Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,565,425 times

Advertisements

The bill is aimed at U.S. government workers who are seriously delinquent in their federal taxes, but would exempt those trying to work out their problems with the IRS. the bill would apply to "people who are just totally ignoring the law and ... not living up to their obligation, not paying their federal taxes

The vote was 263-116 to send the bill to the Senate. Democrats opposed the bill, which now moves to the full House. D.C. congressional delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) said the legislation holds “federal employees up for special targeting.” Added Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.): “If they are fired we lose the ability to collect on the debt.”

I don't know about any other tax payers but if I didn't pay my taxes I would be a target. So Federal workers don't pay their taxes and Democrats cry unfair??! So non-federal workers can now just not pay and run to democrats who will defend us saying we are being targeted!

Federal Employees Could Be Fired For Tax Delinquency Under New House Bill

House panel moves to fire tax delinquent feds

Last edited by petch751; 03-20-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,565,425 times
Federal workers owe $3.5 billion in back taxes; Expect renewal of legislative efforts to fire federally-employed tax debtors.

Internal Revenue Service data show that 3 percent of Senate staffers and more than 4 percent of House staffers owed taxes in 2010, adding up to about $10.6 million in unpaid taxes. More than 98,000 civilian federal employees were delinquent on their taxes in 2010, adding up to more than $1 billion in taxes owed, according to the IRS.

That $3.5 billion owed wouldn’t make much of a dent in the $16 trillion federal debt so would you not paying make that much of a difference.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-up-11-5-.html

Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,133,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The bill is aimed at U.S. government workers who are seriously delinquent in their federal taxes, but would exempt those trying to work out their problems with the IRS. the bill would apply to "people who are just totally ignoring the law and ... not living up to their obligation, not paying their federal taxes

The vote was 263-116 to send the bill to the Senate. Democrats opposed the bill, which now moves to the full House. D.C. congressional delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) said the legislation holds “federal employees up for special targeting.” Added Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.): “If they are fired we lose the ability to collect on the debt.”

I don't know about any other tax payers but if I didn't pay my taxes I would be a target. So Federal workers don't pay their taxes and Democrats cry unfair??! So non-federal workers can now just not pay and run to democrats who will defend us saying we are being targeted!

Federal Employees Could Be Fired For Tax Delinquency Under New House Bill

House panel moves to fire tax delinquent feds

I wonder how many of those that are delinquent are politicians?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM

79,900 posts, read 43,863,085 times
We should fire those who are responsible for collecting these taxes. They are as much responsible for these taxes not getting collected as anyone.

It should be extremely easy to attach the wages of government employee's who owe back taxes. The IRS doesn't even have to get a judgement against you.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,133,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We should fire those who are responsible for collecting these taxes. They are as much responsible for these taxes not getting collected as anyone.

It should be extremely easy to attach the wages of government employee's who owe back taxes. The IRS doesn't even have to get a judgement against you.

it should be very easy to start deducting unpaid back taxes from their paychecks too. if they dont like it, then they can always quit their jobs.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,497,601 times
Why aren't these people being prosecuted with the existing laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies