Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay marriage be legal on federal level?
Yes, it should be legal 149 66.22%
No, Im againts it 50 22.22%
Im in favour for civil unions but not marriage. 26 11.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM

142 posts, read 120,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But it doesn't make sense because then a couple becomes married or un-married depending on what state they live in. Your right to be married shouldn't depend on the whims of the people in your state of residence.
I agree.

But a federal law is not the answer. Congress does not, and should not, regulate marriage. That is for states to do. As I said, I do not thnk is should be constitutionally permissible for states to deny same-sex couples the right to marry. That is an issue for the Supreme Court, not Congress.

FYI -- Some states refuse to recognize marriages in other states that do not comport with the laws of that state. First cousin marriage is an example. Some states allow it. Others don't; some of those others will recognize in all or some circumstances those who were married in other states.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 PM

37,664 posts, read 21,803,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
haha this made me laugh. against nature? Get an education please! Homosexuality is 100% natural, its something you are born with, its how nature created you. Homosexuality existed since human beings, homosexuality is also present in hundreds of animals, but homophobia only exist in one - humans. So who is the unnatural one?
It might be natural, but it's not normal. It is not normal for the male of a species to shun all females and not procreate. If a generation or more of any species acted in this manner, it would be extinct, hence; not normal behavior.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Incorrect. I decided early on that I didn't want kids, but I've been married and will be married this year again. Marriage is a legal contract. It's social and economic. It serves a very good purpose. Kids are incidental, and married people do not have to have kids, the same way that married people do not have to own a sofa, they can own easy chairs instead. If someone wants them, cool beans, and if they don't, fine too (as in my case).
The children are our future, and their parents raising them to grow up and become healthy, well adjusted, functioning adults in our society is so vitally important, that we tolerate the leeches in society like you. Your kind are very rare, and our dependence on children in our future, is important enough for us to not wish to rock the boat. besides, even if some people don't want kids, they can still be surprised with a pregnancy.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
BBC News - Gay marriage: Supreme Court weighs Defense of Marriage Act

Lets see how things turn out with US supreme court
Let's hope they are going to protect federalism, and not render another Dred Scott type of decision.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But it doesn't make sense because then a couple becomes married or un-married depending on what state they live in. Your right to be married shouldn't depend on the whims of the people in your state of residence.
It already does, some states allow first cousins, or very young girls to marry, those marriage are not recognized in another state.

Some people seem to be under the illusion that marriage is the same in every state, when in fact no to states have the same marriage laws.

State-by-State Marriage "Age of Consent" Laws

check out those people in Puerto Rico, wow, are they ever discriminatory

Puerto Rico:

The age of consent is twenty-one for males. The age of consent is also twenty-one for females who may apply for and receive a license at a younger age by reason of pregnancy or the birth of a child. Male applicants eighteen years of age and female applicants sixteen years of age may marry with parental consent. Younger males and females can marry with parental consent and receive a license by reason of pregnancy, the birth of a child, or other special circumstances. Common law marriage is not recognized.

And....

Oh, the horror of discrimination, how can this be?????? It can be, because of federalism, where states can decide their own marriage laws.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,702,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The children are our future, and their parents raising them to grow up and become healthy, well adjusted, functioning adults in our society is so vitally important, that we tolerate the leeches in society like you. Your kind are very rare, and our dependence on children in our future, is important enough for us to not wish to rock the boat. besides, even if some people don't want kids, they can still be surprised with a pregnancy.
Oh my. What a "family values" rant.

The only leeches in this country are the rich and corporations who are living on the backs of the rest, particularly the working poor and middle class. However, the NUTJOBS in this country who wish to turn this country's laws into laws straight from their own preachers' interpretations of the Bible are a bunch of sickos.

What really gets me is how you people who chest-bang about how HOLY you are, and how MORAL you are, and how WELL-ADJUSTED you are, then put your money and your support behind male right wing "family values" politicians who get caught with their pants down in parks getting services from men, who get caught massaging minors, who get caught traveling abroad to stick their weenies into mistresses, who get caught being diapered by prostitutes, and then have the NERVE to say that God will forgive them, and that they're good people to begin with.

The truth is actually very ugly. Right wingers, particularly the ones that chest bang about their so-called family values and how moral they are, are THE most amoral individuals in this country today. And don't even bother to defend yourself and your so-called "moral majority" nutjobs. In fact, the moment one of you right wingers claims to have family values, I automatically suspect a PERVERT. If "family values" right wingers are moral, this country is in really bad shape, and I'm Jennifer Lopez.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM

203 posts, read 515,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
You are correct. It is a state issue, and the Feds have no legitimate role. BTW, I am pro "gay" marriage, but against same-sex marriage. A gay man and a gay woman do and should continue to have the right to marry each other.
That has to be one of the most stupid things I have ever read on here.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,249,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsaustin View Post
That has to be one of the most stupid things I have ever read on here.
he was trying to sound smart and sarcastic but just made a fool of himself.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM

203 posts, read 515,202 times
Quote:
he was trying to sound smart and sarcastic but just made a fool of himself.
Ahh, I see.

He probably should have put "/sarcasm" in there then. It is hard to tell on these threads who is being sarcastic or not because some people who are really over the top believe the things they post with a fervor.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM

142 posts, read 120,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Childless couples? Leeches?

Here's a clue: we aren't suffering from a dearth of homo sapiens. There are 7+ billion of us, in every conceivably ecological niche on the planet. And the numbers are growing.

Here's another clue: childless couples pay taxes. And they do not get the deductions for children, so they pay a higher percentage of their incomes as tax. They help build publich schools and playgrounds and Head Start and school lunch programs and all sorts that things that benefit only the children of others. Since they have no children, they buy fewer things like diapers and baby food and ordinary food that is untaxed in many jurisdictions, and spend disproportionately (because they have the disposable income) on things like restaurant food (which is usually taxed) and vacations (which include things like hotels and rental cars which are disproportionately taxed). So as a group they tend to pay disproportionately more sales taxes, as well.

When it comes to leeching, people who have children (such as myself) do so at the expense of those who do not. Not that I think this is unfair -- it is entirely reasonable, in my opinion. I am just pointing out that to label childless couples as leeches is laughably inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies