Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I doubt that number. Maybe they did not include "moderate" or "moderate left" in the survey. Most people are liberal when it comes to issue by issue.
OK. What does C Maurio's poll have to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
i am, your own poll shows self identification. I can call my self an umpa lumpa all i want, it doesnt make me one.

Republicans succeeded about 20 years ago of making liberal a dirty word, so more people self identify as conservative because it sounds better, that doesnt make them conservative just as you are using the flawed premise of liberal vs conservative to compare Democrat vs Republican.

Are there not more registered Democrats than Republicans ?

There are more Conservatives than there are Progressives. How they vote depends on the individual.

When the Gate Keepers throw up two Progressives, like they have last 87 years, many Conservatives don't even vote.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
The pendulum swings from right to left and back again. It is swinging to the left now but it should swing back right again sooner or later. We'll just have to see how big a mess of things the left has made when people do wake up and start voting for responsible politics again.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Not just racists. It's the party for all sorts of bigots, psychopaths, and authoritarian control freaks.
First of all, that is a non-sequitur to the quote of mine that you posted. Secondly, when you make a wild claim/accusation like that, you really need to back it up with something. You give us nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Except that their ideas aren't unpopular. Even the right wing Republicans in various states were eager to latch onto the stimulus, Obamacare, etc. They just prefer not to acknowledge how those programs came about.
Their ideas are unpopular--otherwise it would not be the case that only 20 percent of people self-ID as "liberal."

Old 03-23-2013, 07:10 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The pendulum swings from right to left and back again. It is swinging to the left now but it should swing back right again sooner or later. We'll just have to see how big a mess of things the left has made when people do wake up and start voting for responsible politics again.
Majority font really follow politics on that level to k is what's going on, as long as they have a job, place to live and so forth how they vote now is most likely how they'll continue to vote.

GOP has a major image problem that they really need to address, problem is the other sees racism in almost anything they say especially the freedom thing and the ability to get the government outta my life.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Considering that self-identified conservatives outnumber liberals nearly 2-1 (Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 Out of 50 States | CNS News) and are totally decimiated at the state and local levels, AT BEST the democrats are on life support.

Democrats, do you know why the GOP will never die out or be permanently replaced by you? Because, NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T POPULAR EITHER!

The GOP is getting an F from voters, but guess what, your're getting a nice fat D- yourself, and last I checked, that's nothing to brag about.
A couple of things fundamentally wrong with your premise:

1) When asked on individual issues, Americans aren't as quarter as conservative as they think they are. They like the individual provisions of Obamacare, but don't like Obamacare. When details of recent budget proposals were surveyed, without naming whose budget it was, the majority of respondents favored the budget of the.... progressive caucus. The only issue where your argument holds water is on social issues, but even that's not as firm as it once was.

2) Many of these elections are decided in the non-presidential year ballots, when the electorate is markedly older. Older voters tend to vote GOP in higher numbers than younger ones. See 2010 vs. 2012.

3) The GOP is on life support in a number of states, such as California.

Overall, the Dems are in a much better position going forward than the GOP. The Dems biggest problem is messaging. The GOP are all over messaging, and people generally don't like what they're hearing.

Quote:
So in essence Dems have overcome the nearly 2-1 conservative/liberal ratio by pursuing Spencer Ackerman's "call them racist" strategy. And it has worked--judging by the numbers there is a widespread perception that the GOP is the party of racism. This has been enough to compensate for the unpopularity of their ideas.
"Call them racist" strategy? It's pretty easy when you have people like Gingrich saying that Spanish is the language of the ghetto.

This is why you guys will continue to lose elections: you just don't get it.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
A couple of things fundamentally wrong with your premise:

1) When asked on individual issues, Americans aren't as quarter as conservative as they think they are. They like the individual provisions of Obamacare, but don't like Obamacare. When details of recent budget proposals were surveyed, without naming whose budget it was, the majority of respondents favored the budget of the.... progressive caucus. The only issue where your argument holds water is on social issues, but even that's not as firm as it once was..

Link to the study that American's aren't as 1/4 as conservative as they think they are? I mean come on guys, I at least referneced a 3rd party poll that's somewhat reputable.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Link to the study that American's aren't as 1/4 as conservative as they think they are? I mean come on guys, I at least referneced a 3rd party poll that's somewhat reputable.
What you referenced was a link to a news site that gave its own interpretation of data in a gallop poll instead of the gallop poll itself. A poll that does not make your point as your argument was about Democrat vs Republican instead, you posted a poll about self identification as either a liberals or conservative.

Since all Democrats are not liberal and all republicans are not conservative, that poll is invalid on 2 points.

Here is Pew study on how many people identify as Dem or GOP, as well as those who belong to neither party, but lean one way or the other.

A Closer Look at the Parties in 2012 | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Considering that self-identified conservatives outnumber liberals nearly 2-1 (Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 Out of 50 States | CNS News) and are totally decimiated at the state and local levels, AT BEST the democrats are on life support.

Democrats, do you know why the GOP will never die out or be permanently replaced by you? Because, NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T POPULAR EITHER!

The GOP is getting an F from voters, but guess what, your're getting a nice fat D- yourself, and last I checked, that's nothing to brag about.

Well I hope not....we need a two party system. Fiscal conservatives are fine but when they get into the social issues they turn a lot of people off.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:

You do realize that Democrats not only win the liberal vote but also carry the moderate vote by large margins. The reason people say the GOP is dying out is because the GOP's best age group is 65+ while Democrats best group is 18-29, as such the GOP is literally dying out. That is not the way it was under Reagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies