Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times

Advertisements

While there may be other sources for this number this is the one I found:

Food Stamps Hit Record High In June 2012

The working poor are eligible for food stamps.

So are those who rely on Social Security. Beginning in 2011, 10,000 people a day turn 65 and will continue to do so for the next 20 years. Regardless of economic recovery, a substantial portion of people will continue to qualify for Snap benefits, going forward.

The average benefit is $1.50 per meal, per person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
It's ok to dig on liberals, we expect that.

I wished you'd provide another statistic, like, how many of those people voted for republicans and how many voted for democrats.

Because my spouse's hours were cut where she works {a nursing facility} and because her hours are always shortened because of a low census population in the nursing facility, we as a couple are eligible for exactly $21.00 in EBT benefits, but we chose not to accept that benefit. Our landlord also recently raised our rent by $35.00 a month, and my spouse hasn't had a wage increase since 2011, and when she did in 2011, it was 1%.

We are both liberals. We both vote for the democratic party. We will vote for the D party again too, because we know how bad things really were and could be under republican rule. The R party is the absolute worst of the two evils.
why don'tyou tell us where to find such statistics, seeing that this is something you're so interested in?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,805 times
Food stamps are paid out of the Farm Bill
Farm subsidies are paid out of the Farm Bill.

Every farmer receiving any govt subsidy has their name, address, and $$$$$$$ amount made public.

Why isn't the same standard applied to food stamp recipients ?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I am guessing the OP thinks people who can't buy food should just be hungry. I'm very glad to live in a country (America) where we do not allow our citizens to starve.
What if some of the people that live like this abuse the program, purposely have "no money" or a crappy job because they like to work jobs on the side to make money and not report the income.

Work crappy job, get some pay, get foodstamps to survive.

Work side jobs like buying and flipping cars, under the table work, etc... make money doing that and live a more comfortable life then having a crappy job and working 40 hours a week supporting yourself.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In December 2012, as many as 47,782,000 Americans received food stamps.
Even during the financial crisis in 2008, the figure was only 28,223,000 on average.

At least I think we should change the culture a little bit. The media should tell people it is a shame for adults to live on food stamps. Hollywood should make a movie to accuse such individuals of damaging US economy and culture.
Well, I know they are mostly liberal so....
conservatives continue to attack their mortal enemy poor children, the elderly, and families with a disabled person.

76% of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83% of all SNAP benefits. [i]
SNAP eligibility is limited to households with gross income of no more than 130% of the federal poverty guideline, but the majority of SNAP households have income well below the maximum: 83.4% of SNAP households have gross income at or below 100% of the poverty guideline ($19,090 for a family of three in 2012), and 61% of SNAP households have gross income at or below 75% of the poverty guideline ($14,318 for a family of three in 2012). [ii]
The average SNAP household has a gross monthly income of $744, net monthly income of $338, and countable resources of $331. [iii]

SNAP benefits don’t last most participants the whole month. 90% of SNAP benefits are redeemed by the third week of the month, and 58% of food bank clients currently receiving SNAP benefits turn to food banks for assistance at least 6 months out of the year. [xiii]
The average monthly SNAP benefit per person is $133.85, or less than $1.50 per person, per meal. [xiv]
Only 55% of food insecure individuals are income-eligible for SNAP, and 29% are not income-eligible for any federal food assistance.

conservatives hold despicable positions on most issues, but the obsession with depriving children, the elderly, and the disabled food is truly pathetic.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Even during the financial crisis in 2008, the figure was only 28,223,000 on average.

At least I think we should change the culture a little bit. The media should tell people it is a shame for adults to live on food stamps. Hollywood should make a movie to accuse such individuals of damaging US economy and culture.
conservatives continue to ignore statistical reality of the people who receive food stamps. conservatives continue to pretend that most food stamp recipients are able bodied adults.

conservatives are liars, but when you want to deprive children, the elderly and families with a disabled person, they have no choice to ignore reality.

SNAP already has strict time-limits for unemployed workers. Able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs) may only receive 3 months of SNAP benefits during any 3 year period, unless they are working in a qualifying job training program.
About two-thirds of SNAP participants are children, elderly, or disabled, people for whom work requirements do not apply. Of all adult, nonelderly participants, 27.7% are employed and 24.5% are actively looking for work. [xviii]
The SNAP benefit formula is structured to provide a strong work incentive – for every additional dollar a SNAP participant earns, their benefits decline by about 24 to 36 cents, not a full dollar, so participants have a strong incentive to find work, work longer hours, or seek better-paying employment.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
What if some of the people that live like this abuse the program, purposely have "no money" or a crappy job because they like to work jobs on the side to make money and not report the income.

Work crappy job, get some pay, get foodstamps to survive.

Work side jobs like buying and flipping cars, under the table work, etc... make money doing that and live a more comfortable life then having a crappy job and working 40 hours a week supporting yourself.
Most people on food stamps are NOT the scenario you describe. You may want to think that is the case, but most people on this program are working parents or unemployed individuals.

I wouldn't care if 9 out of 10 people really were scamming this system and only 1 person was using it legitimately. I would still support our food stamp system because not even one person in this country should be hungry.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Most people on food stamps are NOT the scenario you describe. You may want to think that is the case, but most people on this program are working parents or unemployed individuals.

I wouldn't care if 9 out of 10 people really were scamming this system and only 1 person was using it legitimately. I would still support our food stamp system because not even one person in this country should be hungry.
conservatives hate poor people. They are certain that poor people are lazy, immoral and are cheating the system.

conservatives consistently ignore statistics about poverty. They completely ignore them.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why don'tyou tell us where to find such statistics, seeing that this is something you're so interested in?
I don't know, maybe you do.

Maybe the OP can deliver an answer to my question.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
Quote:

Sure, great idea. Let's completely ignore the fact that corporations are paying so little, that they will happily be dependent on the government to supplement incomes.

You do know that's what is happening, don't you?

It's most certainly happening in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies