Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,238,414 times

Advertisements

new BC Services Card is designed to make it easier for B.C. residents to access provincial government services. Most of us will be able to use just one card:
  • As a CareCard
  • As a driver’s licence
  • To access services that need a photo ID
Of course, nowadays staying safe includes keeping personal information secure. The BC Services Card takes advantage of modern card technology that provides better security features.

Plus, using ICBC's existing identity proofing and renewal processes will keep everyone’s personal information more secure and help prevent fraud like identity theft or misuse of government services.
The BC Services Card can be used as identification anywhere you currently present government-issued ID. It can also be used just like a CareCard to access health care services. Eventually, eligible B.C. residents can use it to access other provincial government services.

While you may use the card to access different services, your privacy is still protected. For example, a health care provider will not be able to see your driving record, while a police officer or ICBC employee will not have access to your health records.

While you may use your BC Services Card to access different services, your privacy is still protected. For example, a health care provider will not be able to see your driving record, while a police officer or ICBC employee will not have access to your health records.
Your personal information (i.e. the information printed on your card) is strictly collected for:
  • Enrolment in the Medical Services Plan
  • Application for a BC Services Card
  • Access to government programs using the BC Services Card
BC Services Card policies and procedures regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal information are governed by sections 26 (c) and 33 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

This means that personal information collected when applying for a BC Services Card will only be used to confirm your identity and eligibility when you choose to enrol for a service. Your personal information will only be disclosed to government services you have accessed with your card. Unless it's authorized by law, your records will not be shared across agencies providing services.

If you have any questions about the collection and use of your personal information, please contact:

Every BC Services Card has a chip embedded in it - similar to the ones used by credit and debit cards in Canada.
The chips do not store any personal information. The chips do contain a unique personal account number, a chip expiry date and unique internal keys that are used to prove the chip is genuine. It is almost impossible to duplicate the chip and it is locked when it is manufactured, meaning that it cannot be changed. This makes the BC Services Card very secure.
The chip must be tapped to be read; it cannot be read from a distance.

The systems developed to support the BC Services Card program also ensure that information is not inappropriately shared across the programs.
If your card is stolen, the chip can be de-activated to prevent someone else from using it.
In the future, the chip technology will allow you to access a service by tapping your card on a card reader. It will recognize your unique chip and validate your identity to the service provider. It's important to note that the card does not store any personal records like your health or driving record. Access to your records is protected by a passcode, similar to the Personal Identification Number (PIN) you use with your bank card.

source: BC Services Card - Government ID - Province of B.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,629,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
new BC Services Card is designed to make it easier for B.C. residents to access provincial government services. Most of us will be able to use just one card:
  • As a CareCard
  • As a driver’s licence
  • To access services that need a photo ID
Of course, nowadays staying safe includes keeping personal information secure. The BC Services Card takes advantage of modern card technology that provides better security features.

Plus, using ICBC's existing identity proofing and renewal processes will keep everyone’s personal information more secure and help prevent fraud like identity theft or misuse of government services.
The BC Services Card can be used as identification anywhere you currently present government-issued ID. It can also be used just like a CareCard to access health care services. Eventually, eligible B.C. residents can use it to access other provincial government services.

While you may use the card to access different services, your privacy is still protected. For example, a health care provider will not be able to see your driving record, while a police officer or ICBC employee will not have access to your health records.

While you may use your BC Services Card to access different services, your privacy is still protected. For example, a health care provider will not be able to see your driving record, while a police officer or ICBC employee will not have access to your health records.
Your personal information (i.e. the information printed on your card) is strictly collected for:
  • Enrolment in the Medical Services Plan
  • Application for a BC Services Card
  • Access to government programs using the BC Services Card
BC Services Card policies and procedures regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal information are governed by sections 26 (c) and 33 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

This means that personal information collected when applying for a BC Services Card will only be used to confirm your identity and eligibility when you choose to enrol for a service. Your personal information will only be disclosed to government services you have accessed with your card. Unless it's authorized by law, your records will not be shared across agencies providing services.

If you have any questions about the collection and use of your personal information, please contact:

Every BC Services Card has a chip embedded in it - similar to the ones used by credit and debit cards in Canada.
The chips do not store any personal information. The chips do contain a unique personal account number, a chip expiry date and unique internal keys that are used to prove the chip is genuine. It is almost impossible to duplicate the chip and it is locked when it is manufactured, meaning that it cannot be changed. This makes the BC Services Card very secure.
The chip must be tapped to be read; it cannot be read from a distance.

The systems developed to support the BC Services Card program also ensure that information is not inappropriately shared across the programs.
If your card is stolen, the chip can be de-activated to prevent someone else from using it.
In the future, the chip technology will allow you to access a service by tapping your card on a card reader. It will recognize your unique chip and validate your identity to the service provider. It's important to note that the card does not store any personal records like your health or driving record. Access to your records is protected by a passcode, similar to the Personal Identification Number (PIN) you use with your bank card.

source: BC Services Card - Government ID - Province of B.C.
Does it have your photo on it, because otherwise, what if it fell into someone else's hands?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
look at teh link its basically like our drivers license are here.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
works for me

I like the idea

mine looks like this

btw...many credit cards have the CAC chip too

btw...everyone who has a cell pone has a cac card also

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,629,169 times
I don't think I trust any government to keep my personal information secure. I just assume it's not.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,431,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
works for me

I like the idea

mine looks like this

btw...many credit cards have the CAC chip too

btw...everyone who has a cell pone has a cac card also

We've had the chip feature on credit cards up here for years now and the swipe feature has become the exception now, rather than the norm. Card readers have switched over to the insert type up here by droves whereas it's still swipe the magnetic stripe below the 49th for most things.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We've had the chip feature on credit cards up here for years now and the swipe feature has become the exception now, rather than the norm. Card readers have switched over to the insert type up here by droves whereas it's still swipe the magnetic stripe below the 49th for most things.
yep.

I love it....very secure

I need my ID/CAC to login to my computer

everything I sign is CAC (digitly) signed using my cac card

Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Sounds ripe for a few whacks with a sledgehammer on the garage floor.
Go ahead and call me paranoid but they can just input my name or ss at their computers and bring up the same info. I don't need or want that on a card.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't think I trust any government to keep my personal information secure. I just assume it's not.

wow, we do agree on some things.

if the government has any of your personal information, it is surely not secure, no matter what we say.

repped you too elle.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yet in other threads you want the government to keep my personal information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies