Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGuy View Post
A long time ago, I'd bet pensions were on a voting platform. The people have voted for this.
if you believe that to be the case, please present something more than mere speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 AM

556 posts, read 622,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
So? It's exactly what you righties have been screaming about for years.

The boss gets massive, disproportionate compensation and benefits. Just like any business. That's how you want government to be run, right? Like a business -- because, you know, it's so much more efficient and effective. And you worship at the feet of other CEOs who make more in 10 minutes than his/her employees make in a week ...

Sounds perfect to me. A conservative's dream.
Except that the taxpayers are on the hook for this money for the rest of her life.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
This is unusual. In most states the highest paid government employee is the head coach of the state university's football or basketball team. I'm not saying this woman isn't overpaid, but at least she provides a public service for her pay.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 AM

370 posts, read 440,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Except that the taxpayers are on the hook for this money for the rest of her life.

Dont like it move somewhere else. Are taxpayers forced to live in a city?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 AM

370 posts, read 440,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
But you have an option about overpaid CEOs - don't patronize their companies. What option do you have if you're a taxpayer in California?

Uh move to another state. Are you forced to live somewhere?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no wonder they're going broke.
the interesting thing is, if you go looking for a job with california government(s) today, the salaries they're offering aren't all that great. i saw some positions open in bay area gov't's in my field... the pay was mediocre.

Last edited by le roi; 03-26-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is unusual. In most states the highest paid government employee is the head coach of the state university's football or basketball team. I'm not saying this woman isn't overpaid, but at least she provides a public service for her pay.
In general college head coaches are probably overpaid, but there are certain instances where they win big and bring in mountains of revenue. If they had to pay the players, the economics of the sport would be much different, and IMO you'd see those salaries go down.

In this case you're talking about a county administrator. I'm not really sure what she could have done to justify a salary like that.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Uh, Wall Street types get paid by the private sector, not taxes. Huge difference!
You're right, technically the Federal Reserve is part of the private sector, even though Congress has granted it the power to extend credit to Wall Street on behalf of all Americans.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Of course not. I've said repeatedly that I understand the difference.

I'm talking about something apparently too complex for you to understand, though, so I apologize.

I simply find it amusing that righties are appalled by this factoid, when in fact they've been trying for decades to get government completely privatized. It's the left that has consistently argued that we can't do that for ... the reasons you keep repeating.

Of COURSE it's stupid. Yet the GOP has advocated doing it this for decades. You simply can't resist the urge to take every penny the taxpayers have in your drive to privatize government functions ... while trying to hide the fact that private companies cost a fortune to run, not the least of which is the bloated salaries that the GOP worships.

Or maybe ... RWNJs somehow "forgot" that private business is about profit and costs a LOT of money to run? Yes, that must be it. Private enterprise does EVERYTHING better than government, according to the righties on this forum and around the country ... as long as you don't look at the bottom line. Me, I'm looking at a bottom line that is actually WAY less than your average CEO, and laughing at Republican shock.

I'm sorry you don't understand. Everyone else seems to.
You keep saying that the GOP has been trying for decades to completely privatize government, but I can't find that fact anywhere. Perhaps you'd like to share your proof?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
So I take it you're not one of the "Private enterprise does everything better than the government" types? Because bloated, out-of-control salaries are a hallmark of today's private enterprise. That's my point. I'm sorry you missed it.
And when those bloated CEO salaries bankrupt the company, they go out of business (unless you're a green company owned by political donors, but that's another issue). When the municipalities go out of business, they just raise taxes to keep the gravy train going.

That's my point. Sorry you don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies