Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
gomexico[/b];28840313]

You're a freeloader, You're a danger to others on the road.

You and almost all of those you cite are abusing the system. Stop it.

''He who hath not sinned, cast the first stone.''

Wow, talk about hypocrisy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Well, since the doctors have to sign off on the tag request, they must be in cahoots, too, eh?

I and five people I know have handicapped hang tags. Mine is for moderate (trending toward severe) arthritis in my hip, and arthritis in the same side knee. My mom? Over 70, legally blind, and with lung damage due to an autoimmune disorder that nearly killed her in 2000-2001. My sister - aggressive rheumatoid arthritis, which requires her to use a wheelchair on a frequent basis. My 89 year old father in law, who has severe hip and knee arthritis. A former neighbor, who is recovering from bladder cancer, has fibromyalgia, and walks with a walker. Oh, and her husband is recovering from another kind of cancer, I forget what.

These are the only people I know with tags. Which ones are lying?
I don't doubt that there are abuses - that people are using those tags who shouldn't be, perhaps borrowing them from family members who have them because they do need them - but I would imagine (at least, I would hope) that those who are abusing the system are few and far between and I'm content with the system as it is - that despite the abusers, the handicap spots are there for the use of those people who need them and whoever has a tag has the right to park there.

My biggest concern about those who are potentially using someone else's tag is that they are then taking those spots from those who do need them.

My feeling is that anybody who has a tag that their doctor signed off for needs those spots. And, again, just because someone doesn't look handicapped doesn't mean they aren't.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
From the sounds of it, 3/4 of a parking lot should be 'set aside' for those with handicapped tags.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
''He who hath not sinned, cast the first stone.''

Wow, talk about hypocrisy!
Yeah, right? I'm also trying to figure out how getting a permit to park in a designated space is "freeloading". It's not like they pay you to park there!

Old 12-26-2015, 09:17 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Hate to tell you but many times family members use a family members tag. Reason I am aware of this is in my area police check parking lots of businesses and when they see vehicles in these spaces they run the plates. You know when an officer gets out of his vehicle someone has been caught. Do get irritated when there's a high amount of parking spaces for handicapped people that the Fed's say are needed as you don't often see them filled. Handicap includes just about anything now. What's the corker is the expense companies have had to put Braille on the drive thru windows at banks! What will they think of nexts? By the way folks I have seen many older people hoofing it through parking lots that should be parking in handicap spots and don't as they feel the walk may be helpful to them. I also have neuropathy in feet, spines been fused and weighed before weight loss 194 and never considered a handicap tag as also knew the short walk wasn't going to kill me.

Last edited by luv my dayton; 12-26-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-26-2015, 10:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I used to think stores increased the number of handicap spaces due to people living longer and remaining more independent.
Its easy to see that's not the case.
Huge increase in fat drivers, and possibly lax standards in issuing permits.
What's the deal here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Fat people should not get handicapped spots. What a self fulfilling prophecy. Make them walk a little bit, it won't kill them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Stop parking in the handicap spots if you care so much for the elderly. And for God's sake lose some weight!
you people, and others of your ilk, seem to be just nasty little people who have no clue about which they speak. take me for instance, i am overweight, but i have a number of medical conditions, such as anemia, diabetes, hypertension, and end stage cronic kidney disease which has me on dialysis three days a week. as a result i have problems moving around, not because of my weight though, but because of my medical condition.

before i developed these conditions, i had no problem, despite my weight, walking a couple of miles. now because of these medical conditions, i have problems just walking 100ft. i get pain in my lower back, hips, and knees. so until such time as you can put yourself into the shoes of another, you have no room to talk about who gets a handicap permit or not.

and by the way, i try NOT to use my permit, but there are times when it does come in handy. i hope someday you never have to deal with any medical conditions that force you into the same situation.

one does not have to be in a wheel chair or on crutches to be handicapped.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:44 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I really don't like to judge, because not all handicaps are visible, and their obesity might be a result of it, not a cause.

What bugs me more is seeing morbidly obese people in a motorised scooter containing mountains of Coke, cakes, chips, spray 'cheese', and absolutely nothing even remotely healthy. Often eating a super sized order of fast food while shopping.

Not because I'm outraged they're using the scooters, but because it's basically watching them commit suicide right in front of my eyes. They might as well be jumping off a bridge in front of everyone.

But...it's really none of my business though.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:44 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I really don't like to judge, because not all handicaps are visible, and their obesity might be a result of it, not a cause.

What bugs me more is seeing morbidly obese people in a motorised scooter containing mountains of Coke, cakes, chips, spray 'cheese', and absolutely nothing even remotely healthy. Often eating a super sized order of fast food while shopping.

Not because I'm outraged they're using the scooters, but because it's basically watching them commit suicide right in front of my eyes. They might as well be jumping off a bridge in front of everyone.

But...it's really none of my business though.
I agree, its pretty sad. Morbidly obese people lack will power and generally don't care about their own health. Then you see them in scooters loading up on junk food.

Then, the icing on the cake (bad pun?) is when they pull out their SNAP card to pay for all that garbage.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:04 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
The doctors pass handicapped stickers out like candy. Seems like everyone has some kind of problem. After they park seems like the people never have a problem walking or getting out of their car... Just sayin...

Old 12-27-2015, 07:49 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i see young people using their grandma tag beat handicap out of parking. I have also seen handicap argue with other handicap when there be closer non handicap spots open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies