Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,161,917 times

Advertisements

It was a good break while it lasted but the political elite class and their big business buddies want to end it. So, I'll just make a greater effort to shop even less at the local stores and Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,608,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The new American idiocy ... public demanding more taxes. Never in the history of civilized societies have the people become so dumbed down as to enjoy paying tax so much, that they want to pay more.

Congratulations ... some of you are the dumbest people since dinosaurs roamed the planet.
Unbelievable isn't it, the public calling for higher taxes? Politicians have to be loving it. I never heard of this until Obama, at least in my lifetime.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,608,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I imagine that they will have an option of letting vendors opt in or out of having the software collect tax. That is kinda how it is now. Not every vendor collects tax, bur for those that do the tax is calculated and collected at checkout. Shipping is the same way, not every seller charges the same shipping. Many offer free shipping, some charge a flat fee and a few charge the actual cost.

I have to be honest. I have never paid sales tax to the state when the seller did not collect it. I'm pretty sure sales tax is required on used goods too. The state may not be able to enforce collection, but that doesn't really change the obligation.
And you actually believe the seller is not charging for shipping??

If you believe that, .... Shipping is not free to the seller and they are just putting it in the cost of the item geeze, are people really this naive?

And no, sales taxes are not required on used goods (fail 2) If you live in the same state as the seller they are required to collect sales tax. I've seen where people, the buyers back out because they don't want to pay the tax.

Last edited by petch751; 04-26-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,223,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
The proposal is to capture taxes from those who fail to pay. You are a prime example.
Along with 98% of Americans, yes I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And you actually believe the seller is not charging for shipping??

If you believe that, you are an idiot. Shipping is not free to the seller and they are just putting it in the cost of the item geeze, are people really this naive?

And no, sales taxes are not required on used goods (fail 2) If you live in the same state as the seller they are required to collect sales tax. I've seen where people, the buyers back out because they don't want to pay the tax.
I never said shipping is free to the seller. They do not all charge the same price though. If two sellers are selling the identical product for the same price and one charges shipping and one doesn't then one is charging shipping and the other is not. There are any number of reasons for why that would be (such as lower profit, lower cost, lower shipping charges), but to the end consumer the shipping is effectively free.

I don't know if sales tax is required on used goods or not. It has been a long time since I bought from a thrift store. However, my state does require sales tax to be collected on used cars. I do know that I'm required to pay sales tax on online purchases and that I have never done so.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,028,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Unbelievable isn't it, the public calling for higher taxes? Politicians have to be loving it. I never heard of this until Obama, at least in my lifetime.
As other have mentioned, this isn't a call for higher taxes. This is simply shifting taxes to being collected at the POS rather than a later date.

I don't believe these people can't understand a simple concept and somehow we give them the right to vote.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,912,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So that's the reason for this new proposal.
No, that means 1,000,000 consumers are breaking the law, and to fix it you're going to punish me? Thats dumb

Why Amazon Wants To Make You Pay Sales Tax

Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, that means 1,000,000 consumers are breaking the law, and to fix it you're going to punish me? Thats dumb

Why Amazon Wants To Make You Pay Sales Tax
You wanting big government that regulates the states is dumb. In a capitalist society, states and businesses shall possess freedom. No one is punishing you. You don't have to business in states that charge sales tax. Businesses call it the cost of doing business. Which in this case, is extremely minor. Refer to the case study mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
You wanting big government that regulates the states is dumb. In a capitalist society, states and businesses shall possess freedom. No one is punishing you. You don't have to business in states that charge sales tax. Businesses call it the cost of doing business. Which in this case, is extremely minor. Refer to the case study mentioned earlier in this thread.
Um, where the hell have I called for big government to regulate the states? There ALREADY EXISTS laws that require people to pay THE VERY SAME TAX.. So because you choose to break the law, I become the enforcer.. Thats an indicate that governmetn failed..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, where the hell have I called for big government to regulate the states? There ALREADY EXISTS laws that require people to pay THE VERY SAME TAX.. So because you choose to break the law, I become the enforcer.. Thats an indicate that governmetn failed..
By supporting the decision made by the supreme court in 1991, you are supporting big government and unnecessary federal regulation. I didn't break the law. Others broke the law. This process works perfectly fine for B&Ms. It will work perfectly fine for online retailers. Many online retailers support it.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I didn't break the law. Others broke the law. This process works perfectly fine for B&Ms. It will work perfectly fine for online retailers. Many online retailers support it.
Actually the only online supporters that support this are ones who collect payment on behalf of the sellers because this means they get to collect and store billions of dollars more a year and use it to collect interest and expand without using their own capital. You should be upset that these people are using you to allow them to shut out their competition.

Are you honestly going to tell me that you disclose on your tax returns the online purchases you make?

Since you support this bull ****, share with me this. How will you know if a seller has over $1M a year in sales, to know if the item you received had sales taxes paid on it or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies