Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So what? Every business that sells online will use software to handle their online transactions. If a business sells online in their own state, their software already handles sales taxes. Amazon already collects sales taxes for many states including Texas. The software will simply have a table, probably based on zipcode, and automatically add the proper amount of sales tax. The business will simply pay each state the proper amount of tax at some point in time.
How many taxing jurisdictions are we talking about and who's going to maintain a database or does the retailer have to go hunt that information for themselves and be sure it's constantly up to date?

And "simply" sending tax to numerous states is not simple especially if it's not uniform where you have multiple forms and procedures for different taxing jurisdictions.

People in Texas get charged tax by Amazon because they have a physical presence there and amazon has the resources to easily implement this. Since the cost to implement it will be spread out it's not going to cost them nearly as much as small retailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 01:41 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
It's a plus for shopping cart software developers.
If this passes that gives them new work and reason for increased prices.

Some of the big ones do their own in house software development but the small/medium sized online retailers just buy software.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I'm actually for an online sales tax as I don't see why online stores should get out of paying local taxes which all actual local stores have to pay.
Local stores consume resources like real estate. So instead of parks and forests I get to have parking lots. So again what is the bases for your tax?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM

45,352 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Local stores consume resources like real estate. So instead of parks and forests I get to have parking lots. So again what is the bases for your tax?
Which they pay property taxes on.

And no, you don't get to have parks and forests instead. It's clear you don't know much about planning, zoning, land use or other facets of local government, including the whys of doing things.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I love how clueless people see this as a new tax. As if these purchases were ever tax-free.
It is a new tax and it isn't just the money. Its a federally run tax. More state power goes by by.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I'm actually for an online sales tax as I don't see why online stores should get out of paying local taxes which all actual local stores have to pay.
Online stores already pay local taxes to their state.
This thread is not about that.

It's about removing sales tax nexus.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
The manufacturers will simply set up websites that people buy the items directly from overseas.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which they pay property taxes on.
And what is the fair rate do you think? and so then why do we need a sales tax then?

Quote:
And no, you don't get to have parks and forests instead. It's clear you don't know much about planning, zoning, land use or other facets of local government, including the whys of doing things.
It clear you like to be a patronizing and that you like to pretend to be an authority. I know all about zoning and rezoning.....blowhard..

http://www.rosemounttownpages.com/ev...blisher_ID/26/
Try again and do try to be more polite .

Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The manufacturers will simply set up websites that people buy the items directly from overseas.
So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies