2007, 06:07 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't knowv about those LDS ties---but here in California, many people (particularly around the Bay Area) definitely had LSD ties !.....
How dare you accuse San Franciscans of such a thing?? We're too innocent and conservative for DRUGS!!

As for the presidents, I don't really care what religious ties they have... as long as it doesn't interfere with their ability to run our country, without any religious influence (or as little as possible).

Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I use to have mormon ties too.. until i told them I was a homo.. and they kicked me out and took away my priesthood.. and told all my childhood friends to not associate with me... quality doctrine... very christlike....gotta hand it to em...
Let's get somethings straight(no pun intended)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not dictate to its members whom they should be friends with-period. If your friends were told that by misguided local leaders then they should take it up with Salt Lake City.

Also,
Its a question of chastity(or virtue) above all else-straight or gay. The doctrine of the Church is that the revelation received to man through the prophets from the time of Adam down through these latter days indicates that the only acceptable type of sexual act is between a man and his wife-they must be married. A gay person who acts on his sexual desires has sinned against the laws of god in the same manner as a straight person who has had committed any sex acts outside of marriage.

In an interview given by President Gordon B Hinckley to The San Francisco Chronicle in 1997, he said on this issue,

"We take no action against such people -- provided they don't become involved in transgression, sexual transgression. If they do, we do with them exactly what we'd do with heterosexuals who transgress.

We have a very strong moral teaching concerning abstinence before marriage and total fidelity following marriage. And, regardless of whether they're heterosexuals or otherwise, if they step over that line there are certain sanctions, certain penalties that are imposed. "

In other words, if your not married, you must be celibate-gay or straight. The church's stand on this issue is a bit more academic then most would understand it to be.

Because The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believes that revelation from God to man continues today, there is a window of hope there for the future-albeit very small and even unlikely all things considered.

But its what I personally hold on to. Hope that someday things will change. Being what I am feels so natural to me that it doesnt matter what anyone says-I feel like the Lord understands me totally. It has to explain why I am the way I am. I dont feel evil and I dont feel dirty but at the same time, my conviction of the gospel remains unwavered.

So here I remain, between a rock and a hard place-with all this pent up "steam". LOL

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I wonder if there is any difference between LSD and LDS? Both are hallucinogenic in effect although one is a real chemical and the other an unreal belief.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder if there is any difference between LSD and LDS? Both are hallucinogenic in effect although one is a real chemical and the other an unreal belief.
Acronymically analogous to the DNC and a D&C...

Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Let's get somethings straight(no pun intended)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not dictate to its members whom they should be friends with-period. If your friends were told that by misguided local leaders then they should take it up with Salt Lake City.

Also,
Its a question of chastity(or virtue) above all else-straight or gay. The doctrine of the Church is that the revelation received to man through the prophets from the time of Adam down through these latter days indicates that the only acceptable type of sexual act is between a man and his wife-they must be married. A gay person who acts on his sexual desires has sinned against the laws of god in the same manner as a straight person who has had committed any sex acts outside of marriage.

In an interview given by President Gordon B Hinckley to The San Francisco Chronicle in 1997, he said on this issue,

"We take no action against such people -- provided they don't become involved in transgression, sexual transgression. If they do, we do with them exactly what we'd do with heterosexuals who transgress.

We have a very strong moral teaching concerning abstinence before marriage and total fidelity following marriage. And, regardless of whether they're heterosexuals or otherwise, if they step over that line there are certain sanctions, certain penalties that are imposed. "

In other words, if your not married, you must be celibate-gay or straight. The church's stand on this issue is a bit more academic then most would understand it to be.

Because The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believes that revelation from God to man continues today, there is a window of hope there for the future-albeit very small and even unlikely all things considered.

But its what I personally hold on to. Hope that someday things will change. Being what I am feels so natural to me that it doesnt matter what anyone says-I feel like the Lord understands me totally. It has to explain why I am the way I am. I dont feel evil and I dont feel dirty but at the same time, my conviction of the gospel remains unwavered.

So here I remain, between a rock and a hard place-with all this pent up "steam". LOL

Anyway, my 2 cents.
well my family is mormon... I so know it all too well.. and I know that everything that is "said" in salt lake.. is not what actually happens down the ranks of the church... Church headquarters officials are merely Public Relations officials when it comes to misdealings that happen.... telling me what Salt Lake says about it all.. doesn't take away what happened to me.. in the name of god and jesus....its wrong... I'm sorry

Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
well my family is mormon... I so know it all too well.. and I know that everything that is "said" in salt lake.. is not what actually happens down the ranks of the church... Church headquarters officials are merely Public Relations officials when it comes to misdealings that happen.... telling me what Salt Lake says about it all.. doesn't take away what happened to me.. in the name of god and jesus....its wrong... I'm sorry
And its highly unfortunate that you feel that way.

Its often said of members that the church in its organization and doctrine is perfect-the members however, are not.

Sometimes words seem hollow compared to the grief and sorrow we feel. In such times when it seems that all is lost, it is then, that counseling with the Lord through prayer perhaps will provide the only comfort and solace.

I myself have been on a very tricky road as well. My family, well many of them, avoid me like the plague, othes embrace and encourage me, other dont know what to say, while others downright gossip about me.

I dont blame anyone. This has fractured many a family relationship not only with members but people of most faiths. I cant expect everyone to just pretend as if it doesnt affect them too.

What I tell myself is that there's a greater purpose for everything. I can either give up and let the haters win, or endure to the end. I've definitely stumbled, but for the most part, Im giving Satan a run for his money.

No offense intended-please take none.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And its highly unfortunate that you feel that way.

Its often said of members that the church in its organization and doctrine is perfect-the members however, are not.

Sometimes words seem hollow compared to the grief and sorrow we feel. In such times when it seems that all is lost, it is then, that counseling with the Lord through prayer perhaps will provide the only comfort and solace.

I myself have been on a very tricky road as well. My family, well many of them, avoid me like the plague, othes embrace and encourage me, other dont know what to say, while others downright gossip about me.

I dont blame anyone. This has fractured many a family relationship not only with members but people of most faiths. I cant expect everyone to just pretend as if it doesnt affect them too.

What I tell myself is that there's a greater purpose for everything. I can either give up and let the haters win, or endure to the end. I've definitely stumbled, but for the most part, Im giving Satan a run for his money.

No offense intended-please take none.
none taken.. I can sympathize with you then...
but its different having people gossip about you.. and having a bishop and stake president tell you you're not allowed to church activities..

Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
none taken.. I can sympathize with you then...
but its different having people gossip about you.. and having a bishop and stake president tell you you're not allowed to church activities..
Well,
I honestly hope things get better for you and you have a resolution that gives you peace-time does wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies