Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Do you guys believe that DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional? What gets me is that they don't have any reason to stop you, the 4th amendment protects us from unreasonable search and seizure. I'm thrilled to see no threads like this have ever been started here in the "Great Debates" forum.

Absolutely.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Do you guys believe that DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional? What gets me is that they don't have any reason to stop you, the 4th amendment protects us from unreasonable search and seizure. I'm thrilled to see no threads like this have ever been started here in the "Great Debates" forum.
Of course they are unconstitutional, to stop someone without cause is about as unreasonable of a search as you can get.
The only reason they can do it is that the Constitution is no longer the Supreme law of the land.
The government works for corporate and banking interests, not the American citizen.
We exist now under tyranny where democracy is a joke and every politician and Supreme Court Justice is bought and paid for by Wall St.
You are no longer a Citizen, you are a commodity to be owned, managed, and exploited.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Around here the checkpoints usually get 3-5 DUI's and 100-200 illegals with no license or insurance
The sad and pathetic side of that is the 100-200 criminal aliens with no license or insurance are most likely just allowed to continue on their way, bleeding the taxpayers dry and risking the lives of innocent people. While the 3-5 that had a couple of drinks are shaken down for thousands of dollars and locked up. What's wrong with that picture?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The sad and pathetic side of that is the 100-200 criminal aliens with no license or insurance are most likely just allowed to continue on their way, bleeding the taxpayers dry and risking the lives of innocent people. While the 3-5 that had a couple of drinks are shaken down for thousands of dollars and locked up. What's wrong with that picture?

The same thing that is wrong with the little old lady, or 8 year old kid getting shaken down at our airports by TSA goons.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
I don't really have any problem with checkpoints but I do have a problem with "gotcha!!!!!" type policing in regards to DUI or anything outside of maybe child molestation.

There is a city near me where it is common knowledge that you cannot get a cab after dusk because the cab drivers have basically been chased out of town by the cops. If a cabby comes to this town after dark he WILL be stopped and ticketed. If you decide to walk home after a night out because you feel you had one too many you WILL be arrested and jailed if a cop sees you, questions you and determines you have drank. If you decide to crawl into your backseat and sleep it off and get caught, guess what??!? DUI!

This is a college town with a large downtown bar area. It is also has the highest rate of DUI arrests per capita in the state. I feel that the tactics used by the police aren't geared towards preventing people from driving drunk rather they are simply out to generate revenue. This doesn't keep us any safer. The main focus of law enforcement should be to keep people safe and prevent crime not be out to "bust" people.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

I always thought that if you get stopped at a DUI checkpoint and they uncovered other issues like outstanding warrants, lack of insurance or suspended DL that they could ticket/hold you for those offenses.

Are you saying that police aren't permitted to arrest an illegal for driving w/o a license and/or insurance?

Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
If you have nothing to hide they don't stop and search or do anything. They usually look at you and if you look like your drunk or hiding something they have "reasonable doubt" they give you breathalizer.
Unfortunately this is not true.

Hub and I went through a DUI checkpoint last night, our first ever. We saw the police lights ahead, but didn't realize what was going on until it was too late. I didn't have time to tell hub (he was driving) that he doesn't have to answer any of their questions (based on what I have learned in this thread along with subsequent research into the topic). So when the police asked him if he'd had anything to drink, he answered that he'd had 2 beers. (I'm silently thinking "Don't answer! Don't answer!")

Well, 2 beers was enough to get us pulled into the adjacent parking lot for further investigation. They told me to wait in the car while they tested him. They didn't do a breathalyzer, but they asked him more questions, and had a tiny flashlight that he had to follow the beam with his eyes. He was fine of course, only 2 beers the entire evening. But then the police made me get out and go through the same light testing. I passed just fine, and the police said that I needed to drive home. I said, "Did my husband not pass your test?" And he said, "No, he's fine, but we have a zero tolerance, so since he admitted to having 2 beers, we want you to drive home." (I'd had more to drink than my husband had, but they didn't know that). I wanted to ask them more about how can they have a "zero tolerance" if the legal limit is .08, but by that time I just wanted to get out of there. All in all we were detained for about 10 minutes.

When we got home, I told my hub that he didn't actually have to answer any of their questions, and I showed him one of the videos that was in this thread.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,199,846 times
We need to have random traffic stops to keep the illegal aliens afraid if nothing else. As an american citizen I have and can produce a real verified identity at any time at any place,,,Traffic stops save lives.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We need to have random traffic stops to keep the illegal aliens afraid if nothing else. As an american citizen I have and can produce a real verified identity at any time at any place,,,Traffic stops save lives.
So do checkpoints.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:07 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,200 times
Quote:

I am of the opinion that DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional. The 4th Amendment requires probable cause. Similar SCOTUS rulings have argued that a lawful encounter must have sufficient reason (suspicion) for the lawful encounter to occur. Absent an infraction or a violation of law, there is no lawful reason to legally stop a vehicle traveling in the United States. The right to travel freely goes clear back to Magna Carta and was included in the original Articles of Confederation and SCOTUS has repeatedly reaffirmed this right to travel freely.

How is one able to freely travel when they are subjected to checkpoints to determine IF there is suspicion or probable cause? This concept makes zero sense to a simple minded man like me.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies