Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times

Advertisements

Apparently you are a "conspiracy theorist" now if you believe that the increase is due to anything other than "more awareness". In the previous thread on this subject I posted all of the changes in diagnoses criteria, awareness programs and showed that they have essentially zero effect on autism, which is rising exponentially. Is some of the increase attributed to more awareness? Sure, but certainly not all of it, and not even a significant number that would have been reflected in the diagnosis changes. And like others have pointed out, there has been a contemporaneous increase in other diseases (diabetes, obesity, asthma). So why must autism be so different? Clearly, there is no debate that the other diseases are increasing. Autism has become political for some reason. So if people want to label me as a "CT" because I think it's actually rising, then I would rather be thought a CT than be an actual fool.

As for the reason, there are plenty of theories. I think it is probably food, environment or vaccine-related, or a combination thereof. Older fathers? I doubt it, I think fathers are probably younger these days. Older mothers? Perhaps, but, in my experience, plenty of younger mothers are having autistic kids. I do think that, whatever is causing the increase in auto-immune disease, is also causing the increase in autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Autism is genetic. pure and simple

are a vaccination, or even a certain food a POSSIBLE TRIGGER, sure its possible, but it is entirely GENETIC otherwise

=============
This makes no sense. You cannot have something that is "entirely genetic" but have an environmental trigger. Tay-sachs is entirely genetic; cystic fibrosis is entirely genetic; Down's is entirely genetic. Heart disease, cancer, diabetes all likely have genetic components that protect you up to a threshold, but are not entirely genetic. Autism likely has the same type of genetic threshold. There is an average threshold, some higher and some lower. So if we have a trigger that is increasing, the the number will increase as it overtakes the genetic threshold of more and more kids. Kids in families with a weaker threshold will be affected at a higher rate. But that doesn't make autism entirely genetic, it just makes autism the same as just about everything else.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
The older a woman gets the more likely the child will be autistic simply because her eggs have been sitting around that many years longer. Guess what? The average age of a woman's first child birth has been going up and up so, of course, autism has become more common. The other thing is there is now better detection so that children who previously would have just been labeled shy or anti-social are now correctly identified as autistic.

None of this has anything to do with the wild conspiracy theories wing nuts like to make up about autism.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The older a woman gets the more likely the child will be autistic simply because her eggs have been sitting around that many years longer. Guess what? The average age of a woman's first child birth has been going up and up so, of course, autism has become more common. The other thing is there is now better detection so that children who previously would have just been labeled shy or anti-social are now correctly identified as autistic.

None of this has anything to do with the wild conspiracy theories wing nuts like to make up about autism.
What makes you think your theory has any more credibility? It doesn't, you pulled that out of our ____.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
LOL!

Yep, the wild conspiracy theories are much better than fact based actual medical research.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Viruses can play genes like a piano.

Especially, the guided viruses.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Lots of articles on autism at natural news.
Autism news, articles and information:

Homeopathic approaches to Autism Spectrum Disorders
Four different approaches for preventing and healing vaccine injuries

well at least you won't have to worry about anthrax, if this vaccine is tested on children. It's all for the greater good.
Test of anthrax vaccine in children gets tentative OK | Reuters
Quote:
The idea of testing an anthrax vaccine in children arose when a 2011 war game, called Dark Zephyr, presented to policy makers a scenario in which terrorists released anthrax on a city modeled on San Francisco. Doctors did not know what dose of the vaccine to give children. That presented a dilemma: should children be vaccinated anyway, or should the government test the vaccine on them first to establish a safe dose?
not to worry
Under a 2005 law, children in an anthrax-vaccine study would be prohibited from seeking damages through the legal system. The presidential commission, said Gutmann, "strongly recommended that a plan be in place to compensate any children" who are harmed.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I was one of the ones saying that. It does seem to be the disorder of the decade. It seems like everywhere you look now, there is somebody saying their kid is autistic, and that just can't possibly be the reality of it, even if the real stat is 1 in 50. But I'm not discounting those who are truly affected by the disorder. I hope that clears up my intent.
I tend to think the same thing. It does seem like autism is everywhere these days. I'm just not sure I believe the 1 in 50 idea. That just seems too off.

Someone else did mention that we all have a few traits that fit into the autism spectrum. This does not mean that we all have autism.

Still, I wish we knew the cause.

And yes, you did clear that up for me. As long as you realize the disorder is real.
There are too many that don't.
And those were the ones I was addressing.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree.....
yanno, back in the 40's they did many nuclear tests in the US...and it always bothered me, b/c I remember a teacher telling us, and this is so true...nuclear waste spreads, lands on the ground, the cows eat that grass and we drink the milk and eat the meat....makes sense...and also, when I was growing us, you didn't hear of so much cancer in dogs....I'm going back 25 - 30 years.....was it b/c they were not aware of it, or b/c of something else. I dunno, something is a miss....again, if you walk into a children's hospital and become aware of all those kids with incurable diseases and cancers....something is definately a miss.
I'm going to add to this......

Hormones and chemicals they give to livestock to make them grow faster....
are there chemicals in formula, i.e. preservatives
all the pressure treated decks in America that are extremely toxic, loaded with chemicals to kill bugs...and make it last longer? When it rains that stuff is leaching into the ground
preservatives in foods, chemicals in foods, plus dyes
chemicals in water supply
as I explained in another thread, blacktop is extremely toxic and leaches into the ground with rain water
Concrete, loaded with chemicals....leaching into the ground
jet fuel exhaust...
all this has an effect...

I remember 20 - 25 years ago, a special on TV about the chemicals in artifical sweatner....chemicals in the silver fillings they put in our teeth and about young boys who were growing breasts due to all the hormones in livestock, including chickens....they never see the light of day, are on a conveyer belt from the time they are hatched and fed all kinds of chemicals....

oh and land fills.....plus all the factories which were along water ways in the U.S. dumping toxins into the rivers....??????? Chemicals they treat lakes with....

I mean, think about it.

Chemical in medications...
I mean the list goes on and on......all these things and more, have effects....

I hope when they do these studies they take all this into account....where the parents lived, what they were exposed to, what they ate, drank, and medications they took?

And maybe all those nuclear tests they did way back in the 40's had a horrendous effect? From our great-great grandparents...

I'm sorry, but chemicals do awful things, that we don't even yet know about, plus, there in the ground for a very very very long time

Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
A lot of kids that are diagnosed with ADD are really just suffering from a different ADD - Absence of Discipline Disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies