Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We seem to have had a string of embarrassing VPs lately. Beginning with Dan Quayle, then Al Gore, and now Joe Biden. Of the three, Biden is definitely the most embarrassing to date.

Somehow, you missed mentioning the most embarrassing and despicable VP in US history: Chicken Dick Cheney. Just an oversight, probably. With less than 3 shots, he was able to shoot his partner while missing the pheasant.

He loves wars that other guys have to fight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Somehow, you missed mentioning the most embarrassing and despicable VP in US history: Chicken Dick Cheney. Just an oversight, probably. With less than 3 shots, he was able to shoot his partner while missing the pheasant.

He loves wars that other guys have to fight.

True, but his partner was a lawyer. So Cheney gets a pass.

FYI: They were hunting quail.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
This won't ever end. It's been an issue for as long as we've had guns, cities, and the boonies.

The bigger question is, why do the cities allow the boonies to keep winning when even the suburbs don't want these high capacity clips? Oh yeah, lobbyists...
It's called votes. The real power of the NRA is their ability to communicate to voters as to how the candidates stand on the issues. Now pull up a map of the US and look at all those rural states with 2 senators. Figured out yet why they are powerful?

The NRA's annual political contributions are around $20million a year. Not exactly huge money. Roughly comparable to a group like the NEA.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Biden reccommends a double barrelled shotgun, which means only two shots. The third shot would be just a click.

BTW did the interviewer ask what happens if there are 3 or 4 attackers in Biden's world?
Always with those multiple attackers running in packs.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Different tools for different tasks.

If you are going pheasant, duck, or goose hunting, a shot gun makes perfect sense. With regard to hunting migratory birds (like ducks and geese) most States already require no more than three rounds can be in the shotgun or rifle.

When hunting deer, moose, elk, or caribou, shotguns are not the ideal tool. The firearm of choice would be those that can deliver at least 2,000 foot pounds of energy at the target at whatever range they are shooting. For example, a .3006 would be adequate if the critter were within 150 yards. If the critter is 200 yards away, then a 300 Win. Mag. would be a more suitable choice.

Personally, when I go hunting grouse or ptarmigan I carry three weapons. A Remington 870 with a 28" barrel and modified choke and loaded with 6-shot. A Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" rifled barrel and loaded with seven .65 caliber sabot slugs. And a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag revolver with a 7.5" barrel loaded with silver-tipped hollow points and hand loaded 110% above red-line (you cannot fire these rounds through just any .44, only the Grizzly AutoMag and the Ruger can handle the chamber pressure). I hunt with my Remington, protect myself with my Mossberg, and carry a back-up revolver just in case I am unable to get to my Mossberg in time.
Since you are in that much danger out in the woods just what is it you are afraid of getting you.? I have never seen or heard of a bird hunter carrying such an arsenal.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM

340 posts, read 495,939 times
What does a 30 round mag and hitting a deer with 3 shots have to do with each other? They are not mutually exclusive.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Since you are in that much danger out in the woods just what is it you are afraid of getting you.? I have never seen or heard of a bird hunter carrying such an arsenal.
Contrary to popular belief, humans are not the biggest baddest critter in the forest. Without our tools (firearms) we would be prey, not on top of the food chain.

In Alaska the biggest threat is surprising a brown bear or grizzly bear. The next biggest threat is being attacked by a moose. It happens with surprising regularity in Alaska. Spring in particular is typically marked by a bear mauling or a moose stomping or two.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post
What does a 30 round mag and hitting a deer with 3 shots have to do with each other? They are not mutually exclusive.
Personally, I don't even hunt game animals with my AR. I do use it for varmints, uzually with a 20 rounder. Holds exactly one box. I have never sprayed bullets at a coyote either. The gun is very accurate and effective on yotes all the way out to 300 yards, dropping them with one shot.

Our high cap mags, 30 rounders, we use for competition purposes. Tactical rifle and 3 gun. I don't have any mags under 20rounds, but that doesnt mean we spray and pray. For deer and up bolt action heavy 30s (ala 30 06) get the nod. 3 round integral magazines. Bringing hi cap mags up in a big game context is non sensical. There are bullet size and weight standardz for big game and ammo capacity in all states I have ever hunted in. Generally, 4 round limit, with the caliber cutoff at 6mm(.243).

Hi cap mags are used for competition and personal defense, where such equipment is suitable. Inside the house I rely, mostly, on my 12 ga 18.5" Mossberg. Since I live with a lot of space around me, if I were to have to engage hostile intruders outside, my AR is on the list. However, I would not feel naked with a good 357handgun either.

At any rate, we have definate uses for 30 round mags. And none of them criminal. I also feel this is true of most folks who own these types of weapons. The mag capcity hang up is silly.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I'm thinking ol' Crazy Joe didn't pay attention in history class. The 2nd amendment isn't frickin' about hunting!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM

361 posts, read 385,803 times
Versatile,

Here in Connecticut the legislature is crafting gun laws to limit, inter alia, magazine capacity. The proponents of the magazine ban claim those opposed to such limits are paranoid as fear of "multiple attackers" is nonsense.

Yet, in 2009 the Governor's son was convicted of armed robbery. The son and two accomplices, armed with dangerous weapons, went to a person's house to rob him. The victim defended himself with a rifle.

The Governor has made it clear he wants to decide what is in my best interests. While I agree that we don't live in anarchy I would prefer to decide how to protect my family............ I could be more snarky but I'll let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies