U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,274,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Because the media and others who profit from it, such as politicians, and the self-help gurus don't want the truth to be out.
The truth is, most sex offenses happen between people who know each other, family etc. AND the recidivism rate is far far lower than they want you to know...just check the DOJ
The registry as it stands now, is bloated with people who are on it for trivial things, and even the likes of John Walsh admit it's not what he envisioned. Patty Wetterling (mother of an abducted child) who initially fought for tougher laws, now actively speaks out against much of the registry and the resulting restrictions, because they don't actually keep children safe.
Even if they did keep children safe they shouldn't exist. If someone is a danger then they shouldn't be let of prison. If someone is not a danger then they shouldn't have their name on any registry. I don't think people should be able to ask if you've committed a crime before on employment applications either. If you paid your debt to society then you paid your debt. That's it. Let it go. I believe any of these things that follow you the rest of your life are cruel & unusual punishment.

If the person is a danger to society then do not let them back into society. If they've served their sentence, then they paid their debt and deserve to go back to being a regular citizen again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,269,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When I was 17 I was molested by a 35 year old woman. It was great!
Ex-NFL Cheerleader Elizabeth Garner Accused of Grabbing 12-Year-Old's Penis | TMZ.com
Quote:
A former NFL cheerleader has been charged with aggravated sexual battery after allegedly grabbing a 12-year-old boy's penis outside his pants ... and attempting to perform oral sex on him.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:15 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,587,662 times
One could say the outrage is the difference between humans and animals.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,269,415 times
Humans are animals

Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
One could say the outrage is the difference between humans and animals.
Yes the human is the one who applies some reason to the situation.

A kid goes to his mother with a scraped knee. She says "okay honey, doesn't look too bad. We'll put a bandaid on it and you go back out and play" He says "okay, mom" and that's the end of it.

A kid goes to his mother with a scraped knee. She says "Oh my God! You're bleeding! Quick. lie down! I'll call the doctor!" And the kid starts crying hysterically.

Now obviously a scraped knee is nothing compared to a sexual assault. I'm not comparing the two. I'm just illustrating a point. Society is hysterical. You can take someone who could have gotten some help and gotten over it and make them into a quivering emotional wreck by acting like they've almost been tortured to death because someone copped a feel. It's not that you want to let the perpetrator of the assault off the hook. It's that you don't want to make trauma to the victim become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Any sort of violation of a person is a traumatizing event. But much of that is in the mind. If someone expects to be severely traumatized, they will be. And the overall societal hysteria puts that expectation out there. You can see the truth of that in the way that different cultures react to different things. If you're socialized into believing sexual assault that really does no lasting physical damage to you is nevertheless a personal violation of unimaginable horror, then you are going to suffer much worse emotional stress and pain if it happens than if your culture considered it the same as getting punched or kicked. You might take months of therapy to get over one and a week to get over the other.

It's similar to how the sort of persistent pursuing of someone was considered romantic in 1950 would be considered borderline stalking harassment today. Grandma might wistfully recall how in high school grandpa asked her out every day and brought her flowers until she said yes. But if grandson did that to a girl today, he'd be suspended from school.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,515,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
There seem to be two general ideas about sexual offenses:

1) Ooooooh They was asking for it! (Victim blaming/trivializing)
2) OMG the victim will never ever get over it! Their life is ruined forever! Execute the perpetrator, they will never change! (Blowing the situation out of proportion)

There's also people out there who think it's "creepy" for an 18 year old to go out with a 17 year old, simply because one is technically an adult in some jurisdictions.

Why can't people be rational and have an reasonable attitude towards sexual offenses? How come there's either this totally dismissive attitude, or this extreme reactionary stance?

I've been molested before, not as a kid but as a teen/adult, and it was scary and unpleasant but I think people have a rather strange attitude about it. I don't think it's qualitively worse than any other kind of assault, though I do think it's a big deal and shouldn't be laughed off.
Rapists, and child molesters should be shot IMO. As for an 18 year old having sex with a 17 year old, or even a 16 year old, isn't a big deal. People getting caught peeing in public, or mooning someone does not warrant them to be sexual predators.

Glad you were able to rise above your ordeal BTW.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:13 AM

29,097 posts, read 25,041,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Humans are animals
No they are not.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Rapists, and child molesters should be shot IMO.
Why?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 AM

15,084 posts, read 13,748,977 times
Kidkaos, confession is good for the soul. I'm just wondering why you seem hell-bent on insisting that sexual assault isn't really all that bad.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Kidkaos, confession is good for the soul. I'm just wondering why you seem hell-bent on insisting that sexual assault isn't really all that bad.
Because of people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies