Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Envy.
It's a symbol of conspicuous consumption and something most people will never have a chance to set foot in.
Meanwhile, they will post hateful crap from their iphone5 while billions of people drink cholera-laden muddy water and thanks god for the beetles they get to have for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
at the risk of having this post deleted by TPTB, why cant you be more tolerant of the colloquial? It is the colloquial which drives the evolution of language. Otherwise, we would all still be speaking Sanskrit!
Accepting without objection, colloquialisms (and slang) constructed of unneccessarily poor English is not driving our language in a good or useful direction.
The person ,like, using them, sounds, well, you know, like, uneducated, yadadamean?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Hate on private jets? I have never been on one, but I am sure hate isn't what I would be feeling if I were ever on one, I would probably be excited and shocked. Now if a bunch of rich people fly to DC in their own private jet each just to beg Congress for money, then we have a problem. I think DC should of forced those bastards to drive across the country in the company's lowest grade car, then explained why they were failing as a company before seeing a cent from the government to help them out.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I don't hate them. I like planes and would like to fly on a private jet.

I do think they're excessive though. Oil isn't something that should be taken for granted and people should (imo), do their own little bit to save a bit here and there. Burning a few thousand gallons, so a couple of people can be somewhere an hour earlier, is over the top to me.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I've never heard anyone say they hate private jets.

On the other hand, using a private jet is incredibly irresponsible from an environmental perspective. Even air travel has harmful environmental impacts, but private jets (moving all that metal and burning all that fuel to transport one person) are much worse.

That, plus we are constantly hearing people, some rich, some not, whining about how high taxes are. I have a suggestion: if you have enough to own and operate a private jet you're not allowed to complain about anything else, including how much you have to pay in taxes, ever again.

I don't hate them, but I have a hard time sympathizing with the poor, oppressed, overtaxed private jet owners.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Accepting without objection, colloquialisms (and slang) constructed of unneccessarily poor English is not driving our language in a good or useful direction.
The person ,like, using them, sounds, well, you know, like, uneducated, yadadamean?
ha ha

Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGuy View Post
If they have the wealth to afford themselves luxury, what's wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with purchasing a better experience with the wealth that you have received.
I half agree, but I still want to see the business basis of the decision. After all, these people are employees of the shareholders aka the owners of the business, and I do think the shareholders have something to say in the matter.

I myself can probably lay out a pretty good business justification, but I am curious how others see it.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
I never really understood that. Yes, private jets are expensive, but there are many jobs involved in using them. For one thing, people have to build the jet, run the airport, and do maintenance on the jet.

There are things where I could see that it's reasonable to hate some of the rich, but their airplanes aren't one of them.
People are filled up with the standard Hollywood depictions of the rich as people who sit back, relax, and spend all their time gazing out the windows of expensive jets and eating Grey Poupon.

For most rich - especially those in private jets - nothing could be farther from the truth, of course. They are driven people, worried day and night about the outcomes of various deals they are pushing, calling this guy, chivvying that operative, trying to persuade this group to his way and that group away from their way, pretty much 24/7. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what it's like. Every second, you are risking everything... and most of the people who are "rich" this year, won't be next year.

Basically people who hate them, are somwhere between misinformed and completely ignorant. No big surprise - most of them have never known a rich person, and certainly haven't been rich themselves. Nor have they been in a risk-of-losing-it-all situation, even one time, much less for half their lives continuously. People who aren't rich, think the rich don't deserve what they have, and are merely lazy hangers-on. As I said, for most of them, nothing could be further from the truth.

People who hate the rich, mostly have no clue what the rich are like - and worse, they have been fed dangerously false ideas of what the rich are like.

And, of course, our usual leftist suspects will raise the roof if anyone tried to point out the falsehoods they have been spreading about the rich, or tries to show people what the rich are actually like. That wouldn't serve the leftists' agenda at all... and would chip away at the very foundation of the leftists' power. The leftist fanatics cannot tolerate that, and will react hugely.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
I never really understood that. Yes, private jets are expensive, but there are many jobs involved in using them. For one thing, people have to build the jet, run the airport, and do maintenance on the jet.

There are things where I could see that it's reasonable to hate some of the rich, but their airplanes aren't one of them.
Because consumption is good for the consumer, and I am sick of the argument that the rich are a benefit from their consumption. Junk economics. The rich are a benefit to others when they create wealth. Lets all build everything for the rich and live in mud huts? Slavery is full employment.

If a rich person invented something and created wealth to pay for the plane, I am all for it.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:47 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
People are filled up with the standard Hollywood depictions of the rich as people who sit back, relax, and spend all their time gazing out the windows of expensive jets and eating Grey Poupon.
Or people who have relatives that work as accountants in the real estate industry. I hear all about them. They own property on other continents and have smashing parties. So stop with the stupid straw man, and your usual barren arguments. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
For most rich - especially those in private jets - nothing could be farther from the truth, of course. They are driven people, worried day and night about the outcomes of various deals they are pushing, calling this guy, chivvying that operative, trying to persuade this group to his way and that group away from their way, pretty much 24/7. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what it's like. Every second, you are risking everything... and most of the people who are "rich" this year, won't be next year.
Yeah like many drug runners. There is no proof of creating prosperity in your play house example. Your own neoliberal, babble rejects the labor theory of value, but then you whip it out like a Marxist when it suits.

Quote:
Basically people who hate them, are somwhere between misinformed and completely ignorant.
That would be you.

Quote:
No big surprise - most of them have never known a rich person, and certainly haven't been rich themselves. Nor have they been in a risk-of-losing-it-all situation, even one time, much less for half their lives continuously. People who aren't rich, think the rich don't deserve what they have, and are merely lazy hangers-on. As I said, for most of them, nothing could be further from the truth.
Oh I see so most people don't know rich people. Yeah well not if you work in real estate or banking and as you have proven they have little use knowing about anyone else either.

Quote:
People who hate the rich, mostly have no clue what the rich are like - and worse, they have been fed dangerously false ideas of what the rich are like.
People hate rich leaches. Who hated Henry Ford? Steve Jobs is worshipped. You are a clinic in fallacious argument.

Quote:
And, of course, our usual leftist suspects will raise the roof if anyone tried to point out the falsehoods they have been spreading about the rich, or tries to show people what the rich are actually like. That wouldn't serve the leftists' agenda at all... and would chip away at the very foundation of the leftists' power. The leftist fanatics cannot tolerate that, and will react hugely.
You depend on such weak minded opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies