Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,609,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This makes sense, plus exposure to house hold cleaning products, laundry detergents etc.... I don't know anyone who has a "dirty" house, at least among my friends. Occasionally cluttered with kids stuff maybe, but people disinfect everything these days, including their dishes, and use antibacterial soap in the shower.
Yep. I don't doubt that what we are seeing to a large degree is simply over-reactive immune systems that have had no "training" on how to deal with normal bacteria, germs, etc.

The old maxim "all things in moderation" comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,174,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I wonder sometimes too, if the extreme food prohibitions now placed on pregnant women may be contributing in some way. Certainly we had far fewer peanut and other allergies, etc. prior to all of the prohibitions.
It's possible, at least with things like peanut and tree nut allergies. The goal was to to prevent in vitro exposure to protect them from potential allergens, and it may have had the opposite impact--made the kids more vulnerable. Who knows.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,054,287 times
It's probably because more women are having children very late, in their late 20s, even 30s. When I was growing up that was unheard of.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yep. I don't doubt that what we are seeing to a large degree is simply over-reactive immune systems that have had no "training" on how to deal with normal bacteria, germs, etc.

The old maxim "all things in moderation" comes to mind.
Our issues are food intolerances/autoimmune vs. allegies or autism, but we live out in the country and my children crawled in the dirt outside from the time they were babies. We have pets in the house. That said, my house has always been clean, but not "crazy clean." I have 5 boys--it can't be "crazy clean." How much is too much? That's the scary part--is any level of exposure to some of this stuff safe? I've bought antibacterial dishwashing detergent, our laundry whites are kept white and everything is always laundered, the house is always vacuumed, wiped down and mopped inside. I wonder if it's a toxic overload from all the chemicals we use combined rather than just any one thing--the combination of fewer germs to prime our immune systems and more chemicals that damage it. Who knows?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,106,540 times
I also think all the crap in fast food is an issue. Consumption has increased exponentially over the past couple of decades.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 AM

28,982 posts, read 14,317,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Autism has never been caused by bad parenting, although that was what they used to believe was the cause--frigid mothers. Now they know that's ridiculous.
I guess should have worded that different but didn't think someone would think I meant autism was caused by bad parenting. My bad parenting comment was to the later part of my sentence. And even then it was sort of in jest. Even great parents can have bad kids.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,106,540 times
Look at the "pink slime", delicious.
From Wiki:
Pink slime is the common name for a controversial beef product. The name used in the meat industry is lean finely textured beef (LFTB)[3] and boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT).[4] It is also known by the dysphemistic slang term soylent pink.[5][6][7][8] Pink Slime is a processed beef product that was originally used in pet food and cooking oil and later approved for public consumption.[9] In 2001, The United States approved the product for limited human consumption and it was used as a food additive to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as a filler at a ratio of usually no more than 25 percent of any product. The production process uses heat in centrifuges to separate the fat from the meat in beef trimmings.[10] The resulting product is exposed to ammonia gas or citric acid to kill bacteria.[10][11]

Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I guess should have worded that different but didn't think someone would think I meant autism was caused by bad parenting. My bad parenting comment was to the later part of my sentence. And even then it was sort of in jest. Even great parents can have bad kids.
I understand, but you'd be surprised at some of the stupid things people say and believe on this board. My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,054,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's probably because more women are having children very late, in their late 20s, even 30s. When I was growing up that was unheard of.
Looks like my guess was right:

Higher maternal age predicts risk of autism

Quote:
The researchers compared the risk of autism in different groups of material age (under 20, 24-29, 30-34, and 35+). They found that children of mothers older than 35 years had 30% increased risk for autism. Children of mothers under 20 had the lowest risk of developing autism. The association between advancing maternal age and risk for autism was stronger for male offspring and children diagnosed in more recent years.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,986,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You have GMO wheat and very little gluten is made in the US anymore.
The sad fact is that it's cheaper to import wheat gluten from China than to produce it here.

The bread you eat today is not the same bread you ate a mere 15-20 years ago.
no, you don't have GMO wheat.

there is none being sold in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies