Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times

Advertisements

"The universe is 80 million years older than previously thought".

Now I can live in peace. Until now, I wasn't so sure and it bothered me. But now, we can all be happy and satisfied.
Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They were not wrong, just not as accurate. There is a distinction. The formula Hubble originally developed in 1923 to calculate the age of the universe was, and still is, correct. He used inaccurate data at the time to calculate the universe's age. We have been refining that data and collecting more detailed information since then.

Using the WMAP image alone the age of the universe works out to 13.69±0.13 billion years old. However, by combining the data from WMAP with measurements from Type Ia supernova and the Baryon acoustic oscillations data, the age of the universe works out to 13.72±0.12 billion years old. Same formula, different data.

The 50-million pixel, all-sky image data gathered by ESA's Planck satellite refines that data further. It is essentially the high-definition version of the WMAP image. Combined with the other data, they are now estimating the age of the universe to be 13.80 billion years old. You will note that 13.8 billion years is within the margin of error they already included in previous estimates.
Stop confusing the good people with facts and verifible data. It makes their heads hurt.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
But it behaves mathematically.
When you absolutely have the right numbers. Even then there are things that we can't apply mathematics to. Or at least haven't figured out how to. How does Deja Vu work?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Space-time.

Space-time is the only thing that can move faster than light. Every object within space-time, from the smallest particle to the largest galaxy, are all bound by the speed of light. Only space-time itself is capable of expanding faster than the speed of light, which is what happened during "inflation."

Saying that space-time is expanding into space-time suggests the universe is older than inflationists are currently postulating.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Saying that space-time is expanding into space-time suggests the universe is older than inflationists are currently postulating.
Why?

According to the theory, at the end of the Grand Unification Epoch, when the strong force is separated from the electronuclear force at about 10^-36 seconds after the big bang, inflation began and lasted until around 10^-33 seconds after the big bang.

The universe would have doubled in size every 10^-35 seconds. Within 10^-30 seconds, the universe would have doubled in size 100,000 times, which is more than enough expansion to explain the flatness problem. Even if the universe had curvature when it started, that much expansion would cause it to appear flat today.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
If the universe is everything what in the heck is it expanding into?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
If the universe is everything what in the heck is it expanding into?
Nobody will ever know the answer to this.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When you absolutely have the right numbers. Even then there are things that we can't apply mathematics to. Or at least haven't figured out how to. How does Deja Vu work?
The numbers don't matter to nature. She does what she does w/o the permission or approval of anyone. We use the numbers to understand and it works when we figure out relationships.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
The question that I have is, since the Universe is now older than scientists thought, would that not make the calculation of the life expectancy of our sun wrong? Even if it is only 80 million years in the billion year cosmic scheme of things it is still that many more years that Old Sol has been burning up there in the sky. That should mean 80 million years less of time we have before the sun fades away for good, although, I do think it's still a little early to panic since I haven't noticed the sun dimming any, lately. Although I am not overly concerned about the 80 million years discrepancy, since I doubt seriously if it will have any impact on my life, I just thought I would throw this out here as food for thought.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
The question that I have is, since the Universe is now older than scientists thought, would that not make the calculation of the life expectancy of our sun wrong? Even if it is only 80 million years in the billion year cosmic scheme of things it is still that many more years that Old Sol has been burning up there in the sky. That should mean 80 million years less of time we have before the sun fades away for good, although, I do think it's still a little early to panic since I haven't noticed the sun dimming any, lately. Although I am not overly concerned about the 80 million years discrepancy, since I doubt seriously if it will have any impact on my life, I just thought I would throw this out here as food for thought.

Apples and oranges. That's like say "since dad lied about his age, I'm now 10 yrs older than I thought".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies