Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,463,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Well, the best scientific minds on earth told everyone the earth is flat. That's a good example of believing science that is not really science; it was speculation just like speculating on the age of the universe.
Ah, as I suspected, so this is what the Ron Paul folks are really like! Actually until guys like Copernicus and Galileo came along and stuck their neck out, all those "best scientific minds" risked excommunication, torture or worse... precisley due to ultra-conservative, "true-believer" authoritarian folks just like your ownself! Of course nowadays we just call those kinda authoritarian types the ''Taliban'' (regardless the ''faith'' or methods).

Copernicus, Galileo, and the Church: Science in a Religious World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So as far as we know, it will be refined again and this age will be proven wrong. And to take the argument further, what if a new idea comes about? The numbers may not be refined and science comes out with some sort of statement. Why isn't it legitimate for me to question that statement knowing that it might take another 100 years to actually determine if it's factual, or exact yet?

Small errors in calculations can make a pretty big difference in the big picture can it not?
So are you then thinking they will one day find that the earth is really only 5000-12,000 years old?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Consider the source.

The ancient Greeks, Romans, an Arabs knew the Earth was round, and even calculated the circumference of Earth with surprising accuracy and they even established trade with the "new world" more than a thousand years before Columbus got the idea.

Only Christians have ever made the ridiculous claim that the Earth was flat because they regressed after Rome fell and much of the ancient knowledge was lost.

Not true at all. There is nothing in the Bible to support a flat earth. People thought the earth was flat BEFORE Christianity even existed. Read about the ancient Chinese who thought the earth was flat and square.

In fact, the belief that most people thought the earth was flat in the past 2000 years is a myth. But they certainly did prior to about the fifth century BC.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Only Christians have ever made the ridiculous claim that the Earth was flat because they regressed after Rome fell and much of the ancient knowledge was lost.
It was never lost. That is a myth. Your post is a total lie.

Your Christian bashing bias is showing.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Ah, as I suspected, so this is what the Ron Paul folks are really like! Actually until guys like Copernicus and Galileo came along and stuck their neck out, all those "best scientific minds" risked excommunication, torture or worse... precisley due to ultra-conservative, "true-believer" authoritarians folks just like your ownself! Of course nowadays we just call those kinda authoritarian types the ''Taliban'' (regardless the ''faith'' or methods).

Copernicus, Galileo, and the Church: Science in a Religious World

Lies. And Ron Paul does not believe the earth is flat.

Myth of the Flat Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM

37,121 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
It's not a "scientific discovery". It's a guess. Pure speculation.
An estimate and a "guess" are not the same thing.

I can go to the supermarket, look at my purchases, and come up with a pretty good estimate of the total bill for what's in the basket, based on what I remember the shelf prices to be. That is not a "guess."

The estimate in the article under discussion is based on physics and astronomy. If you refuse to accept its validity, you might as well throw away every piece of technology you own. Knowledge of physics is what makes the hardware work.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So are you then thinking they will one day find that the earth is really only 5000-12,000 years old?
They might if it would generate more "scientist" jobs. Who knows what will be in vogue 100 years from now? And does anyone really care? There is nothing in my life that will change regardless of the age of the earth.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
It's not a "scientific discovery". It's a guess. Pure speculation.
To you it is, because you obviously do not have much education in science to understand the significance of the findings.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
An estimate and a "guess" are not the same thing.

I can go to the supermarket, look at my purchases, and come up with a pretty good estimate of the total bill for what's in the basket, based on what I remember the shelf prices to be. That is not a "guess."

The estimate in the article under discussion is based on physics and astronomy. If you refuse to accept its validity, you might as well throw away every piece of technology you own. Knowledge of physics is what makes the hardware work.
Astronomy is not physics.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,738,388 times
Quote:
Kinda like guessing at the age of the universe or guessing what the earth's temperature will be in 100 years. It's a useless exercise and it's done by leeches on society.
You're not telling me that you are equating a bunch of fairy tales by some bearded men, with science, are you? Please say it isn't so. I'm about to burst out laughing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies