Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,118,635 times

Advertisements

this should reroute a lot of consumers to the big box stores... great for big business and government tax spenders. Lots of people that sell online will no longer do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 PM

137 posts, read 136,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
this should reroute a lot of consumers to the big box stores... great for big business and government tax spenders. Lots of people that sell online will no longer do it
This may end up helping small businesses. Buyers might target them since they aren't required to collect the taxes.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
This may end up helping small businesses. Buyers might target them since they aren't required to collect the taxes.
Correct at first glance but they'll get it all soon enough. Should just try to eliminate all sales tax instead....

Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I understand that, but where does the federal government get its authority for this new tax?
This is not a new tax.

You know that this is not a new tax.

Any claim that this is a new tax is a lie.

This is a mechanism to make it easier for states whose legislatures have chosen, in response to local conditions and in the exercise of their state's right to collect sales and use taxes, to collect those taxes on all commerce covered by those taxes.

There are states that do not have these taxes, and anyone who feels that the imposition of a sales and use tax is some kind of tyranny is welcome to communicate those feelings with their current state legislators and governors, or to move to a state that does not engage in that particular tax structure.

The levels of taxes collected varies by state. The level and quality of services collected varies by state. You will not find any state, however, that gets by without tax collections.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
Now wouldn't that be a hoot! Finally, a loop hole for the smaller business.

Never mind. The benefit will be short-lived. The national sales tax (VAT) is coming and that will hit big and small equally. And, I won't be surprised if that is *an additional* sales tax (since no tax is likely to ever get repealed).
For that matter, why not tax those "handling and shipping" costs too? (or, is that next and we just haven't heard about it yet?)

If it's a matter of "fairness" to charge everyone an internet sales tax (except, of course, in those states that don't have a sales tax), then why should someone who lives in a state that has sales tax have to pay when buying from a state that doesn't have it. For example, why should I in CT have to pay a sales tax to CT when buying a product from New Hampshire when I could buy that product IN New Hampshire without paying sales tax. What's fair about that?

While everyone talks about how this is "fair(er)" to the smaller, local businesses, lost in the shuffle is the fact that the bigger internet businesses employ LOTS of people to keep the goods promoted and moving. The loss of business that they may experience will likely cause job losses there as well, losses that may send ripples across industries that depend on that volume.

I have an idea! Why not exempt small, local business establishments from collecting local sales tax! That would increase their business and help "level the playing field".

Novel idea. Never would work.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is not a new tax.

You know that this is not a new tax.

Any claim that this is a new tax is a lie.

This is a mechanism to make it easier for states whose legislatures have chosen, in response to local conditions and in the exercise of their state's right to collect sales and use taxes, to collect those taxes on all commerce covered by those taxes.

There are states that do not have these taxes, and anyone who feels that the imposition of a sales and use tax is some kind of tyranny is welcome to communicate those feelings with their current state legislators and governors, or to move to a state that does not engage in that particular tax structure.

The levels of taxes collected varies by state. The level and quality of services collected varies by state. You will not find any state, however, that gets by without tax collections.
If something that I bought yesterday was NOT taxed, but today it IS taxed, that's a NEW tax.

My question was this.....where does the federal government get the authority to do this?

What if a state doesn't want this?

It will kill many, many small home run businesses.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Never mind. The benefit will be short-lived. The national sales tax (VAT) is coming and that will hit big and small equally. And, I won't be surprised if that is *another* sales tax (since no tax is likely to ever get repealed).

While everyone talks about how this is "fair(er)" to the smaller, local businesses, lost in the shuffle is the fact that the bigger internet businesses employ LOTS of people to keep the goods promoted and moving. The loss of business that they may experience will likely cause job losses there as well, losses that may send ripples across industries that depend on that volume.

I have an idea! Why not exempt small, local business establishments from collecting local sales tax! That would increase their business and help "level the playing field".

Amazon has 20% more revenue than Best Buy, yet employs half as many people as Best Buy. If you're talking about number of people employed, B&M stores keep more people employed than online stores.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Never mind. The benefit will be short-lived. The national sales tax (VAT) is coming and that will hit big and small equally. And, I won't be surprised if that is *an additional* sales tax (since no tax is likely to ever get repealed).
For that matter, why not tax those "handling and shipping" costs too? (or, is that next and we just haven't heard about it yet?)

If it's a matter of "fairness" to charge everyone an internet sales tax (except, of course, in those states that don't have a sales tax), then why should someone who lives in a state that has sales tax have to pay when buying from a state that doesn't have it. For example, why should I in CT have to pay a sales tax to CT when buying a product from New Hampshire when I could buy that product IN New Hampshire without paying sales tax. What's fair about that?

EVERY "big business" was once a small business that succeeded.

Success is not guaranteed.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
If something that I bought yesterday was NOT taxed, but today it IS taxed, that's a NEW tax.

My question was this.....where does the federal government get the authority to do this?

What if a state doesn't want this?

It will kill many, many small home run businesses.
The item you bought yesterday hasn't been taxed yet but has created a tax liability for you. The item you buy today is taxed but does not create a tax liability. Accounting 101.

If the state doesn't want this, they are fully empowered to pass local legislation.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
EVERY "big business" was once a small business that succeeded.

Success is not guaranteed.
Absolutely, right on! Unfortunately, our current government is not in favor of "big business". Capitalism is a dirty word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies