Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:14 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,561,141 times

Advertisements

The GOP’s confidence gap over the deficit, in 3 charts

An interesting development - and a blow for the party which used to own "fiscal responsibility" like the family pet. By a margin of 53% to 39%, the survey's respondents have more confidence in the President than GOP leaders to deal with the deficit.

To be fair, to some extent this is probably just a reflection of what Gene Healy calls "the Superman Presidency", or the American habit of secretly preferring benevolent dictatorship: we have become accustomed to looking to the presidency as the solution to all our problems and regarding Congress as little more than a confederacy of criminals.

But even if those numbers are modified slightly to account for the "Superman effect", that's still quite a margin, a real testament to the failed extremism of the modern GOP, and probably not news to make Reince Preibus' heartburn go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,906,297 times
Yes, they used to own fiscal responsibility and keeping the country safe. Not no more.

That's what happens when a once great political party goes off the deep end.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's what happens when a once great political party goes off the deep end.
Hair afire, screaming "dog walkers!!!" all the way down.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,992,125 times
And yet the NYTimes says he has lost any advantage he had.

Obama Has Lost Advantage Over G.O.P. on Economy

During the debate over the so-called fiscal cliff in December, public opinion surveys showed more Americans trusted President Obama than trusted Republicans in Congress when it came to handling the nation’s economy. The New Year’s Day deal to avoid going over the cliff, which included higher marginal tax rates on high earners — something Mr. Obama had campaigned on and lobbied for — was largely seen as a victory for the president.

But with more budget battles approaching, over raising the nation’s borrowing limit and perhaps reaching a grand bargain, Mr. Obama’s advantage over Congressional Republicans has all but vanished. Public approval of his handling of the economy has slipped, according to polls, and surveys now show that a roughly equal number of Americans favor Mr. Obama as favor Congressional Republicans on economic matters.

Obama Has Lost Advantage Over G.O.P. on Economy - NYTimes.com

The one graph that shows him with an advantage, and let's be honest a 22% rate really sucks is not comparing apples to apples.

If I was asked about GOP leaders, I couldn't answer positively as I do not trust Boehner to get a good deal done. Now ask me specifically about Rand Paul and you get another answer.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,441,085 times
Lightbulb Pew Poll: Obama more trusted on budget than GOP

The GOP has changed over the past couple of decades. It used to be the party of rational fiscal policy, nonintervention in overseas conflicts, and minimal government intrusion into personal affairs.

It has devolved to the point of now advocating for perpetual war, minimizing responsibility for the wealthy while shifting the burden to workers, and getting the government intimately involved in the most personal of individual situations.

The poll results should surprise no one.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,829,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The GOP has changed over the past couple of decades. It used to be the party of rational fiscal policy, nonintervention in overseas conflicts, and minimal government intrusion into personal affairs.

It has devolved to the point of now advocating for perpetual war, minimizing responsibility for the wealthy while shifting the burden to workers, and getting the government intimately involved in the most personal of individual situations.
I think you have to go back longer than that. 20 years is Reagan. who claimed small gov then made it the biggest ever, claimed fiscal responsibility and tripled the deficit. His words never matched his actions.

I'm thinking you have to go back to Eisenhower or Goldwater to get a real repub. That was back when they let their differences go after election day and got to work for the people again after. What a sad time it is in that party no.

It isn't like reps can say they are Libertarians either. What they were simply has no place any more. The deals with the moral majority and the Kochs has gone into the direction of obscurity. Once it was the Grand Old Party now its just a Group of Pimps.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 AM

No doubt about it. Ike was the best GOP prez in the past 100 years. And maybe the best of either party.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I think you have to go back longer than that. 20 years is Reagan.
Twenty years is Clinton, technically. But I'm sure O.G. just meant loosely "a few decades".

Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,923,093 times
The poll didn't ask me, nor did they ask anybody I know.
But, it figures. If they had asked us, it would not have enhanced the figures they wanted to prove.
Find a premise, then ask the right people, and you will prove the premise.
I don't believe polls.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The poll didn't ask me, nor did they ask anybody I know.
But, it figures. If they had asked us, it would not have enhanced the figures they wanted to prove.
Find a premise, then ask the right people, and you will prove the premise.
I don't believe polls.

Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies