Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It doesn't surprise me that you are once again making ignorant statements. Japan doesn't have our diet. They eat fish instead of red meat, rice instead of gluten loaded grains like wheat, lots of vegetables, and way fewer processed foods.
Then instead of whining about being fat, you should switch to their diet. I can get fish in any city in this country I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
You have control over your hormones. How much you exercise, how much you eat, what you eat, and your mood all impact your hormones.
Menopause can wreak havoc though, it can trigger big changes and docs don't want to prescribe hormone replacement therapy for long. This is where self help comes in and trial and error but most people don't bother to even try to help themselves. Or they believe if the doctor can't help them then they can't do anything more than that. I hate when people just stop with the doctor or medical establishment and think that's it.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You intolerant people who feel so smug and superior are missing the point.

The question of whether a given condition is a disability depends on whether it imposes functional limitations on the ability of the person to do certain things, like standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, lifting, seeing, hearing, and other things that are considered normal life activities. It has nothing to do with whether you, personally, approve of the way the person received the disability.

You may disapprove of smoking, but that doesn't mean that a person with lung cancer or COPD isn't disabled.
You may disapprove of drinking, or of drunken driving, but that doesn't mean that a person who suffers a TBI due to his own drunken driving isn't disabled.
You may disapprove of extramarital sex, but that doesn't mean that a person with a sexually transmitted disease isn't disabled from it.
You may disapprove of suicide, but that doesn't mean that a person who suffers a TBI from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or an attempted asphyxiation isn't disabled.

For that matter, you don't know that a person who gained 100 lbs. in a year gained that weight because of overeating or because of the side effects of prescribed medications.

I really do hope that nothing bad happens in your life, but I also hope that if it does you will receive more compassion and empathy from others than you are displaying.
Here's what drives me nuts. They complain about people being overweight, but Michelle Obama is the most horrible person on the planet for wanting people to eat healthy and exercise. Trying to talk about soda being one of the most unhealthy items on the planet is creating a police state, to the point where Palin openly mocked that discussion to cheers at CPAC where she proudly held up a Big Gulp. It's big government control to stop people from smoking in public places and exposing the rest of us to second hand smoke. The problem is, they don't get it both ways. Either being fat and smoking is a problem, or it isn't.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Menopause can wreak havoc though, it can trigger big changes and docs don't want to prescribe hormone replacement therapy for long. This is where self help comes in and trial and error but most people don't bother to even try to help themselves. Or they believe if the doctor can't help them then they can't do anything more than that. I hate when people just stop with the doctor or medical establishment and think that's it.
Life is all about change. Now that I'm pushing 40, my hormones are way different than I was at 20. So is my metabolism. I still eat what I want and stay in shape. The trick is remaining active.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Here's what drives me nuts. They complain about people being overweight, but Michelle Obama is the most horrible person on the planet for wanting people to eat healthy and exercise. Trying to talk about soda being one of the most unhealthy items on the planet is creating a police state, to the point where Palin openly mocked that discussion to cheers at CPAC where she proudly held up a Big Gulp. It's big government control to stop people from smoking in public places and exposing the rest of us to second hand smoke. The problem is, they don't get it both ways. Either being fat and smoking is a problem, or it isn't.
I think their point revolves around personal responsibility versus mandated responsibility.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
If restaurants want to allow smoking or 64oz soda cups, I'm fine with that. If consuming those things makes some people unhealthy, I'm fine with that. I guess I'm fine when those people want to be considered disabled, I just don't consider them disabled.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Then instead of whining about being fat, you should switch to their diet. I can get fish in any city in this country I've been to.
First, I'm not overweight. Second, there's a reason why you can't get good seafood in the center of the country--it has to be frozen and shipped in because we live so far from the coast, and it turns to tasteless mush in the process. You just made my point--processed foods and nasty chemicals in the American diet may be as much to blame for obesity vs. any kind of moral failing on the part of overweight people, yet most of you mock those trying to educate the public about eating healthier diets. As I said, you don't get it both ways.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The other day I was on a bus and a fat guy got on...when I say "fat" I mean "HEY HEY HEEEEYYY!" This man needed three mirrors to see if his shoes weren't tied. Anyway he got on the bus and moved to the front seats, all of which were full. He motioned to a young man, listening to his music. The young man took out his headphones and asked him what he needed. The fat man said "can I sit here?" The young man said "why?" The fat man pointed to his massive gut and said "because I'm disabled."

The young man looked at him like he was crazy and said, and I quote, "man you ain't disabled, you fat!"

Many people on the bus, myself included, laughed but tried to muffle the laughter. Someone else got up and let the fat man sit down so he could have two seats behind the front seats to himself. As he left someone said something to the young man and he said "man, if it was a old dude with a cane I'd have gotten up or a pregnant lady or somethin, but not him."

You know what? I AGREE 100%

Being a chunky monkey is NOT a disability. It can be DISABLING, but it is not in and of itself a DISABILITY. Being drunk is also disabling...should drunk people get special seats?

And the worst part is, these heffers get disability checks, handicap parking, government services and all kinds of things for something that IS THEIR OWN DOING. I have yet to meet a wheel chair bound person who just couldn't say "no" to screwing up their spinal cord the way round people couldn't say "no" to bon bons. I have yet to meet a blind person who lost their vision thanks to being lazy. You make your bed, you lay in it (if we can find a bed big enough for you...)

And spare me, SPARE ME the old "maybe it's their genes" argument. The only thing their weight has to do with their jeans is that they can barely fit in them. Want proof? Millions of emaciated, starving people in third world counties. Have you ever seen ONE random fat one who had those same "get fat no matter what" genes?

And yes, I have seen some disabled people who become overweight as a result of their disability, and that's different. If someone who ran every day is in a car accident and is wheelchair bound and moving less all of a sudden, I could see them putting on weight. But there is a difference between a disability CAUSING weight gain and trying to say weight gain IS A DISABILITY.

I knew a kid in school who was blind in one eye (birth defect) and had trouble as a result. All the dieting on Earth would not give him that eye back. All the push ups and jogging he could do would not give him 20/20 vision. In short, anything that can be changed simply by not stepping foot in a McDonald's and steaming some vegis instead is NOT a disability.

And the worst part is, I am a little round and the doctor says it would be good for me to lose ten pounds or so. I am not so big the back of my neck looks like a pack of hotdogs, but I am getting there. And you know who I blame? MYSELF. But no issue. I'll get that "Insanity" work out and cook from now on and lose it. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

We as a society should cut off these chunky monkeys and instead worry about people with real disabilities. No more enabling the lady with more "Chins" than the Hong Kong census to blame the world for not liking her. Not more free rides for the guy whose girth is so wide he uses laptop for a smart phone.

Can't find a seat on the bus that will fit? WALK! The exercise will do you some good anyway.
I know you didn't get these, so here ya go:

Missing DNA tied to obesity - Health - CBC News

Scientists Find DNA Modifications That May Increase Obesity Risk | Asian Scientist Magazine | Science, Technology and Medicine News Updates From Asia

Obesity gene acts on DNA - University of Oxford

Chemical patterns on DNA mark out obesity genes - health - 16 September 2010 - New Scientist

Environmental DNA Modifications Tied to Obesity - US News and World Report

Also, people who are obese are definitely disabled - they can't get around easily, or can't get around at all. How can you say they aren't? I'm sure you're aware by what you posted, that people who are very obese are disabled.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I think their point revolves around personal responsibility versus mandated responsibility.
And again--you don't get it both ways. If you want to complain about people being overweight to the point of disability, then you have to be willing to do something about it, or else it becomes just more whining. If we're a fat country, then obviously depending on individual responsibility to fix that hasn't worked, especially when people in this country are up against 24/7 advertising from big food companies that associate drinking and eating crap with being a great parent and having fun (happy meals, soda, sugary and high fat snacks, etc.)

Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You intolerant people who feel so smug and superior are missing the point.

The question of whether a given condition is a disability depends on whether it imposes functional limitations on the ability of the person to do certain things, like standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, lifting, seeing, hearing, and other things that are considered normal life activities. It has nothing to do with whether you, personally, approve of the way the person received the disability.

You may disapprove of smoking, but that doesn't mean that a person with lung cancer or COPD isn't disabled.
You may disapprove of drinking, or of drunken driving, but that doesn't mean that a person who suffers a TBI due to his own drunken driving isn't disabled.
You may disapprove of extramarital sex, but that doesn't mean that a person with a sexually transmitted disease isn't disabled from it.
You may disapprove of suicide, but that doesn't mean that a person who suffers a TBI from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or an attempted asphyxiation isn't disabled.

For that matter, you don't know that a person who gained 100 lbs. in a year gained that weight because of overeating or because of the side effects of prescribed medications.

I really do hope that nothing bad happens in your life, but I also hope that if it does you will receive more compassion and empathy from others than you are displaying.
I think you are missing the biggest point of all. A legal disability creates an accommodation by government, society, and other institutions. It is not reasonable for accommodations to be granted for things that are almost completely within the control of the individual. The vast majority of obese people are not that way because of anything more than overeating.

Many of your examples are not good comparisons at all. How many failed suicides require an accommodation?

As for smoking, the force of government has been strong against smoking for decades. We discriminate against smokers constantly. We tax the crap out of tobacco (although we subsidize the farming of it). We even try to limit exposure to second hand smoke.

"Fat tolerance" needs to stop. It is not OK to be fat. If you can't fit in an airline seat, you need to buy two seats. We do not need society to see and hear messages that "don't worry be happy" includes a blessing to be fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies