Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
roe v Wade was not an "end run" around letting people vote. It was putting an end to discrimination against women.

Your example is like saying the Civil Rights act was an end run around state laws to prevent those people from voting against de-segregation.
Sure it was. Why else would the pro abortion group NOT let each state vote on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM

349 posts, read 260,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Oh no no - don't misunderstand me. Your overall point is completely legitimate. I'm purely responding to the 24 hour waiting period being somehow wrong. I agree they shouldn't put in completely unnecessary regulations that serve no useful purpose and only close down clinics for no good reason. I just don't see a problem with the waiting period.
You are either naive or willfully ignorant.
The only reason for the 24 hr wait and two trips are to serve as a roadblaock to women who want to have an abortion.

I would presume that any woman wanting an abortion has surmised the following:

1. I am pregnate.
2. I want to terminate this pregnacy.

The woman has already given thought to the procedure she is going to undergo. She has made her decission.

Unfortunately Conservatives have decided that they know best what women should do with their bodies.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The bill has safety standards that apply to all .Why is that bad
I don't believe in excessive regulation. How does a larger janitor closet or more expensive HVAC system increase safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Because Texas decided that it's needed before she can get an abortion. Just like you need to pay for your DL before you drive a car (though you don't need it). Or a CCW etc. This is what nanny staters like to do, and while I should be objecting it on principle, if it stops some abortions I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
What right does TX have in determining what is medically necessary? Leave that between the DR. and patient. The ultrasound issue was passed and upheld 2 years ago. I think it is unnecessary, but it is pretty common anyway. It would be like the state requiring me to double check the type of gas I put in my car. Well, not quite, but almost.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The point is simply to make it as hard as possible for women to have abortions.
It should be hard to get an abortion. Many people are desensitized to the idea of abortion and look at it like it's an inconvenience; no different than getting a mole removed.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't believe in excessive regulation. How does a larger janitor closet or more expensive HVAC system increase safety?

What right does TX have in determining what is medically necessary? Leave that between the DR. and patient. The ultrasound issue was passed and upheld 2 years ago. I think it is unnecessary, but it is pretty common anyway. It would be like the state requiring me to double check the type of gas I put in my car. Well, not quite, but almost.
How does the safety standards for medical care not count for a place who performs medical care.
Why are safety standards for one medical care clinic not the same for all?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,901 times
Quote:
In essence they need a way to determine how many weeks pregnant she is. That is done by ultersound. Now early on, it's fairly obvious that the fetus is nowhere near viable, but it's an arbitrary standard. Here in Texas, I have to get my car inspected and pay money for it. There are so many nanny state laws, when one is passed against the instigators, I can't help but not care.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
How does the safety standards for medical care not count for a place who performs medical care.
Why are safety standards for one medical care clinic not the same for all?
Once again, I have already stipulated that if the point of this bill is to address surgical abortions the state could have introduced a bill addressing surgical abortions. They aren't addressing abortions, they are addressing abortion clinics.

For example, if the state said that you can only receive a vaccination from a hospital instead of a clinic or sprains need to be treated at hospitals I would oppose that as well. There is no need to drive up the cost of medical procedures.

How does having a larger closet increase safety?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
In essence they need a way to determine how many weeks pregnant she is. That is done by ultersound. Now early on, it's fairly obvious that the fetus is nowhere near viable, but it's an arbitrary standard. Here in Texas, I have to get my car inspected and pay money for it. There are so many nanny state laws, when one is passed against the instigators, I can't help but not care.
Why not oppose all nanny state laws?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Once again, I have already stipulated that if the point of this bill is to address surgical abortions the state could have introduced a bill addressing surgical abortions. They aren't addressing abortions, they are addressing abortion clinics.

For example, if the state said that you can only receive a vaccination from a hospital instead of a clinic or sprains need to be treated at hospitals I would oppose that as well. There is no need to drive up the cost of medical procedures.

How does having a larger closet increase safety?
I do not oppose safety standards for clinics. Any clinic .If you are going into a clinic for care should you not expect one clinic to have the same safety standards as the next?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It should be hard to get an abortion. Many people are desensitized to the idea of abortion and look at it like it's an inconvenience; no different than getting a mole removed.
I agree that there are too many people who treat it as a form of birth control.
However, that is not my business nor is it yours.

To force someone to conceivably spend a full day driving to a clinic not once but twice is simply cruel and unusual punishment.
And the fact that only women are subjected to this treatment is bias, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies