Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
And the only thing standing in the way of this bill's passage is Gov. Dalrymple, a hard-line social conservative with a solid anti-choice voting record.

I'm glad, however, to see that there's at least some protest from the Republican camp in that state.

Rest assured, people, that this law won't make it past Justice Kennedy or any other Obama appointee, but it's nonetheless a shame that in the 21st century, we'll presumably be seeing the question of a woman's right to choose taken back to the SCOTUS. Mind-blowing.

Fortunately with moves like this the GOP will not have another President in the White House in the foreseeable future, so Supreme Court justice nominations will be by Democratic presidents, meaning that Roe vs. Wade will continue to stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Fortunately with moves like this the GOP will not have another President in the White House in the foreseeable future, so Supreme Court justice nominations will be by Democratic presidents, meaning that Roe vs. Wade will continue to stand.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

Any Republican nominee in 2016 needs to have modified their views on at least the issues of reproductive choice and marriage equality, but how likely is it that a pro-choice, pro-same-sex marriage Republican would win the primaries/caucuses of ND, SD, IA, AL, GA, SC, LA, TX, etc., etc.? It would sure make for an interesting convention...

But it's a tuffy for me--as much as I've tried to avoid the Democrats and Republicans during the last three election cycles, I find that, as I currently become very focused on a single issue (that being Second Amendment rights, of course), it turns my stomach to think of Andrew Cuomo, Martin O'Malley or Hillary Clinton holding the executive pen in national office.

Without an explicit endorsement from the NRA ("Not Responsible for Anything")[], no vote from me!

I'm nevertheless with you on Roe vs Wade, though--North Dakota has delivered a national embarrassment.

Last edited by Montguy; 03-22-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
A little surprised by this .............

Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Screw them. Have some stones. Cowards. I will always stand up for the lives many of you are so quick to throw away, without a care in the world. You got a chance at life. Why shouldnt they? I bet none of you would willingly go back in time, if it were possible, if your mothers now said theyd rather have aborted you to save them stress/money/etc. None of you would.

What is worse is how giddy and happy some of you get that abortion is legal. How excited you feel to know so many never get the same chance you and others got.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Good for them, it's long overdue for some Republicans to stand up to the authoritarians in their party.
If there were more people like them in the party then it might become a party worth saving. As it is they will be labeled rinos and outed in the next primary. Mark my words.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the Republican Party is going down the toilet. Good for those folks for at least trying to fight the good fight though even if it isn't likely to end well for them. The one thing right wing authoritarians never like is being told no.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
BTW the SCotUS has already said it is illegal to ban abortions prior to 20 weeks yet this bill (like the idiots in Arkansas) ignores that. It is DOA as soon as it hits the court and then the state will lose millions trying to defend an obviously unconstitutional law which goes against dozens of supreme court rulings. Remember how wasteful they've been in this case the next time Republicans claim to want the government to spend less. It's all just lies.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
This is a duplicate thread. What happened to your other one? Maybe it was a different poster. Anyway, Idaho tried to do the exact same thing and it was thrown out on constitutional grounds. Google: Idaho + abortion + overturned and you get a ton of links on the subject.

the law will be overturned well before it ever gets to the Supreme court. Nothing in this case is unique.
The first one was taken down because I did not put my opinion in it. I just posted the link and that is against forum rules. Not sure why but it is. That is what the mod told me anyway.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
BTW the SCotUS has already said it is illegal to ban abortions prior to 20 weeks yet this bill (like the idiots in Arkansas) ignores that. It is DOA as soon as it hits the court and then the state will lose millions trying to defend an obviously unconstitutional law which goes against dozens of supreme court rulings. Remember how wasteful they've been in this case the next time Republicans claim to want the government to spend less. It's all just lies.
The whole anti-choice, political movement is a lie. If conservative politicians were to actually succeed in overturning Roe v. Wade, they'd lose one of their major fundraising tactics. This is why politicians in Mississippi, North Dakota, etc. pull these wasteful, going-nowhere stunts. It's all done with an eye to campaign fundraising.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
North Dakota lawmakers move to ban abortion

This is up for the people to vote on now.

Good for North Dakota!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Oh for craps sake! Who are these idiots who keep proposing and PASSING unconstitutional bills? They ALL get the boot in the end. Is it all just to sway a block of voters for the next election cycle? Keep the OCDprolifers whipped into a frenzy for some purpose? I really can't figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies