Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
It's not a new tax. It's just changing the way an existing tax is being collected. It makes a lot easier on consumers like you and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Welcome to California, where we have been paying taxes on out of state purchases since 1935
All states [with sales/use tax] already collect taxes for purchases from out of state. However, they are typically collected directly from the buyer rather than being collected by the seller. So it's not something specific to CA.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not a new tax. It's just changing the way an existing tax is being collected. It makes a lot easier on consumers like you and I.
Not paying it at all is easier for consumers

Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Not paying it at all is easier for consumers
People haven't been complaining about sales/use tax for the last 50+ years. Now that there is a proposal to make it easier for consumers, they are going to complain.

Each state is different. If you have a problem with your sales/use tax and how your state uses the money, it might be time to sit down with your governor.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
People haven't been complaining about sales/use tax for the last 50+ years. Now that there is a proposal to make it easier for consumers, they are going to complain.

Each state is different. If you have a problem with your sales/use tax and how your state uses the money, it might be time to sit down with your governor.
People havent been complaining because it wasnt being enforced and most were not paying.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:

It isn't easier for the consumers, it is so the government is able to collect even more.

I find myself buying more and more second hand on Craigslist because of the near 10% sales/use tax that I have to pay.

First the feds get 28% and the state gets 10% when you earn it, then the state gets another 10% when you spend it, then the feds get another 40% when you die and give whatever you have left to your kids.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
States already collect sales tax on sales within their state (buyer and seller both in the state).. Sales across state lines fall outside jursdiction of either state and they consitute "Interstate Commerce".
It is also prohibited under Article I, Section 10 of the US Constitution:
"No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws..."

Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
People havent been complaining because it wasnt being enforced and most were not paying.
Possibly. People evading taxes have little to complain about when it comes to paying taxes.

There are states with no sales/use tax for those who feel strongly about it.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It isn't easier for the consumers, it is so the government is able to collect even more.

I find myself buying more and more second hand on Craigslist because of the near 10% sales/use tax that I have to pay.

First they get a cut when you earn it, then they get a cut when you spend it, then they get another cut when you die and give it to your kids.
Consumers no longer have to keep track of their receipts and pay on a monthly/quarterly/yearly basis. It will now be collected at the time of the transaction. So much simpler.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is also prohibited under Article I, Section 10 of the US Constitution:
"No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws..."
No, it's not. You are misinterpreting the constitution. "Imports or Exports" refers to US imports and exports. Not state imports and exports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies