Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM

1,127 posts, read 902,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they were born or naturalized here they are just plain old Americans unless they hold dual citizenship with another country. If it is merely that they had ancestors from Italy that doesn't make them Italian. Italian is a nationality. Culture is another subject.
Italians do have their own culture, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not true. There can be an overlap of ethnicity and nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM

1,127 posts, read 902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's more than just a loose term though -- check the "hispanic" box and you qualify for affirmative action and different college admission standards, you're given preference in hiring -- even if you are blond and blue-eyed. There are many scholarships and grants that are given only to hispanics.

Those who are "white" but whose ancestry is Polish or Greek are not going to be catered to in their own language and there is no Polish month, or Greek month and no one is shoving Polish heritage down everyone's throats. There are no television ads in Greek, you don't see political candidates catering to Greek issues or Polish issues.
I've met non Hispanic White women who have benefited from affirmative action and to suggest that Polish or Greek people are not catered to in their own language is ignorant.

Polish American Heritage Month

NEW GREEK TV OF NEW YORK

Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 AM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Italians do have their own culture, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not true. There can be an overlap of ethnicity and nationality.
I didn't say that they didn't. Where are you getting that from my posts?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,787,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A latino is a person with roots in Latin America. That's all...it's not complicated. Doesn't matter where your family came from before they got to Latin America. Afica, Asia, Europe,...doesn't matter. If you were born in Latin America, you're a Latino.
Seriously.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? Even some Latinos don't get it.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I see your logic, I must be 100 % Aryan to identify as White guy. Guess the White population should be about 10 % then.
What are you talking about? Where did I say that one has to be 100% of anything to identify themselves? If one is part white and part black then identify oneself as such. For example many only identify Obama as just black when that simply isn't true.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,961 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Where did I say that one has to be 100% of anything to identify themselves? If one is part white and part black then identify oneself as such. For example many only identify Obama as just black when that simply isn't true.
What isn't true? So now you know what it is to be "Black". When did you gain this insight? What does the term "Black" mean?

Maybe you are incorrect? Maybe your're equating "Black" with "Negro"? You dont have the slightest idea what being black means... stop offending me.

P.S. ...nor do you have any idea what a Latino or Hispanic is either. Speak to what you have personal knowledge to.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What isn't true? So now you know what it is to be "Black". When did you gain this insight? What does the term "Black" mean?

Maybe you are incorrect? Maybe your're equating "Black" with "Negro"? You dont have the slightest idea what being black means... stop offending me.

P.S. ...nor do you have any idea what a Latino or Hispanic is either. Speak to what you have personal knowledge to.
Obama's about as "white" as he's 'Black".

Latino and Hispanic are bogus ways of counting people; even those who might have 1 ancestor from LatAm or Spain and see themselves as "anglo white" or "Black" or even "American Indian". I've known some anglos with 1 Mexican parent who look "Chicano" but DON'T ID as that.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Obama's about as "white" as he's 'Black".
Some African Americans are more "white" than they are "black." Doesn't change the fact that they are regarded differently than whites are.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Are you denying that racially Obama is half white and half black? Being black is a race just like being white is so what the hell are you talking about that I don't have the slghtest ideas what being black is? Offending you? How are the facts that I just stated offensive? By the way, I never use the word "negro" either.

A Hispanic is a term used for people whose ancestors originated in Spain. A Latino is someone who resides in a Latino country. That isn't a personal opinion that's just a fact. What's wrong with you?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Are you denying that racially Obama is half white and half black? Being black is a race just like being white is so what the hell are you talking about that I don't have the slghtest ideas what being black is? Offending you? How are the facts that I just stated offensive? By the way, I never use the word "negro" either.

A Hispanic is a term used for people whose ancestors originated in Spain. A Latino is someone who resides in a Latino country. That isn't a personal opinion that's just a fact. What's wrong with you?
Actually, it is a personal opinion of yours, as the terms Hispanic and Latino are often used interchangeably to describe any person born in Latin America or who descends from ancestors from the Spanish-speaking Americas. I do prefer Latino, as many Latin Americans have little to no Spanish ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies