Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,216,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree, I have done those, 1099s, and my father even showed me how to do a 1120S and some related forms. It is total BS, but I suspect there are a fair amount of people who just take their taxes in to a tax business or VITA site and cannot conceptualize that whole thing.
We don't do our own taxes anymore (that's a dumb move if they're complicated at all, unless you're a tax attorney or an accountant, which it sounds like your dad is), but we did when we were young and living just on paychecks. I'm your parents age (or older). I'm at a different place in life than lots of people here. It just really bothers me to see people, especially people without a lot of life experience of their own, attack others who really are vulnerable, and then make up ridiculous garbage to try to justify being cruel. It becomes pretty obvious, once you start challenging people on the details, who those folks are.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-24-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,417,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I do because my experience is exactly the same. While in college my wife and I supporting two children were on food stamps eating crab legs and lobster twice a week. Now she s knockin down 100Gs and me about 40 Gs and we have to be careful with our food budget now

I congratulate the OP bro in law that he has the moral compass to use these programs as they were intended, a hand up not a hand out. And it isnt that I dont think these programs are necessary and valuable but there is no need to transfer any more wealth, the safety net, as it is, more than adequate

enough is enough
Oh brother! ANOTHER "story" about people living better with food stamps than $140,000 per year! Do you all realize how totally ridiculously absurd these claims are? Again, no way that's true. Just not possible, as has been proven so many times in this thread already.

Who are these people making these claims? Are they high school and college students with enormous conservative "passion"?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,417,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It just really bothers me to see people, especially people without a lot of life experience of their own, attack others who really are vulnerable, and then make up ridiculous garbage to try to justify being cruel. It becomes pretty obvious, once you start challenging people on the details, who those folks are.
Totally agree. The "stories" these folks make up are just so unbelievable! Who would think these outrageous claims would be believed, other than someone very young with no real life experience? "Poor people" would absolutely know that these circumstances are not realistic.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,216,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Totally agree. The "stories" these folks make up are just so unbelievable! Who would think these outrageous claims would be believed, other than someone very young with no real life experience? "Poor people" would absolutely know that these circumstances are not realistic.
The crazy part is that you spell out the math to them and point out where what they're saying is impossible, and they still stick to their guns. People who are poor absolutely do understand the finances, but so do people who really do have six figure incomes, although a $100K income is certainly not a fortune. That's what gets me. They not only make up the scenarios for poor people, but they obviously don't understand the scenarios for anyone with a little bit higher income, and then they're surprised when you all them on it by walking through the details.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-24-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,957,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Just curious, how many people on Welfare/Foodstamps don't have at least a GED?
Along with I thought you had to have children to qualify for food stamps..... Now even couples can get food stamps seniors is one thing, working couples need to buy less beer and cigarettes. Notice many have plenty of tattooing going on, must get those for free also.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I love my wife's family, but for years, I've been quietly annoyed with something: My wife's younger sister, her husband and her family were living extremely well thanks to government assistance. They had had an unplanned pregnancy right in the middle of college and unfortunately their daughter was born blind. This qualified them for government assistance. Lots of it apparently. They would get X amount of money per month on a "use it or lose it" basis, presumably to help them deal with the expensive challenges that come with having a blind child.

So for all the years it took for her husband to finish law school, we sat back in increasing bewilderment as they used all that money to buy things that my wife and I couldn't even dream of affording. Extremely expensive strollers, red wagons, beds, accessories, very expensive toys, a 60 inch LCD HDTV, a 45 inch LCD HDTV that they gave away as a Christmas gift, blueray players for themselves and as gifts to family, etc. And that's tip of the iceberg that we noticed while living several states away from them. Frankly I don't want to know the full extent of their exploitative drain on US taxpayer dollars.

The good news is her husband finished law school, started at a law firm making six figures and even got an immediate raise of more than $30K on top of all that. They bought a house in a very nice suburban neighborhood. Everything seems to be going great for them financially. He makes more than twice my own income and I'm happy for them. But just recently, we all met up with her at a favorite restaurant for lunch and she said something that blew my mind. "We ate better when we were still on foodstamps." She expanded on this, saying that they had lived better across the board on the US government's dime. Recalling all the expensive toys they had purchased at the time, I don't doubt it for one second.

Her husband is much too proud to allow himself and his family suck at the teet of government welfare indefinitely. They're not getting any further assistance now because he makes too much money and I'm sure he wouldn't have it any other way. But it hit home in a huge way just how addictive the government the welfare dole could be. If an income of over $130K is a standard of living downgrade for them, of course other people would be willing to do anything in their power -- lie, cheat, steal, whatever -- to stay on government assistance.
So, you were complicit in their crime.
And your anecdote =/= data.
Try some of that sometime.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,251,793 times
Quote:
I love my wife's family, but for years, I've been quietly annoyed with something: My wife's younger sister, her husband and her family were living extremely well thanks to government assistance. They had had an unplanned pregnancy right in the middle of college and unfortunately their daughter was born blind. This qualified them for government assistance. Lots of it apparently. They would get X amount of money per month on a "use it or lose it" basis, presumably to help them deal with the expensive challenges that come with having a blind child.

So for all the years it took for her husband to finish law school, we sat back in increasing bewilderment as they used all that money to buy things that my wife and I couldn't even dream of affording. Extremely expensive strollers, red wagons, beds, accessories, very expensive toys, a 60 inch LCD HDTV, a 45 inch LCD HDTV that they gave away as a Christmas gift, blueray players for themselves and as gifts to family, etc. And that's tip of the iceberg that we noticed while living several states away from them. Frankly I don't want to know the full extent of their exploitative drain on US taxpayer dollars.

The good news is her husband finished law school, started at a law firm making six figures and even got an immediate raise of more than $30K on top of all that. They bought a house in a very nice suburban neighborhood. Everything seems to be going great for them financially. He makes more than twice my own income and I'm happy for them. But just recently, we all met up with her at a favorite restaurant for lunch and she said something that blew my mind. "We ate better when we were still on foodstamps." She expanded on this, saying that they had lived better across the board on the US government's dime. Recalling all the expensive toys they had purchased at the time, I don't doubt it for one second.

Her husband is much too proud to allow himself and his family suck at the teet of government welfare indefinitely. They're not getting any further assistance now because he makes too much money and I'm sure he wouldn't have it any other way. But it hit home in a huge way just how addictive the government the welfare dole could be. If an income of over $130K is a standard of living downgrade for them, of course other people would be willing to do anything in their power -- lie, cheat, steal, whatever -- to stay on government assistance.
I hate to break the good news to you, but blindness will probably will be a lifelong disability, therefore, the child will receive disability benefits throughout his/her entire lifetime.

What the custodian of the benefits received does with the money is on that person, or persons.
If someone complains to the SS Administration that they don't believe the child's best interests are being served, the SS Administration may decide to revoke the present custodian's authority and hand it to another relative or caring family.

I can only imagine how much this fact must upset you.

Maybe you should snitch on them if you think it will benefit the child.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
Quote:

I haven't read the thread yet, but i'm 100% confident that liberals and Democrats have essentially called you a liar and that your anecdotal story can't be true because welfare fraud, waste, and abuse isn't really a problem in this country!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,660,661 times
Quote:

Its ironic how you republicans slam welfare.
While you fight for 0% tax rates on dividends (so billionaires will have 0% federal tax rates.)
But like Rush radio and Fox news say "the rich made all the right choices."

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,660,661 times
I'm waiting for a republican to tell me "0% tax rates on dividends will increase government revenues." (Its a Fox news fantasy world lie.)
And I'm waiting for a republican to explain how these "supply side" tax cuts will (not) build factories in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies